MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

CaptainJackSparrow

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu | Why God Why What Did I Do to Deserve This| May 10 2019 | Pika Pika

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I could be wrong but I don't think there's ever been a non-live TV event that was deemed to affect box office?

Age of Ultron and the boxing match that aired on its OW Saturday say high. Many think it prevented AoU from hitting a 200M OW

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

And GOT is certainly not the biggest TV show currently anyway.

By what metric would you determine this? In terms of raw viewership i coundt think of a bigger show than GoT.

12 minutes ago, Lake said:

The last GOT finale got 12.1 million live viewers & another 4.4m "night-of-premiere" streams (US).

Even if the numbers doubled for this year's finale, there have been way bigger "live" events. Most people watch in their own time (delayed viewing).

That's only for HBO. Not including their streaming services HBO GO, HBO NOW and so on.

Game of Thrones averaged 30million views per episode in Season 7 and the numbers are only for the US.

People are going to understand how huge Game of Thrones has become once the final season starts. But DP is going to be a hit regardless.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Age of Ultron and the boxing match that aired on its OW Saturday say high. Many think it prevented AoU from hitting a 200M OW

By what metric would you determine this? In terms of raw viewership i coundt think of a bigger show than GoT.

I said non live.

And yes viewership being the metric. GOT season 7 peaked with 12 million (a series high) lets use that figure.

Big Bang Theory 18 million viewers

Hell.. even Young Sheldon season 2 had more viewers than game of thrones.

NCIS 17 million viewers

This Is Us 17 million viewers

I'm sure there are many others too.

I dont know what world you live in where Game of Thrones is the most watched TV show.

21 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I dont know what world you live in where Game of Thrones is the most watched TV show.

I simply didnt know the viewership counts. Now i know them if i can trust your numbers.

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I simply didnt know the viewership counts. Now i know them if i can trust your numbers.

Sorry didn't mean to be rude.

I mean it makes sense that GOT is not the biggest, it is on cable TV not network TV and it would be extremely difficult for the most watched show to be on cable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/2017/08/28/game-of-thrones-season-7-ratings-records.amp

“According to the network, Game of Thrones Season 7 has averaged 31 million viewers per episode – up 34% over Season 6 last year – once live, DVR, on-demand, and streaming views are all factored in. 

Mind you, that's not even counting the numbers for the Season 7 finale. An all-time high of 16.5 million viewers caught the episode Sunday night. “

Dont underestimate it folks. The season 8 trailer is making views like a major blockbuster as well.

May or may not affect Pikachu but still worth mentioning it. 

• Like 1

Official prediction thread vs. BOP for Pikachu is open now - go and flood them with real predictions - make sure to downvote any which are far too small! (like the one at the moment, seriously 75m OW? Gonna be at least 3x that)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Avatree said:

I said non live.

And yes viewership being the metric. GOT season 7 peaked with 12 million (a series high) lets use that figure.

Big Bang Theory 18 million viewers

Hell.. even Young Sheldon season 2 had more viewers than game of thrones.

NCIS 17 million viewers

This Is Us 17 million viewers

I'm sure there are many others too.

Those are all CBS shows that pretty much everyone with a TV can watch. GoT is an HBO show, which means that not everyone has access to it. With that being said, I don’t think the GoT finale will have any significant effect on this movie.

Edited by WittyUsername

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Those are all CBS shows that pretty much everyone with a TV can watch. GoT is an HBO show, which means that not everyone has access to it. With that being said, I don’t think the GoT finale will have any significant effect on this movie.

yes, exactly my point. A premium TV show is going to have less audience. Because it is free.

GoT is going to be huge this season no doubt and yes sure it may affect films on the weekends but again GoT airs on the slowest night of the weekend (Sunday night) and if people are planning to see a movie they can see it some other time during the weekend or even during the weekday. Maybe it’ll depress weekend numbers a bit, but I don’t think overall grosses will be affected. Now if GoT was airing on Thursday, Friday or Saturday night then I might say preview numbers would be deflated (if Thursday night) and weekend numbers could be deflated (Friday and Saturday night) cause then the busiest nights of the weekends would be targeted and we’ve seen in the past movies have their OW numbers deflated because of said events. I guess we shall see what effect GoT has on the box office though and imo we will get a good idea of it before Detective Pikachu even opens. But I still don’t think it’ll be as big of an effect as some folks think simply because it airs on Sunday nights. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, feasby007 said:

Official prediction thread vs. BOP for Pikachu is open now - go and flood them with real predictions - make sure to downvote any which are far too small! (like the one at the moment, seriously 75m OW? Gonna be at least 3x that)

I'm glad most are reasonable in saying anything below 100 M is insulting to Pikachu.

I doubt GoT will affect any films in any significant way, the people interested in watching both will make time to see both over the course of the weekend. It’s not really an either/or situation.

Not to mention that Sunday evenings are generally the quietest part of any given opening weekend anyway, particularly when you get past 9pm.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Can Detective Pikachu increase in week 2?

Word of mouth is already insane, if reviews are great which all screenings state it's an amazing movie, then the sky is the limit.

I see you like to ask rhetorical questions. :apocalypse:

The question you should be asking is if it can increase in week 4 or will week 4 be its first negative week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I see you like to ask rhetorical questions.

No it was a philosophical question.
Can Detective Pikachu make so much money the first weekend, that an increase in week 2 is impossible?

Game of Thrones airs late Sunday night, it’s not a long live event that begins airing earlier in the evening.  I doubt there’s much of an effect on the movie’s opening against it beyond maybe deflated late Sunday night shows (which is a small amount of OW totals).

But then again, if Season 8 increases from season 7 similar to the previous seasons you’re looking at 30-40m US viewers for each episode.  That’s pretty significant.  

(Yes I know their ratings say 16.1m for Season 7’s finale, but when you factor in streaming episodes were averaging around 31m per episode.  Season 8 bump could push that to close to 40m)

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

The question is how much will it increase in week 2!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Game of Thrones airs late Sunday night, it’s not a long live event that begins airing earlier in the evening.  I doubt there’s much of an effect on the movie’s opening against it beyond maybe deflated late Sunday night shows (which is a small amount of OW totals).

But then again, if Season 8 increases from season 7 similar to the previous seasons you’re looking at 30-40m US viewers for each episode.  That’s pretty significant.  

(Yes I know their ratings say 16.1m for Season 7’s finale, but when you factor in streaming episodes were averaging around 31m per episode.  Season 8 bump could push that to close to 40m)

aseason 8 is going to increase count on it. Only 6 episodes. people who didn't watch on regular basis are bingewatching old season in preparation for the final season. increase is going to be considerable not to mention they are promising cinematic-level epicness. 

But Pika Pika will be so strong on Friday and especially Saturday that it can take a hit on Sunday and still break OW record.

Edited by Valonqar