CaptainJackSparrow

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu | Legendary. Moves to WB from Universal| May 10 2019 | Ryan Reynolds to play Detective Pikachu

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

The test screenings were apparently great on this. At worst, I see Goosebumps/2manji level quality-wise [which is to say, pretty good].

Yea I heard test screenings were really good for it but to be honest, I don't like putting too much stock in them. I do think the way the trailer looks kinda confirms the test screenings BUT you still just never know lol 

• Like 2

You know the movie is good if the effects and the Pokemon were not done and tthe movie was still able to get rave reviews.

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Yea I heard test screenings were really good for it but to be honest, I don't like putting too much stock in them. I do think the way the trailer looks kinda confirms the test screenings BUT you still just never know lol 

Test screenings weren't for critics; lots of random people got invited so it doesn't say much to the quality of the movie but then again, it's Pokemon. No one is expecting like something Oscar-worthy so as long as it's fun and enjoyable to watch over the Summer, then I guess it'll be good.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wormow said:

Test screenings weren't for critics; lots of random people got invited so it doesn't say much to the quality of the movie but then again, it's Pokemon. No one is expecting like something Oscar-worthy so as long as it's fun and enjoyable to watch over the Summer, then I guess it'll be good.

I know that lol Hence why I said I don’t put much stock into them in general 

On the Jumanji note, knowing that this shit has serious breakout potential, is it really smart to open this in the middle of May, considering the insane amount of competition it'll have to deal with? It'll likely open two weeks after Avengers, and then it faces Aladdin, Godzilla, Pets, Dark Phoenix, MIB, Toy Story, etc.. There's a big movie opening almost every weekend in next year's Summer. Moving it to the old Wonder Woman 1984 slot in early November would be a wise idea (Terminator and especially Sonic would get the fuck away from there asap). Christmas wouldn't be bad too, but it might run the risk of cannibalization between it, Jumanji and Star Wars.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Didn't expect this to have more views than the Toy Story 4 teaser. 

26 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

On the Jumanji note, knowing that this shit has serious breakout potential, is it really smart to open this in the middle of May, considering the insane amount of competition it'll have to deal with? It'll likely open two weeks after Avengers, and then it faces Aladdin, Godzilla, Pets, Dark Phoenix, MIB, Toy Story, etc.. There's a big movie opening almost every weekend in next year's Summer. Moving it to the old Wonder Woman 1984 slot in early November would be a wise idea (Terminator and especially Sonic would get the fuck away from there asap). Christmas wouldn't be bad too, but it might run the risk of cannibalization between it, Jumanji and Star Wars.

I mean where else could you put it? 2019 is just jam packed. You just gotta release your movie where ever it is and hope for the best. If anything, this breaking out would cannibalize the things around it similar to how Jumanji acted. I said it in the Toy Story thread and I'll say it here: Aladdin is a movie that's in the worst possible spot. Between Avengers and this coming before it and then SLOP and Toy Story coming after it, it's really gotta be an amazing movie if it's going to be a success. Otherwise I see it being completely overshadowed by all the other properties around it. 

But imo, if you're going to release a family friendly film this summer, you're better off releasing it early on as opposed to later on. Families don't have an infinite amount of money to spend and will likely either utilize their expenses early on in the summer on films that come out first or simply have their children pick and choose which films they really really wanna see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean where else could you put it? 2019 is just jam packed. You just gotta release your movie where ever it is and hope for the best. If anything, this breaking out would cannibalize the things around it similar to how Jumanji acted. I said it in the Toy Story thread and I'll say it here: Aladdin is a movie that's in the worst possible spot. Between Avengers and this coming before it and then SLOP and Toy Story coming after it, it's really gotta be an amazing movie if it's going to be a success. Otherwise I see it being completely overshadowed by all the other properties around it. 

But imo, if you're going to release a family friendly film this summer, you're better off releasing it early on as opposed to later on. Families don't have an infinite amount of money to spend and will likely either utilize their expenses early on in the summer on films that come out first or simply have their children pick and choose which films they really really wanna see. 

Moving it to the old Wonder Woman 1984 slot in early November would be a wise idea (Terminator and especially Sonic would get the fuck away from there asap).

