CaptainJackSparrow

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu | 10 MAY 2019 | Pika Pika

I don’t necessarily agree that sequels always drop. Especially when the original can have room to grow in terms of quality and box office. 

I mentioned this before but it seems like the people behind this film, already know what the weaknesses are to the film hence why they’re hiring a very good screen writer for the sequel. 

I think if they can make a better quality sequel, the sequel can definitely increase in terms of box office. 

In terms of the marketing, I think it’s one of the better marketed WB films. Yes most of the marketing has been through Reynolds and is very similar to what Ryan does for his Gin company and Deadpool films BUT I imagine WB planned for him to take the reigns of marketing since in recent years he’s very effective with marketing things. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don’t necessarily agree that sequels always drop. Especially when the original can have room to grow in terms of quality and box office. 

I mentioned this before but it seems like the people behind this film, already know what the weaknesses are to the film hence why they’re hiring a very good screen writer for the sequel. 

I think if they can make a better quality sequel, the sequel can definitely increase in terms of box office. 

In terms of the marketing, I think it’s one of the better marketed WB films. Yes most of the marketing has been through Reynolds and is very similar to what Ryan does for his Gin company and Deadpool films BUT I imagine WB planned for him to take the reigns of marketing since in recent years he’s very effective with marketing things. 

Sequels don't always drop but they usually do and the quality of the sequel only matters if people got invested in the first movie. If non-fans leave without getting converted into fans, they likely won't give the sequel a shot regardless of marketing.

John Wick 2 increased yes but only because John Wick had such a good reaction. If John Wick 2 was awesome but John Wick sucked then it would have still decreased.

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

already know what the weaknesses are to the film hence why they’re hiring a very good screen writer for the sequel. 

The only thing in that guy's resume I can make out as good was 22 Jump Street and I'm sure most of that is Lord & Miller.

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Sequels don't always drop but they usually do and the quality of the sequel only matters if people got invested in the first movie. If non-fans leave without getting converted into fans, they likely won't give the sequel a shot regardless of marketing.

John Wick 2 increased yes but only because John Wick had such a good reaction. If John Wick 2 was awesome but John Wick sucked then it would have still decreased.

I don’t think John Wick is a good example no matter what because that franchise had plenty of room to grow at the box office. 

And its not like this movie is getting trashed by critics. Nor did all Non-Pokémon fans hate it. There have been critics who know nothing about Pokémon, who also enjoyed it. 

I think if they drop the ball on the sequel then you’re 100% right but I don’t think it’s fair to write off a franchise without seeing its box office results/audience reception first. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Gotta ask: Are there any favorite Pokemon-anime seasons/movies that you fellas love or so?

Johto and Kanto cause that is what i watched the most.

I have not been keeping up with the anime at all since 4th gen.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

53 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Movie is at a 69 now.

Nice.

I had this as my prediction. Hope it stays. So Ryan Reynolds can market it 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

See if I was behind DP I would have made a Pokemon movie that isn't just for Pokemon fans but one meant to convert non-fans into fans. That's how you build a movie franchise.

What makes you think this is actually possible to the degree that you would like? The reception to the first movie and the massive drops that happened to subsequent movies showed that the things about the franchise that fans love are the things that the general audience hate. Pretty much every single Pokemon property involves humans interacting with (mostly) small creatures that can only make animal noises and say variations of their name. This is a very childish concept at its core, and I think you overestimate how much the average person is willing to embrace it. Speaking as a complete non-fan of Pokemon, I think they did the best they could with their marketing to get as many non-fans interested as they could without alienating the core fanbase, and I'd like to hear what you think they specifically could have done better.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

It's pretty clear that Pikachu is only opening to 70-80 mil because of Endgame' massive overperformance which stole buzz from this movie. I bet that the movie would open to 100 mil any other time of the year barring December.

Edited by lorddemaxus

24 minutes ago, Perfundle said:

What makes you think this is actually possible to the degree that you would like? The reception to the first movie and the massive drops that happened to subsequent movies showed that the things about the franchise that fans love are the things that the general audience hate. Pretty much every single Pokemon property involves humans interacting with (mostly) small creatures that can only make animal noises and say variations of their name. This is a very childish concept at its core, and I think you overestimate how much the average person is willing to embrace it. Speaking as a complete non-fan of Pokemon, I think they did the best they could with their marketing to get as many non-fans interested as they could without alienating the core fanbase, and I'd like to hear what you think they specifically could have done better.

Well for one thing, not leaving audiences confused (which has been a criticism) is a good step towards accomplishing that. Also, lots of average people have embraced it. Pokemon fans aren't some weird group of people lol.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's pretty clear that Pikachu is only opening to 70-80 mil because of Endgame' massive overperformance which stole buzz from this movie. I bet that the movie would open to 100 mil any other time of the year barring December.

I said this in the tracking thread but I feel like buzz for this just peaked a while ago. That or the actual demand for this was overestimated in certain circles. It happens. 

Edited by filmlover

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You know majority of people would say opening that much is pretty impressive. Anyways the sequel will make all the money cause it won't be competing with one the second biggest films of all time.

Seeing so many tweets from France from people saying they went to see movie and surprised it came out well lol

4 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

*Reading the last several pages*

shocked andre the giant GIF

My favorite part of the last few pages was that long string of posts that says "You've chosen to ignore content by"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Pikachu is back at a 70% and it's thanks to 2 Top Critics. The plot thickens...

Note, none of the positive reviews from yesterday and are RT critics have been posted yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

My favorite part of the last few pages was that long string of posts that says "You've chosen to ignore content by"

I hope I’m not one the people you got on ignore if not can you tell me how to do it 

😬

Just now, Minnale101 said:

I hope I’m not one the people you got on ignore if not can you tell me how to do it 

😬

Hover over someone's username, click ignore user

• Like 1

You know, it would be kind of interesting if this opened to 100M+. I love me some good weekend threads where the #s are actually interesting 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1