kayumanggi

THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS | 507.1 M overseas | 875.5 M worldwide

Who said it was?  

However, for boys of a certain age, and their parents, it is HUGE.  With a high quality film it could do very well.  The PIXARS FIRST DUD label really doomed the 2nd ones box office!!!

Domestically the potential is there for a big box office if the film is high quality and OS Cars 2 made almost 400 million and was a very poor to mediocre film.  

In North America Mater and Lightning McQueen are household names.

Which part did I exaggerate exactly?

1 minute ago, Planodisney said:

This Pets run will be really interesting and fun to watch.

Is this actually looking

to finish ahead of DM2 in the UK?

Unlikely with Dory and The BFG. It'll probably finish in the mid to high £30m range, DM2 did £47m in the UK and that would require super good legs.

1 hour ago, Planodisney said:

Who said it was?  

However, for boys of a certain age, and their parents, it is HUGE.  With a high quality film it could do very well.  The PIXARS FIRST DUD label really doomed the 2nd ones box office!!!

Domestically the potential is there for a big box office if the film is high quality and OS Cars 2 made almost 400 million and was a very poor to mediocre film.  

In North America Mater and Lightning McQueen are household names.

Which part did I exaggerate exactly?

"Mater and Lightning McQueen are a part of almost every American boys childhood."

Even if that's true, it's not exactly amazing when we're talking about the Disney brand here. Cars 2 didn't sell that many tickets, but it moved toy shelves. I don't see how Cars 3 will be any different.

You don't see how a really good movie could generate bigger box office receipts off of a really well known popular franchise than a very weak movie off of a popular franchise?  

Know one is saying the ceiling is unlimited with Cars 3, but it would be hard to argue that domestic couldn't go from almost 200 from a bad Cars 2 to 250 if the film is very good and from almost 400 million to 450 OS.  Cars had 216 million OS and jumped to 368 for Cars 2 and was a poor sequel.  The potential is there. However, I believe it's floor and ceiling potentials aren't dramatically different.  What I mean is that a top notch quality upper level Pixar effort would see Cars 3 not much above 800.

My prediction is 700-750 WW and

2 billion in merchandise sells.?

Opening in a further four markets, The Secret Life Of Pets hopped to an estimated $11.9m from its six markets for an early $29.6m.

Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures’ animation stands at number one in each of its markets to date, led by a terrific $6.6m second weekend in the UK for a local tally of $22.2m.

It opened number one in Taiwan with $1.9m and Hong Kong with $1.8m, while its $756k bow in Vietnam was the fifth-biggest opening for an animated film in the market.

The Secret Life Of Pets still has 60 more territories to release over the next three months, starting with India next weekend.

• Like 1

Deadline:

Illumination/Universal’s animated look at what our domesticated animals get up to when we leave the house has now bowed at No. 1 in all markets where it has opened. This weekend, it added $11.9M in a total of six for a cume of $29.6M. Taiwan led launches with $1.9M for the biggest animation debut weekend of 2016 and the second-biggest opening weekend for an original animation of all time behindMadagascar.

Hong Kong ($1.8M) gave Pets the top animation debut of the year and the second biggest original animation opening of all time, just 1% below Inside Out. Vietnambowed with $756K; Israel was good for $547K, and Universal’s best start of 2016.

In holds, Pets stayed leashed to the No. 1 spot in the UK for a second weekend in a row and $6.6M. The 10-day total is $22.2M. Similarly, Norway held No. 1 and has a 10-day cume of $1.6M.

There are 60 more territories to release over the next three months. Next weekend, the film opens in India along with the U.S. and Canada.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Deadline:

Israel was good for $547K, and Universal’s best start of 2016.

For context (OW/total):

Despicable Me: 201K/1.704M

Despicable Me 2: 334K/2.996M 

Minions: 727K/5.632M (OW includes 100K previews)

Based on these numbers I would expect 4-5M total for Pets.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tower said:

For context (OW/total):

Despicable Me: 201K/1.704M

Despicable Me 2: 334K/2.996M 

Minions: 727K/5.632M (OW includes 100K previews)

Based on these numbers I would expect 4-5M total for Pets.

Tower, how does Pets OW compare to other original animated openings (non disney/pixar)?

5 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Tower, how does Pets OW compare to other original animated openings (non disney/pixar)?

If you don't count The Smurfs, than this is the highest. Even if you do count Disney/Pixar, it is second, only barely losing to Zootopia because that one was inflated by a holiday in its OW.

If you do count The Smurfs though, then that has the biggest OW and total for any animation, including sequels and Disney/Pixar.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

"The Secret Life of Pets" has grossed nearly $31 million in six international markets as of Monday, ahead of its U.S. opening this weekend, Variety reports. The Universal-Illumination comedy topped the U.K. and Ireland box office for the second weekend with $6.3 million - bringing its 11-day total to $23.4 million. The film is the second-biggest animated title of the year after "Zootopia" at $33 million. "Pets" opened in first place in Taiwan with $2 million, the top debut for an animated film in 2016 and the biggest opening weekend ever for an original animated pic in the market. It opened No. 1 in Hong Kong with $1.9 million. "Pets" launched in Vietnam with $806,000 and hit No. 1 in Israel with $581,000. The movie will launch in 60 more territories over the next three months, starting with India, Pakistan and Trinidad, along with the U.S., where it is expected to dominate moviegoing. 

To go with its huge $103.2m North American bow, The Secret Life Of Pets hopped to an estimated $7.8m from its nine territories for $42.6m to date.

The UK continued its outstanding run with $4.8m for $30.3m to retain top spot for a third straight week, while Illumination Entertainment’s animation opened at number one in India with $488k.

Source: ScreenDaily

• Like 4

So how much can PETS make overseas? This is difficult to assess.

I did a rough count of what Pets is estimated to end up making in its 9 markets (UK, Hong Kong, Trindad, Norway, India, Vietnam, Pakistan, Taiwan and Ireland) and it comes up to between 65 and 70m. Minions made around 105-110m in these markets. So it's around 60-65% of what Minions made there.

Not sure where this can end OS. 300? 400? 500?