Jump to content

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

CaptainJackSparrow

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu | Why God Why What Did I Do to Deserve This| May 10 2019 | Pika Pika

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I mean the Pokemon look amazing, it has Ryan Reynolds at the helm as DP,  and most important of all it's PG. It's avoiding many issues others have had in the past.

Well according to Box office pro, they’re only cons at the moment is its release date (so close to End Game) and also they’re not sure whether international audiences are swaying the numbers for the movie in terms of tweets and trailer views. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically the person making the article does not realize that Pokemon is massive domestically as much as it is worldwide. 

 

I fell this was a low ball prediction it'll be interesting what happens once marketing kicks up post Shazam!

 

Or do you think they'll even wait that long to kick start marketing?

Edited by Cappoedameron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure this movie will do great business overseas. Pokémon is a franchise that’s genuinely deserving of being labeled a global phenomenon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

So basically the person making the article does not realize that Pokemon is massive domestically as much as it is worldwide. 

 

I fell this was a low ball prediction it'll be interesting what happens once marketing kicks up post Shazam!

 

Or do you think they'll even wait that long to kick start marketing?

They’re not making their predictions simply based on brand. They’re factoring in social media conversations and trailers views. The person making the prediction/who wrote the article is aware of how huge Pokémon is domestically and WW (they mention it in the write up) but what they’re not sure of is whether the large amounts of views for the trailer and social media conversations is largely from international audiences or not. If it is, then that can cause domestic numbers to be lower than one would expect. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nova said:

They’re not making their predictions simply based on brand. They’re factoring in social media conversations and trailers views. The person making the prediction/who wrote the article is aware of how huge Pokémon is domestically and WW (they mention it in the write up) but what they’re not sure of is whether the large amounts of views for the trailer and social media conversations is largely from international audiences or not. If it is, then that can cause domestic numbers to be lower than one would expect. 

But it was top trending domestic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nova said:

They’re not making their predictions simply based on brand. They’re factoring in social media conversations and trailers views. The person making the prediction/who wrote the article is aware of how huge Pokémon is domestically and WW (they mention it in the write up) but what they’re not sure of is whether the large amounts of views for the trailer and social media conversations is largely from international audiences or not. If it is, then that can cause domestic numbers to be lower than one would expect. 

Not to mention @Shawn and the rest of the crew took into consideration other factors like for example competition from Endgame and Aladdin and potentially the intrigue of a non main series Pokémon adaptation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These numbers, they are exactly what I predicted:

On 3/6/2019 at 2:13 PM, MrGlass2 said:

Non joke prediction: this will be the most under-predicted movie of all time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

But it was top trending domestic.

It was trending, yes, but box office pro also has a way of tracking twitter conversations and mentions with actual numbers of how often a film was talked about. This is the factor that they're not sure whether is heavily tilted internationally or not. BUT just to be clear, their write up for the film was extremely positive but since they're predicting a film this far out, they need to cover their bases and acknowledge certain factors that could affect their prediction negatively. 

Edited by Nova

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

These numbers, they are exactly what I predicted:

 

 

 

Not bad for first long track. 90M isn't a bad first dab. I say with Ryan's genius marketing and a final trailer that is good like the others it'll easily go above 100M. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Not bad for first long track. 90M isn't a bad first dab. I say with Ryan's genius marketing and a final trailer that is good like the others it'll easily go above 100M. 

And then WOM kicks in on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

And then WOM kicks in on Saturday.

Hmm if it does $90M in previews, wouldn’t the great WOM kick in on Friday? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BOP is usually conservative at first, but I think they'll raise their Pika Pika estimate the closer we get to May. Better to be a ways under at first than to overhype a movie's box office right out the gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All jokes aside, a video game movie (with a budget that isn't even particularly high for blockbusters) doing above or below 100M on OW, would be a massive success. Though I think hype could easily bring it higher than that, let's not lose sight of how low the actual bar for video game movie success is. You don't need to do 200M OW to be a hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To put it in perspective, Detective Pikachu for a first time long range is 90M is very good and to me guarantees a over 100M OW.

 

Deadpool was slated for a 50M OW in Long Ranger, ended up with 123M

It was slated for a 53M OW ending with 132M

Black Panther was slated for a 90M OW and ended with a 202M OW.

 

Sky is the limit for DP.

 

 

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

To put it in perspective, Detective Pikachu for a first time long range is 90M is very good and to me guarantees a over 100M OW.

 

Deadpool was slated for a 50M OW in Long Ranger, ended up with 123M

It was slated for a 53M OW ending with 132M

Black Panther was slated for a 90M OW and ended with a 202M OW.

 

Sky is the limit for DP.

 

 

Not necessarily. There’s still a long to consider, (marketing can stumble leading up to Pikachu, reviews can be mixed, social media hype can dwindle). I mean Mary Poppins Returns was looking at near $350M on BOP, and Lego 2 was at $180M DOM.

 

It doesn’t lock $100M OW but it does look very good on paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Not necessarily. There’s still a long to consider, (marketing can stumble leading up to Pikachu, reviews can be mixed, social media hype can dwindle). I mean Mary Poppins Returns was looking at near $350M on BOP, and Lego 2 was at $180M DOM.

 

It doesn’t lock $100M OW but it does look very good on paper.

With Ryan Reynolds at the helm I doubt marketing will be anything less then stellar. 

 

Weren't screenings off the charts good?

 

Social media hype for the first live action Pokemon movie dwindle? No way. TS4 and Aladdin, yeah but not Pokemon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shawn ive just seen your prediction.

 

I see you did listen to us. But i always thought BO.pro was a site that predicted the DOM box office? Why did you suddenly predict the numbers for the Luxembourg OW? Its a realistic prediction, dont get me wrong, but i still want to see your forecast for the DOM start.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

@Shawn ive just seen your prediction.

 

I see you did listen to us. But i always thought BO.pro was a site that predicted the DOM box office? Why did you suddenly predict the numbers for the Luxembourg OW? Its a realistic prediction, dont get me wrong, but i still want to see your forecast for the DOM start.

lol i thought that's iceland OW....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion as a Pokémon fan for the last 19 years:

 

-Pikachu is very well-made in this movie, he's the main strength of the movie, thry perfectly rendered its cuteness.

 

-The other Pokémon we saw till now are, for the most part, nightmare-inducing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.