Jump to content
CaptainJackSparrow

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu | Legendary. Moves to WB from Universal| May 10 2019 | Ryan Reynolds to play Detective Pikachu

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

 

So? In terms of world-building, Detective Pikachu does a FANTASTIC job. It brings the world to life in a way that the other games aren't able to. That's not a knock on those games. You get to see Pokemon and people interact in a way that the main games rarely get into (the 3D graphics help here but the writing more-so). You also get to interact directly with Pokemon (and see how they interact with people and other Pokemon) and it makes them feel more real rather than just having a Pokedex entry and an avatar during battle scenes as you tell it what to do.

 

The story is fine* but Detective Pikachu's strength over the other games is definitely that it went out of its way to make the world feel WAY more real. Like in the game, the Pokemon world feels a lot more like an actual, functioning society than in a game where many towns have like 2 houses and a Pokecenter (with a store for Pokemon items in it for the current gens).  For exploration-adventure games, those small towns are fine: they make sense, they keep the plot going, and you can restore/restock as necessary. 

 

But because it's a mystery game: you can focus on just one city. You can set up parks and thus how people interact with the Pokemon who live in the park (and how the Pokemon interact with the park and other Pokemon!). In the mainstream games, you'd just get trainers. 

 

*although they better change one thing from the game or the movie might not be a crowd-pleaser.

Yeah that's the point of a spin-off game, to be able to do those things. It still doesn't really make it better then the mainline games in terms of worldbuilding or fleshing out the world when it's basically just building off of that. Those small details are nice but not really essential. 

 

2 hours ago, Wormow said:

Pokemon is popular because the world of Pokemon are so beloved and rich. That's why Pokemon can spawn so many spin-off games, merchandise, TCG and manga.

 

Do you remember that small game called Pokemon Go that became a global phenomenon and the biggest mobile game in the world? It is centered around catching Pokemon, no player vs player battling at all. Pokemon is what sold that game. 

 

That's why it's taken over 20 years for the Pokemon Company to agree to create a movie. An adaption of a character taking on gym after gym doesn't lend itself to a great story on the big screen (and one with major appeal to all four quadrants) but a story about a character exploring the world of Pokemon with his partner Pikachu does. 

That's not really what I'm talking about with Water Bottle, but Pokemon Go is still an exploration game in fact it's whole point is exploring the real world around you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah that's the point of a spin-off game, to be able to do those things. It still doesn't really make it better then the mainline games in terms of worldbuilding or fleshing out the world when it's basically just building off of that. Those small details are nice but not really essential. 

2

 

Actually, it is still better for the simple fact that those small details make a HUGE difference. I've played every generation of Pokemon games since the '90s, I still play these main RPG games to this day, I love them, and it was Detective Pikachu where I really felt like it was a real world. No other game has been really able to do that. Because to make a world feel real, it's those small details that are kinda essential to really make it work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

 

Actually, it is still better for the simple fact that those small details make a HUGE difference. I've played every generation of Pokemon games since the '90s, I still play these main RPG games to this day, I love them, and it was Detective Pikachu where I really felt like it was a real world. No other game has been really able to do that. Because to make a world feel real, it's those small details that are kinda essential to really make it work.

Pokemon to me works best when it's more fantastical but that's just my take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mulder said:

Pokemon to me works best when it's more fantastical but that's just my take.

 

What? I think you mean abstract. Cause all the big good fantastical worlds (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Middle-Earth) thrive on the small details making their worlds seem as real as possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

 

What? I think you mean abstract. Cause all the big good fantastical worlds (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Middle-Earth) thrive on the small details making their worlds seem as real as possible.

Not really, people got really mad when Star Wars got into it's political stuff in the PT even if I was fine with it. Middle Earth I know the books get into stuff a bit more, but the movies really don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still can’t believe how good the Pokémon look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Not really, people got really mad when Star Wars got into it's political stuff in the PT even if I was fine with it. Middle Earth I know the books get into stuff a bit more, but the movies really don't.

 

The political stuff in Star Wars wasn't necessarily handled right by Lucas nor do major plot points count as small details. Small details make the world seem more real precisely because they aren't plot points in movies or TV shows. 

