CaptainJackSparrow

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu | 10 MAY 2019 | Pika Pika

Just now, Clouseau said:

I assume this movie will make tens of millions more from home media and TV sales on top of whatever comes in at the box office, so might an apparently low gross still be just fine for the studio to be happy?

Maybe what is really at play over the next couple of weeks is not whether Pikachu 2 happens or not, but what kind of budget will Pikachu 2 get?

It’s gonna do a lot of merchandise sales with pikachu plushes and TCG selling a lot 

pikachu budget depends on VFX. There’s only 1 big actor in the movie that’s ryan Reynolds 

I take it Legendary aren’t seeing a single cent from the merchandise for this thing?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's not underperforming. It's literally beating Avengers in ticket sales on Pulse right now.

It literally isn't:

Updated by @akvalley: 2019-05-10 14:56:06 Central (Lock time Fridays 11:00:00)
BUY TIME	TICKETS	MOVIE TITLE
--------------------------------------------------
2019-05-10 14:00:00	982	Avengers Endgame (2019)
2019-05-10 14:00:00	923	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
2019-05-10 14:00:00	180	The Hustle (2019)
2019-05-10 14:00:00	120	Long Shot
2019-05-10 14:00:00	100	Avengers Endgame The IMAX 2D Experience (2019)
2019-05-10 14:00:00	84	Avengers Endgame 3D (2019)
2019-05-10 14:00:00	80	The Intruder (2019)
2019-05-10 14:00:00	80	Pokémon Detective Pikachu 3D
2019-05-10 14:00:00	70	Poms
2019-05-10 14:00:00	44	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
2019-05-10 14:00:00	40	UglyDolls
2019-05-10 14:00:00	33	Tolkien
2019-05-10 14:00:00	29	Captain Marvel (2019)

----

2019-05-10 13:00:00	975	Avengers Endgame (2019)
2019-05-10 13:00:00	870	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
2019-05-10 13:00:00	188	The Hustle (2019)
2019-05-10 13:00:00	113	Avengers Endgame The IMAX 2D Experience (2019)
2019-05-10 13:00:00	111	Long Shot
2019-05-10 13:00:00	108	Avengers Endgame 3D (2019)
2019-05-10 13:00:00	82	Poms
2019-05-10 13:00:00	82	The Intruder (2019)
2019-05-10 13:00:00	74	Pokémon Detective Pikachu 3D
2019-05-10 13:00:00	43	UglyDolls
2019-05-10 13:00:00	40	Tolkien
2019-05-10 13:00:00	39	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
2019-05-10 13:00:00	29	Captain Marvel (2019)

---

Close, yes.  But when all EG is factored in and all Pika Pika is factored in, EG is clearly winning.

Checking backwards, you have to go all the way back to the overnight hours when most of the country was asleep to see Pika Pika beating EG.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AJG said:

They're getting one more movie out of this Pokemon thing and I see it going the same way as TMNT 2 and Muppets Most Wanted.

The people that want to see what live action and modern day incarnations of Pokemon look like got their fill the first time round. 

Plus, this is a pretty forgettable movie. Nothing that big audiences would ask for more 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, tupek said:

Plus, this is a pretty forgettable movie. Nothing that big audiences would ask for more 

The world building was the biggest praise the movie got and the Pokemon, people want to see more of that world. 

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 2

Come on, do people really start talking about franchising damn Pokemon movies?

Buy a Switch, get the Gen 8 game next. Better Pokemon experience that way.

1 minute ago, youcantseemyname said:

Come on, do people really start talking about franchising damn Pokemon movies?

Buy a Switch, get the Gen 8 game next. Better Pokemon experience that way.

Pokémon IP makes 2.5 billion a year with live action movies it can do 3 billion 

I don’t see why they can’t do both 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The world building was the biggest praise the movie got and the Pokemon, people want to see more of that world. 

And they likely will

Just now, Minnale101 said:

Pokémon IP makes 2.5 billion a year with live action movies it can do 3 billion 

I don’t see why they can’t do both 

Must suck for them the PCU is happening. And won't have to compete with the 2nd biggest film of all time and won't be overshadowed.

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Must suck for them the PCU is happening. And won't have to compete with the 2nd biggest film of all time and won't be overshadowed.

Wouldn't say that at this stage in the game.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, cannastop said:

So, why are you friends with this person? Is the existence of Justice Smith propaganda?

I'm related to them, can't exactly avoid it. ^^;

(Also they probably think he's "brainwashing to have interracial marriage normalized". They said similar things before at seeing interracial couples in other things like commercials.)

Edited by FrozenUnicorn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

god this thread is one of the worst I've seen on this godless site

Only reason for the weekend thread not being worse then it already is is that this is absorbing a lot of the bad.

Edited by Mulder

I can’t wait for John wick and Godzilla and Aladdin. So people can go in those threads and focus on those movies 

marvel movie threads are filled with marvel fans 

this thread barley has any people who like Pokémon and are optimistic and just thinking negatively all the time 

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

I can’t wait for John wick and Godzilla and Aladdin. So people can go in those threads and focus on those movies 

this thread barley has any people who like Pokémon and are optimistic and just thinking negatively all the time 

I'm on you side 

• Like 1

Last night was my 10 year daughter time to see DP. Tonight is the turn of my 3 year old little one.

A pokemon fan.

The good news is I go on both. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Clouseau said:

I assume this movie will make tens of millions more from home media and TV sales on top of whatever comes in at the box office, so might an apparently low gross still be just fine for the studio to be happy?

Maybe what is really at play over the next couple of weeks is not whether Pikachu 2 happens or not, but what kind of budget will Pikachu 2 get?

When people use 2.5x of production budget for the break even point, that includes ancillary income like streaming and Blueray sales.  The 2.5x production budget is a rough guide that usually works out pretty well, which accounts for the advertising budget and basically all forms of income that go to the studio.  So if a movie has a ridiculously low or high advertising budget compared to the production budget, the formula doesn't work; or if a movie doesn't do that well in theaters, but let's say it's like movie #8 in a beloved 9-movie series so everyone buys it on BlueRay anyway to complete their collection, the formula won't work either.  And if you do a disproportionate amount of sales in China, where the studio only gets a 25% cut of the ticket instead of the 50% they get in the U.S., that throws things off, too.

But most of the time, in general, take the production budget, multiply it by 2.5, and if you make that much in ticket sales,  you break even, all things considered.

I don't think any of us have all the information necessary to know what number DP needs to hit to get a sequel, or to get a big budget sequel, or whatever.  There's probably a lot of complicated math going on based on what effect, if any, the movie has on all the other Pokemon related income streams.  For example, one can imagine a scenario in which it makes financial sense for Nintendo to help defray the cost of the movie for the studio to get a sequel made, if DP boosts Nintendo's Pokemon-related income enough.

Edited by andrewgr
typo
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

god this thread is one of the worst I've seen on this godless site

Check the alita thread, if you haven’t. 

11 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

The ignore button is your best friend.

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The ignore button is your best friend.

How do you access it. I can’t find it