I think it's the smartest place to movie this movie to. Again, Sonic would move for fucking sure, Terminator would probably be pushed up as a Halloween release, Frozen is another family movie but it goes especifically after girls while Pokémon is more of a boys thing, and Kingsman is no guarantee to do that great after the reception to The Golden Circle. With the hype that this has - it even made the 100 million views in 24 hours feat that only few movies can pull off - it shouldn't have to be subjected to the amount of competition it has. It breaking out would swipe away Aladdin and whatever's business, indeed, but don't forget that Aladdin i.e. is still bound to have a massive opening weekend and cause Pokémon, depending on how frontloaded it may be despite being a family movie, to drop worse than expected, especially since Pikachu itself is gonna have a huge opening as well. No, it wouldn't have those sweet Summer weekdays, but it would still have two holidays in its 1st month (Veterans Day and Thanksgiving), it would likely continue to play great until Christmas and the Holidays, and nowhere near as much competition as in early May. And what's not to say that between now and then, Avengers 4 and Game Of Thrones S8's combined hype don't end up completely overshadowing Pikachu anyway?

Detective Pikachu has nothing to fear, the other movies should run away to April or June instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think it's the smartest place to movie this movie to. Again, Sonic would move for fucking sure, Terminator would probably be pushed up as a Halloween release, Frozen is another family movie but it goes especifically after girls while Pokémon is more of a boys thing, and Kingsman is no guarantee to do that great after the reception to The Golden Circle. With the hype that this has - it even made the 100 million views in 24 hours feat that only few movies can pull off - it shouldn't have to be subjected to the amount of competition it has. It breaking out would swipe away Aladdin and whatever's business, indeed, but don't forget that Aladdin i.e. is still bound to have a massive opening weekend and cause Pokémon, depending on how frontloaded it may be despite being a family movie, to drop worse than expected, especially since Pikachu itself is gonna have a huge opening as well. No, it wouldn't have those sweet Summer weekdays, but it would still have two holidays in its 1st month (Veterans Day and Thanksgiving), it would likely continue to play great until Christmas and the Holidays, and nowhere near as much competition as in early May. And what's not to say that between now and then, Avengers 4 and Game Of Thrones S8's combined hype don't end up completely overshadowing Pikachu anyway?

I think the problem to moving it to December is that now you’re waiting over a year between when the first trailer was released and your actual movie being released. Maybe if the film had moderate buzz, they could but the trailer received a ton of hype with most folks now expecting it in the summer. WB generated the hype that they wanted. Now you go for it. I mean in my view point, the only other film that will have more hype in the early part of the summer season is Avengers. Aladdin doesn’t have a trailer yet. SLOP 2 apparently has one but like the Toy Story teaser, it came and then was gone. Regardless of anything though, when you’ve got this much momentum on your side, the other films should be scared of you. Not the other way around. 

Finally, I highly highly doubt that Games of Thrones and Avengers 4 will overshadow this THAT much. Avengers maybe a bit (as I mentioned before) but imo if Deadpool 2 and Avengers could co-exist, I see no reason why this and Avengers can’t go co-exist as well. As far as Games of Thrones, I’m not of the mind set that TV shows have an affect on the overall box office of a film. It may affect the box office on the day that it’s on but if people really want to see the movie, they’ll go another day. 

15 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Detective Pikachu has nothing to fear, the other movies should run away to April or June instead.

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not but if I’m a studio and my movie trailer generated a ton of hype, I’m not gonna be scared of any other competition. They should be scared of my movie lol 

I'll probably be wrong in the end, but I think Disney is going to really really regret deciding to throw every single one of their properties in 2019. They should have moved some to 2020 and created a balance at the box office for themselves. While I think some of their films are going to be monsters (Avengers and TLK), I do think some of their other films will be taking a hit like Aladdin, Spider-man Far From Home or Toy Story 4. 

I don't know what they were thinking but their release schedule doesn't make any sense to me if they're looking to optimize their returns at the box office. 

25 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'll probably be wrong in the end, but I think Disney is going to really really regret deciding to throw every single one of their properties in 2019. They should have moved some to 2020 and created a balance at the box office for themselves. While I think some of their films are going to be monsters (Avengers and TLK), I do think some of their other films will be taking a hit like Aladdin, Spider-man Far From Home or Toy Story 4. 

