CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

1 minute ago, Joel M said:

I bet Disney gonna be pissed when Tarzan bombs this summer, because they ll have to wait another decade to do their version. WB is practically trolling them with their fairy tale megabombs.

Meh, if The Legend of Tarzan flops I don't think Disney would feel they would need to stall their own version (not that one is currently in development). No one's likely going to remember the film even exists within two years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I highly doubt the Edgar Rice estate will let Disney make a live action Tarzan after John Carter.

I thought it will be public domain by now since the novel was published 100 years ago.

Shit. I just found out the entirety of the Jungle Book is CG. I watched it and had no idea the environments and sets weren't real. Turns out the whole thing was shot on a soundstage. I feel like an idiot, but I suppose that's a real achievement for the film.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I bet Disney gonna be pissed when Tarzan bombs this summer, because they ll have to wait another decade to do their version. WB is practically trolling them with their fairy tale megabombs.

Well Disney's doing a Peter Pan live-action movie despite Pan bombing, so...

Also, count me in on the Mulan train. It would be pretty killer in live-action, if it's done right. Just get Jamie Chung, and I'm there!

Edited by CoolEric258
Added thoughts on live-action Mulan

3 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Shit. I just found out the entirety of the Jungle Book is CG. I watched it and had no idea the environments and sets weren't real. Turns out the whole thing was shot on a soundstage. I feel like an idiot, but I suppose that's a real achievement for the film.

NOT everything is CG, there are sets on the foreground but yeah, it s mostly CG.

10 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Tarzan won't flop.

3 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I agree, it should do big. It's getting great buzz from early screenings. 

I don't know what to expect from Tarzan, early buzz isn't good but there seems to be a bit of interest.

12 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I thought it will be public domain by now since the novel was published 100 years ago.

Depends on when materials are published. Modern copyright law is the life of the author + 70 years, which was established in 1923. So pre-1923 stories are public domain, and post-1923 don't enter public domain until 2020.

BUT, the Burroughs estate has been using trademark law to try and crack down on unauthorized publications based on public domain material.

• Like 1