Blankments

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms | Nov 2 2018 | Lasse Hallstrom

18 hours ago, Julian1410 said:

Keira knightly should be So ashamed of What She did here. Wtf was She doing 

lol she's easily the best thing about this movie. We need a gif of her taking a piece of her cotton candy hair and eating it out of nervousness whenever this comes out for home viewing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Titan Man said:

It has more to do with the fact that some pretty untalented people got their hands on the source material.

I  would not call Lalle Hallstrom or Joe Johnston untalented, but it clear that Hallstrom was the wrong choice for this material, and Johnson could not save it.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I  would not call Lalle Hallstrom or Joe Johnston untalented, but it clear that Hallstrom was the wrong choice for this material, and Johnson could not save it.

The writing is at fault with this movie, not the directors. When you think about it, nearly all of Disney's live-action fairy-tales suffer from that same problem.

• Like 1

I just never understand how these huge budget movies can get away with having a bad script. Like, would a studio head or even director not look at a script like "well, we're investing hundreds of millions of dollars into this, maybe we should refine it a little bit"

I'm actually going to call it on this one and say that in 10-15 years or so this will be considered a classic holiday film. Pretty much to Christmas what Hocus Pocus is to Halloween. In fact it's notable that lots of the criticism of Hocus Pocus back in the 90s is very similar to what Nutcracker got ("How could ***** do THAT? What a waste of their talent", "It's a (ill-defined) mess!".

It was always going to have an impossible task audience wise. Disney virtually abandoned it, it was in a terrible release date and there was clearly little confidence in it. It's just too bold for people to know what to do with - everything people SAY they want, but actually run a mile when they get it unless it's timed absolutely perfectly.

But it's actually a rather audacious, innovative, excellent film. Genuinely. 

I have a pretty good track record with this having said similar at the time about Labyrinth, Neverending Story, Event Horizon and the aforementioned Hocus Pocus. The only one I'm still trying to get people to reconsider and have never seen much of a perception shift on is Mystery Men.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I'm actually going to call it on this one and say that in 10-15 years or so this will be considered a classic holiday film. Pretty much to Christmas what Hocus Pocus is to Halloween. In fact it's notable that lots of the criticism of Hocus Pocus back in the 90s is very similar to what Nutcracker got ("How could ***** do THAT? What a waste of their talent", "It's a (ill-defined) mess!".

It was always going to have an impossible task audience wise. Disney virtually abandoned it, it was in a terrible release date and there was clearly little confidence in it. It's just too bold for people to know what to do with - everything people SAY they want, but actually run a mile when they get it unless it's timed absolutely perfectly.

But it's actually a rather audacious, innovative, excellent film. Genuinely. 

I have a pretty good track record with this having said similar at the time about Labyrinth, Neverending Story, Event Horizon and the aforementioned Hocus Pocus. The only one I'm still trying to get people to reconsider and have never seen much of a perception shift on is Mystery Men.

Damn, that would be so cool!

And I ignored critics trashed Hocus Pocus, it's a movie I really loved :o

I dunno, the first 15 minutes of this movie felt somewhat promising. The look of the film was beautiful, and it played out as it if would be genuinely well-made. But the plot was so damn shallow, and it felt like nothing really happened over the course of the story. Felt like an "interesting Sunday afternoon" for the lead character rather than an "outright adventure". None of the characters were interesting and the climax occurred much too quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I dunno, the first 15 minutes of this movie felt somewhat promising. The look of the film was beautiful, and it played out as it if would be genuinely well-made. But the plot was so damn shallow, and it felt like nothing really happened over the course of the story. Felt like an "interesting Sunday afternoon" for the lead character rather than an "outright adventure". None of the characters were interesting and the climax occurred much too quickly. 

Yeah, I finally saw it.

The opening shot with the swooping owl and the music was beautiful. I was like "Wow, what were the critics thinking? This is perfect!"

But then the movie actually started. Sigh.

Knightly was wonderful, The visuals were magnificent, with lots of terrific ideas really well executed. But, crap on a stick, virtually everything plot-related was freaking awful. And the music was totally scattershot. Sometimes the music would be totally on-point, then it'd be forgotten about for an extended period only to be suddenly remembered and jammed into a spot where it didn't really go.

Everyone other than Knightly did fine with what they had to work with, but what they had to work with was trash.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

On 10/28/2018 at 10:19 AM, Morieris said:

I just want to say that, as someone who loves Disney mugs, this one is super tiny for something that costs 16$. Which is a pity because it's a cute mug otherwise.

I see they were trying to make up the production budget bc they knew this would flop.

• Like 1