 

The Lord of The Rings movies have millions of small details. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Not really, people got really mad when Star Wars got into it's political stuff in the PT even if I was fine with it. Middle Earth I know the books get into stuff a bit more, but the movies really don't.

A huge problem with the PT was that for all its attempts at world building, it rarely felt very real. That was a strength of the OT people loved in particular, that it felt like a real place people lived in, not just a space fantasy.

 

LOTR too, felt incredibly real and lived in (the Hobbit often did not, same problem as the PT).

Edited by Ithil
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

 

The political stuff in Star Wars wasn't necessarily handled right by Lucas nor do major plot points count as small details. Small details make the world seem more real precisely because they aren't plot points in movies or TV shows. 

 

The Lord of The Rings movies have millions of small details. 

Yeah but then you're muddling the point here. Is it about small details ((Which the mainline games have plenty of)) or worldbuilding?

 

2 minutes ago, Ithil said:

A huge problem with the PT was that for all its attempts at world building, it rarely felt very real. That was a strength of the OT people loved in particular, that it felt like a real place people lived in, not just a space fantasy.

 

LOTR too, felt incredibly real and lived in (the Hobbit often did not, same problem as the PT).

I'd argue both of these points but this is the Pokemon thread not the SW or Middle Earth thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the fuck is this crap.

Edited by The Futurist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mulder said:

Yeah but then you're muddling the point here. Is it about small details ((Which the mainline games have plenty of)) or worldbuilding?

 

Small details ARE worldbuilding. Hence why I said Detective Pikachu was the game best at bringing the Pokemon world to life. Because while the mainline games have small details, Detective Pikachu had way more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Water Bottle said:

 

Small details ARE worldbuilding. Hence why I said Detective Pikachu was the game best at bringing the Pokemon world to life. Because while the mainline games have small details, Detective Pikachu had way more.

Me and you have very different ideas and definitions of world building and I'll leave it at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I still can’t believe how good the Pokémon look. 

I think it helps 3D models of Pokemon have existed for at almost 20 years with the console spin-offs so most of the reworking to a more 'realistic' environment isn't as difficult compared to say a 2D animated character like Scooby Doo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think it helps 3D models of Pokemon have existed for at almost 20 years with the console spin-offs so most of the reworking to a more 'realistic' environment isn't as difficult compared to say a 2D animated character like Scooby Doo.

 

CGI has also advanced a lot  from the Scooby Doo movies lol. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What makes this so much different then other movies on Youtube is the number of likes. Number of views is one thing but number of likes actually shows people that are likely to watch this. Right now this is close to 850k 

 

That is the most of any movie on WB's list of trailers including the Aquaman trailer from Comic Con. That is incredible. If this gets to 1 million likes, you can bet this movie will be destroying The Avengers.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

 

CGI has also advanced a lot  from the Scooby Doo movies lol. :P

To be honest, it was the first example that popped into my head. 

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

What makes this so much different then other movies is the number of likes. Number of views is one thing but number of likes actually shows people that are likely to watch this. Right now this is close to 850k 

 

That is the most of any movie on WB's list of trailers including the Aquaman trailer from Comic Con. That is incredible. If this gets to 1 million likes, you can bet this movie will be destroying The Avengers.

TBH I don't think Avengers numbers are likely, A OW similar to The Secret Life of Pets? That is more realistic 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To be honest, it was the first example that popped into my head. 

TBH I don't think Avengers numbers are likely, A OW similar to The Secret Life of Pets? That is more realistic 

You really do underestimate Pokemon don't you? It's the highest grossing IP of all time. More then Marvel and Star Wars. It reigns over Disney.

 

This isn't a SLOP that is a disgrace to what Pokemon is. Don't get me wrong, I love that movie but it does not hold not even a iota to Pokemon IP.

Edited by Cappoedameron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Premium George said:

I can't stop watching this trailer. Best trailer of all time.

I’ve literally watched the trailer around 10 times now.  So much detail, it’s really good.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I thought I wasn't the targeted demographics being an early millenial then a few seconds in..."OMG IT'S PSYDUCK!"

 

250px-Psykokwak-RFVF.png

 

Welp.

5bebb2d6c101a.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.