Blankments

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms | Nov 2 2018 | Lasse Hallstrom

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

How much did Disney spend on this damn thing?

We will have a better idea around september, but up to january 31 2017 they had spent 66m pound (82.4m usd):

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10029281/filing-history

It is an other case of director changed for a significant reshoot, once post production cost and so on get in would not surprise me if it end up 120-130m gross.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2018 at 10:48 PM, InVy said:

only those Disney movies that are based on former Disney cartoons which are still popular. all "original" Disney live action movies recently at best underpeform but usually bomb. 

Good point but most "original" Disney live-action movies are riskier in one way or another (Tomorrowland, AWiT...). I was thinking this one looks like a generic Disney princess/fantasy film, and their recent track record is very good for those; only Alice2 was a (strange) flop. Not saying that this will get anywhere near BatB, but it would still be surprising if it couldn't reach $100M DOM.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

This looks like it has promise but it is not something I'll be making time for in my schedule.

If I get to it I do. 

I literally know nothing of the Nutcrackers story, only that it's a thing culturally.

GOd, what the hell do they teach in schools nowdays?

You know, you really should pay attentions to things other then comic books and sci fi movies once in a while. CUltural illiteracy is a terrible thing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You know, you really should pay attentions to things other then comic books and sci fi movies once in a while. CUltural illiteracy is a terrible thing.

Hahahahaha, what

You're talking about The Nutcracker, not Catcher in the Rye/Great Gatsby/Mice & Men/Animal Farm; you wouldn't study/analyse/critique it in any secondary or tertiary education system.

Also, such a weird-ass thing to be on a high horse over

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Boy, this board truly is full of "geeks"! *shakes fist, satisfied at his own outrage*

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

yes, nutcracker class was my favourite subject in school. a shame it's gone away.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Morieris said:

It's a little different but wow the marketing for this has been ..... strange, so far.

This was the trailer that premiered before Ant-Man two months ago. The one released a few weeks ago was probably made specifically to play before Crazy Rich Asians.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This was the trailer that premiered before Ant-Man two months ago. The one released a few weeks ago was probably made specifically to play before Crazy Rich Asians.

I like this one much better than previous ones actually(cause they use classic music lol)

but they really should have tried to do it animated & closer to original. then they can do their live-action remakes.

22 hours ago, InVy said:

I like this one much better than previous ones actually(cause they use classic music lol)

but they really should have tried to do it animated & closer to original. then they can do their live-action remakes.

I kinda disagree, this one seems to be the worst of the trailers released so far. The first one was kinda ok, although the movie already looked mediocre, the second one was forgettable, but this one is just bad.

I agree with your second point, we never really got a true, high-quality animated interpretation of The Nutcracker, so doing a darker (read: something akin to Alice in Mediocre-Land) is just beyond stupid. Maybe after this fails to become the Christmas classic they hope it'll become, WDAS will make their own The Nutcracker.

Come to think of it, WDAS still has quite a few classic children stories to adapt, like Swan Lake, Jack and the beanstalk (it's so sad that Gigantic fell apart), Little Red Riding Hood (don't know how popular this one is in the US, but where I live, it must be one of the most famous stories for kids) and so on. I think they should come back to that and leave movies like Zootopia to Pixar.

Edited by Titan Man
  • Like 1