grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

Mess.

Honestly trying to make the rape allegations seem like NBD just to get ahead of the Oscar race is 1000x worse of a look for everyone involved than just not commenting woulda been

• Like 7

Seeing the story puts me in a bit of dilemma.  I had wanted to see the movie, it looked good.  I also don't like to hold things people did in their pasts against them (too much) because I believe in people changing and forgiveness.

However, it was very unsettling how he handled those interviews.  It seemed pretty obvious that he got away with a despicable crime when the guy who did it with him was convicted.  And he handled the interview as if he was innocent of any crime, bringing his daughter to it, and not really getting any hinge of guilt from it.

And besides, it's not my crime to forgive.  It's the victims.  Maybe Parker is a different man now, maybe he's not, but this is affecting my decision on whether I want to see the movie.

• Like 3

This sucks because I was excited to this movie. Dude sounds like a scary asshole.

If Denzel Washington's "Fences" is any good, I fully expect that movie to quietly push this movie to the background as one of the the Oscar favorites.

18 minutes ago, ProtoMan said:

This sucks because I was excited to this movie. Dude sounds like a scary asshole.

If Denzel Washington's "Fences" is any good, I fully expect that movie to quietly push this movie to the background as one of the the Oscar favorites.

I fully expect Fences to be one of the big frontrunners this year. Having two of the biggest African American actors in the industry will only help (especially when they're likely to emerge as the acting frontrunners). 

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I fully expect Fences to be one of the big frontrunners this year. Having two of the biggest African American actors in the industry will only help (especially when they're likely to emerge as the acting frontrunners). 

The material is there - Pulitzer, Drama Desk, Tonys (for the original and the revival) - with Denzel and Viola also winning Tonys, so they'd have to royally screw it up for it not to be a contender.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Wait, what's going on here?

Nate Parker the lead actor, director, writer was accused rape about 17 years was acquitted since he did have consentiual sex wit the women prior to the rape chargers. His best friend the co writer of Birth of a Nation was charge with rape for the same case. The women accused both men of drugging and raping her. Repeatedly calling after the rape and wanting her to drop out of Penn State.  

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

This movie might be fucked. It's not just the writer/director/star who's implicated in the rape allegations, but the co-writer as well.

Sounds like it was the same alleged rape as well, unless I'm reading this wrong. This will kill the movie. It had a great chance to be an Oscar contender and that would have driven millions of $ in business. Not a chance now, even if it's the greatest movie ever made.

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Sounds like it was the same alleged rape as well, unless I'm reading this wrong. This will kill the movie. It had a great chance to be an Oscar contender and that would have driven millions of $ in business. Not a chance now, even if it's the greatest movie ever made.

And it's all due to how Nate Parker responded to questions.

33 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Nate Parker the lead actor, director, writer was accused rape about 17 years was acquitted since he did have consentiual sex wit the women prior to the rape chargers. His best friend the co writer of Birth of a Nation was charge with rape for the same case. The women accused both men of drugging and raping her. Repeatedly calling after the rape and wanting her to drop out of Penn State.  

But everyone seems to be upset about an interview. What did he say?

26 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

His co-writer and friend was convicted of the crime, Parker got acquitted. They both raped her, im not sure how Parker got off but thats what happened. 

3 minutes ago, babz06 said:

His co-writer and friend was convicted of the crime, Parker got acquitted. They both raped her, im not sure how Parker got off but thats what happened. 

I dont know all the facts obvisouly but basically it seems nate parker got off because the accuser admitted to having consensual sex with him a few days earlier. Celestin was convicted and only charged with 6 months and was even let out early so he could graduate. However he applied for retrial and his convicton was eventually overtuened for a few reason and because the accuser refused to retestify. 

They were both star wrestling athletes by the way. 

• Like 2

Parker, who brought his 6-year-old daughter to the Variety interview, declined to speak about the specifics of the case. “Look at it through the context of 17 years,” he said. “It was a very painful for everyone who went through it. What I learned through 17 years of growth and having children and having a wife and building a family is that we have to fight for what’s right. We have to lead in love.”

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/the-birth-of-a-nation-nate-parker-rape-trial-1201836624/

Fuck you, Nate Parker. That was more nauseating that I could have even imagined. You shouldn't even try to act like you have the high ground here. At least other celebrities who have done horrible things don't try to act like they're moral paragons. I hope your movie gets jack shit at the Oscars and it never gets released in theaters.

That said, maybe ten years from now, there can be an objective analysis of this movie, when it's less beneficial for Parker. It's only fair.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/the-birth-of-a-nation-nate-parker-rape-trial-1201836624/

Fuck you, Nate Parker. That was more nauseating that I could have even imagined. You shouldn't even try to act like you have the high ground here. At other celebrities who have done horrible things don't try to act like they're moral paragons. I hope your movie gets jack shit at the Oscars and it never gets released in theaters.

That said, maybe ten years from now, there can be an objective analysis of this movie, when it's less beneficial for Parker. It's only fair.

Its going to get released in theaters. Fortunately, there is more than one film starring POC that could factor in the awards season this year. Fences was already named but also Hidden Figures, Loving, Lion, Moonlight, Queen of Katwe,  and A United Kingdom

• Like 2