CaptainJackSparrow

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu | 10 MAY 2019 | Pika Pika

Well, after seeing how many other Summer movies this year have already been underperforming to such an absurd degree, this movie’s box office numbers are beginning to look pretty decent in hindsight. 

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, after seeing how many other Summer movies this year have already been underperforming to such an absurd degree, this movie’s box office numbers are beginning to look pretty decent in hindsight. 

For a movie that had as much going against it as humanly possibly I'd say it has performed pretty solid for a first go round.

Edited by Cappoedameron

Will reach 140M this weekend but the  it will have lost almost 80% of the screens. I think it can reach 143M but 145 looks hard. Also lost China screens so overseas looks like its diminishing . I would say 144DOM 429WW looks good considering it has some legs in Japan?

Edited by ilovetheblues86

6 hours ago, ilovetheblues86 said:

Will reach 140M this weekend but the  it will have lost almost 80% of the screens. I think it can reach 143M but 145 looks hard. Also lost China screens so overseas looks like its diminishing . I would say 144DOM 429WW looks good considering it has some legs in Japan?

Solid for a first entry and it proved to have pretty solid legs for how much competition it had. 

Edited by Cappoedameron

140.8 DOM , 421.3 WW 

Warcraft has 433.7 WW. 12.4M to go. Its hard, but WW looked good last weeend= 1.25 DOM + 3.3 OS = 4.5M. I think we can reach at least 426 WW next week.

Edited by ilovetheblues86

On 6/17/2019 at 6:16 PM, ilovetheblues86 said:

140.8 DOM , 421.3 WW 

Warcraft has 433.7 WW. 12.4M to go. Its hard, but WW looked good last weeend= 1.25 DOM + 3.3 OS = 4.5M. I think we can reach at least 426 WW next week.

It's almost tripled it's budget, I'd consider that a success.

It lost too many screens the past 2 weeks domestically also Aladdin is much bigger in japan than originally thought 

definitely will fall under Warcraft 

legendary prob more worried about godzilla loss than this tho lol

It's PTA is dropping fast. Tuesday will be decent then it will fall like a rock. EG is holding well, JW3 is doing great, Aladdin is insane. It will lose more screens this weekend and be near dead in 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

It lost too many screens the past 2 weeks domestically also Aladdin is much bigger in japan than originally thought 

definitely will fall under Warcraft 

legendary prob more worried about godzilla loss than this tho lol

Shame we'll have to wait until Mario for the false king to fall

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cdsacken said:

It's PTA is dropping fast. Tuesday will be decent then it will fall like a rock. EG is holding well, JW3 is doing great, Aladdin is insane. It will lose more screens this weekend and be near dead in 2 weeks.

Meh, it did more then fine and I'm sure the sequel will do better. Pikachu had insane competition from the word go. I firmly believe that if it was any other Marvel movie competing against Pikachu aside from Endgame, Pika would have taken a lot more money in and screens but the monster EG became affected it. A sequel won't have to deal with anything like that happening.

Right now Pika is the highest grossing WB film of the year. It'll definitely be the highest grossing family film WB has had in a long time though since the first Lego Movie.

8 hours ago, stealthyfrog said:

Shame we'll have to wait until Mario for the false king to fall

Haha. As if.

If people won't show up for a Pokemon film, why the hell would they show up for Mario?

Warcraft (2016) is like the Lich King, rather, unkillable.

56 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Haha. As if.

If people won't show up for a Pokemon film, why the hell would they show up for Mario?

Warcraft (2016) is like the Lich King, rather, unkillable.

If the Mario film is animated they might show up.

11 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I think the problem is this was just for hardcore Fanboys. General audiences was not interested. And the mediocre reviews and help bring families or general audience is in. The film did okay at the box office all things considering but it was greatly overhyped. I guess families were waiting for Aladdin considering how well is doing it in the US and overseas.

12 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's almost tripled it's budget, I'd consider that a success.

more importantly with a healthy % from dom and os-ch ensuring good returns,

Dom 143.5*0.55 = 79

Ch 93*0.25 = 23

OS-Ch 192*0.40 = 77

(428.5 ww)

79+23+77 = 179 on 150 prod budget

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

I think the problem is this was just for hardcore Fanboys. General audiences was not interested. And the mediocre reviews and help bring families or general audience is in. The film did okay at the box office all things considering but it was greatly overhyped. I guess families were waiting for Aladdin considering how well is doing it in the US and overseas.

Aladdin had mediocre reviews too but overcame them cause audience was charmed by the leads and Will Smith is still a draw in the right role. Pokemon has just as many fans as Aladdin and they sure nailed the cuteness factor. but whose idea was to cast that punchable face as the audience surrogate? I bet the movie would have done way better if it had an actual likable, charismatic lead. DP needed a Naomi Scott type of breakout and it didn't have it. 

Edited by Valonqar

This movie’s reviews were fine. They didn’t hurt the film. The problem is that we severely overestimated the amount of interest a live action Pokémon film would generate. This movie at the very least isn’t a flop. 

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

Haha. As if.

I wouldn't define making close to triple it's budget as people not showing up.

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

This movie’s reviews were fine. They didn’t hurt the film. The problem is that we severely overestimated the amount of interest a live action Pokémon film would generate. This movie at the very least isn’t a flop. 

I think it wasn't the lack of interest, I think there was a massive amount of interest. Unfortunately it came out at a really crappy time, 2 weeks post the monster of EG. Had all of it's energy sucked out because of EG. It was not released in IMAX which did effect it's gross and theaters chose to air EG which was still doing unheard of business in the evenings, so Pika lost it's screens during the most expensive part of the day. Any other movie aside from EG, Pika would have made a lot more and taken it out including other Marvel films.

The fact that it was able to do this much despite the many things going against it is a testament to the power of the brand IMO.

A sequel won't have any of these issues and if I was the sequel I'd consider bringing in TRio and Red into the mix. Also since people had a problem with Jaden then how about he becomes a Pichu in the sequel and goes missing so his father whom is back in Pikachu's body is trying to find his son. He meets Red played by Tom Holland whom is on his Pokemon journey and is on the trail of Team Rocket led by the iconic trio and they both team up to solve the case and get back Tim.

I see Lucy being in the film if any reason cause Psyduck was a star of DP.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Haha 3