I don't know what they were thinking but their release schedule doesn't make any sense to me if they're looking to optimize their returns at the box office. 

Technically Spidey is Sony, and Disney has little control over when they choose to release it.  MCU mostly has creative control, whereas Sony handles the distribution.

Obviosly, Disney still has a stake in it succeeding as it’ll be a boon to their merchandising and keep Spidey as a blockbuster character for Avengers movies.

Also, Detective Pikachu shouldn’t move.  The trailer buzz is to big and it’s already advertised for the summer.  I’d say it’s Aladdin, SLOP 2 and TS4 that are in the most trouble, they’re all sandwiched close together, and none of them have picked up substantial enough buzz to stand out.  At least one of those is disappointing.

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 2

Had Pikachu not had the buzz it’s having now, I would’ve suggested a move but to be honest, it’ll likely be the first big PG family film since Dumbo which will help it survive against Avengers and in this summer particularly I feel the ones opening first and last will have the major benefits. It’s one of the only film trailers with 1M likes, and on a side note in a very competitive November, Pokémon 1 adjusts to having a $91M five day. I also doubt GOT has an effect on it or A4, if anything it’ll have more of an effect on A4.

In my opinion both Pets 2 and Aladdin have it worse, both are sandwiched between a sea of family films and the former has decent competition OW. 

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I think the problem to moving it to December is that now you’re waiting over a year between when the first trailer was released and your actual movie being released. Maybe if the film had moderate buzz, they could but the trailer received a ton of hype with most folks now expecting it in the summer. WB generated the hype that they wanted. Now you go for it. I mean in my view point, the only other film that will have more hype in the early part of the summer season is Avengers. Aladdin doesn’t have a trailer yet. SLOP 2 apparently has one but like the Toy Story teaser, it came and then was gone. Regardless of anything though, when you’ve got this much momentum on your side, the other films should be scared of you. Not the other way around. 

Finally, I highly highly doubt that Games of Thrones and Avengers 4 will overshadow this THAT much. Avengers maybe a bit (as I mentioned before) but imo if Deadpool 2 and Avengers could co-exist, I see no reason why this and Avengers can’t go co-exist as well. As far as Games of Thrones, I’m not of the mind set that TV shows have an affect on the overall box office of a film. It may affect the box office on the day that it’s on but if people really want to see the movie, they’ll go another day. 

I agree that moving the movie to a year after the 1st trailer would be running the risk of letting the hype die down, but at the same time, WB has done that billions of times with great results. If they knew how to keep the marketing going steadily without making anyone lose interest in the movie or Pokémon, it would be for the best.

Aladdin does have a teaser, and it has huge views... nothing like Pokémon, but pretty big. Bigger than all Solo trailers for what's worth). SLOP2 and TS4 did in fact start their marketing in a very low key way, but I doubt that they won't perform adequately regardless. But maybe yeah, it should be one of the Disney properties moving instead of Pikachu. Aladdin would probably be the best bet, and TS4 wouldn't be unwise if it got the fuck away from there either, were it not for the fact that the mid June slot is now a historic Pixar release date. But I would still say Pokémon could be looking into a movie later down the line. Put in August, for example. Asides from the threat of Dora, this would be a lopsided choice for August's family movie. To me, though, opening as close to Avengers as it is and then having a myriad of big movies - family or otherwise - flooding theaters afterwards isn't a very good spot to be on, despite the huge hype it has, so I personally feel like a move elsewhere would not be dumb.

Fair enough on GOT.

19 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Had Pikachu not had the buzz it’s having now, I would’ve suggested a move but to be honest, it’ll likely be the first big PG family film since Dumbo which will help it survive against Avengers and in this summer particularly I feel the ones opening first and last will have the major benefits. It’s one of the only film trailers with 1M likes, and on a side note in a very competitive November, Pokémon 1 adjusts to having a $91M five day. I also doubt GOT has an effect on it or A4, if anything it’ll have more of an effect on A4.

In my opinion both Pets 2 and Aladdin have it worse, both are sandwiched between a sea of family films and the former has decent competition OW. 

I feel like that's a decent point in favor of Pikachu going to November :P Also, I don't think this is going to be PG. I imagine it's going to boast plenty of violence, it's a Pokémon movie after all. And with Ryan Reynolds clearly playing Deadpool playing PIkachu, we could be susceptible to mild language as well. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking this gets a soft PG-13. But then again, Incredibles 2 had plenty of mild language and violence and still got a PG, so who knows.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

in August, for example. Asides from the threat of Dora, this would be a lopsided choice for August's family movie. To me, though, opening as close to Avengers as it is and then having a myriad of big movies - family or otherwise - flooding theaters afterwards isn't a very good spot to be on, despite the huge hype it has, so I personally feel like a move elsewhere would not be dumb.

It would die quickly against Lion King.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It would die quickly against Lion King.

The Lion King comes out in mid July. If it opens like 3-4 weekends after it, it won't die. Deadpool 2 wasn't hurt by opening 4 weeks after Infinity War either (if anything, it was the other way around). I don't see how it would have it any worse in a spot like this than if it came out 2 weeks after A4 and then getting new family movie after new family movie after new family movie opening in quick succession, even if those would be hurt just as bad by Pikachu's presence (but Pikachu would be hurt too cause that's money that could be going to its box office but is instead flowing in other paths of direct competition).

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I agree that moving the movie to a year after the 1st trailer would be running the risk of letting the hype die down, but at the same time, WB has done that billions of times with great results. If they knew how to keep the marketing going steadily without making anyone lose interest in the movie or Pokémon, it would be for the best.

Aladdin does have a teaser, and it has huge views... nothing like Pokémon, but pretty big. Bigger than all Solo trailers for what's worth). SLOP2 and TS4 did in fact start their marketing in a very low key way, but I doubt that they won't perform adequately regardless. But maybe yeah, it should be one of the Disney properties moving instead of Pikachu. Aladdin would probably be the best bet, and TS4 wouldn't be unwise if it got the fuck away from there either, were it not for the fact that the mid June slot is now a historic Pixar release date. But I would still say Pokémon could be looking into a movie later down the line. Put in August, for example. Asides from the threat of Dora, this would be a lopsided choice for August's family movie. To me, though, opening as close to Avengers as it is and then having a myriad of big movies - family or otherwise - flooding theaters afterwards isn't a very good spot to be on, despite the huge hype it has, so I personally feel like a move elsewhere would not be dumb.

Fair enough on GOT.

I feel like that's a decent point in favor of Pikachu going to November :P Also, I don't think this is going to be PG. I imagine it's going to boast plenty of violence, it's a Pokémon movie after all. And with Ryan Reynolds clearly playing Deadpool playing PIkachu, we could be susceptible to mild language as well. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking this gets a soft PG-13. But then again, Incredibles 2 had plenty of mild language and violence and still got a PG, so who knows.

I highly doubt this is PG-13. It doesn’t look more intense than say The Jungle Book.

19 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I had no idea there was a teaser for Aladdin. It was prob released when I was swamped with school work so I never got to see it :ph34r: In regards to an August release, as @YourMother the Edgelord said, this would die immediately against TLK and the later you release it in August, the less summer days you're going to get. They would need to release it first week of August for it to get a benefit and imo that's way too close to TLK. 

And theaters are in the business of making money. If Detective Pikachu is making them money, they're not going to drop it just because of new releases. Just like I'm sure Avengers isn't going to get dropped the moment the wave of movies in May arrives. They'll accommodate the new releases around films that make money until the film stops making them money. Of course at some point in time, a movie will get dropped but that's going to happen regardless. For example, during the last couple of months there were a lot of films that were released. However, the films making the money got to keep theaters longer AND got better screen placement relative to other films even if the other films were new releases. I mean just as a smaller example, The Predator got large screens its opening weekend but when theaters realized it wasn't making them money, it got relegated to smaller screens. Just because there's a bunch of new releases doesn't mean they're going to get preferential treatment at theaters. 

Like I said: all the other films should be scared of this movie. Not the other way around. WB is the one who has the upper hand simply because they're the ones with the movie that's generated a good amount of buzz. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Other movies will be scared of Detective Pikachu. Not the other way around.