Blankments

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms | Nov 2 2018 | Lasse Hallstrom

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Especially when the embargo is almost certainly because it's a Christmas movie being released two days after Halloween.

I also so note that Disney's marketing for this has been pretty low key. It's almost like they know it's going to flop and want to cut their losses by not spending huge amounts of money on a futile attempt to save it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Are we doing this again? Embargo tea leaves reading is the worst thing ever.

Well, combined with we are not seeing the usual Disney marketing put for this we have grounds to thinkg The Mouse does not exactly have a lot of faith in this film....

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think we need a betting pool as to which will be the most embarrassing flop in November:This or "Robin Hood".

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I also so note that Disney's marketing for this has been pretty low key. It's almost like they know it's going to flop and want to cut their losses by not spending huge amounts of money on a futile attempt to save it.

If it's a good movie I'll be there though, good or not.

35 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

If it's a good movie I'll be there though, good or not.

TIme to be brave and admit that Disney can totally blow it on occasion.

I just can't get being a fanboy of a company as big as Disney. It's like being a fanboy for Standard Oil or US Steel or Microsoft.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

TIme to be brave and admit that Disney can totally blow it on occasion.

I just can't get being a fanboy of a company as big as Disney. It's like being a fanboy for Standard Oil or US Steel or Microsoft.

Oh I don't think the movie will be big at all, but I still have hope it can at least be a good movie.

And the size just doesn't matter, Disney is the company that brought me all the animated movies I love (apart from a few Ghibli ones) and I'll always love them for that, WDAS is a fantastic studio deserving all the praise, you can feel the love in all their movies: they're passionate and dreamers.

• Like 1

When you look at it, Disney has a serious problem with its live-action fairy-tale division. Many of them are either downright commercial and critical flops (AWiT, John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, Alice Through The Looking Glass) or turn a profit based on nostalgia, novelty factor or popular name (Maleficent, Alice, BaTB, Cinderella), yet also fail critically. Only The Jungle Book was a true winner, a genuinely good movie that also impressed with its visuals. Even now Disney has (probably) managed to completely screw up a popular story that has never received a good adaptation even though it should've been a no-brainer for WDAS to develop a good and visually beautiful story. Y'all talking about problems with Lucasfilm, but there's a giant division of the company that might implode much more spectacularly than Lucasfilm after Solo (if you can call that an implosion) if Aladdin bombs.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Oh I don't think the movie will be big at all, but I still have hope it can at least be a good movie.

And the size just doesn't matter, Disney is the company that brought me all the animated movies I love (apart from a few Ghibli ones) and I'll always love them for that, WDAS is a fantastic studio deserving all the praise, you can feel the love in all their movies: they're passionate and dreamers.

COme off it. DInsey has shown how ruthless it can be on several occasions. And it has made it's share of crap like any other studio.

But go ahead and live in your little fantasy world.....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

When you look at it, Disney has a serious problem with its live-action fairy-tale division. Many of them are either downright commercial and critical flops (AWiT, John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, Alice Through The Looking Glass) or turn a profit based on nostalgia, novelty factor or popular name (Maleficent, Alice, BaTB, Cinderella), yet also fail critically. Only The Jungle Book was a true winner, a genuinely good movie that also impressed with its visuals. Even now Disney has (probably) managed to completely screw up a popular story that has never received a good adaptation even though it should've been a no-brainer for WDAS to develop a good and visually beautiful story. Y'all talking about problems with Lucasfilm, but there's a giant division of the company that might implode much more spectacularly than Lucasfilm after Solo (if you can call that an implosion) if Aladdin bombs.

Cinderella failed critically? An 83% RT, 67 MC film failed critically?

Same also applies for Beauty and the Beast. Some of us may hate on it, but it still received generally positive reviews.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I still don't see this film doing well and not because of lousy reviews either. 

Agreed....this seems like one of those ideas that should not have been greenlighted to begin with...at least not in the form it has taken.

But I am betting the reviews are not going to help matters.  The did show some footage on Cannes to the press and the response was underwhelming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

This thing seriously comes out in 2.5 weeks? I've seen zero ads anywhere. I saw Wrinkle ads. Hell, I even saw Strange Magic ads, and next to nobody remembers that movie ever existed.

You must not have been to the movies in the past two months. They've been showing stuff from it during the pre-show.

7 hours ago, Titan Man said:

you are right that Disney has a big problem with it's live-action division but categories are different: first are based on their beloved animation classics that almost always turn a profit, second are "original" so they practically always flop (because Disney can't promote an original material to save their life or the budgets are too high for the amount of interest). So I don't know how you get to conclusion about Alladin when in reality it can flop only if it's awful & Disney's greediness in pushing 3 live-action movies so close to each other next year will take a toll. I actually like most of their flops except for AWiT. The quality of production is usually high but it's clearly the scripts that are the weak point. And yeah it's really strange that Disney decided to adapt a really popular story(around the world & not only in America like Wrinkle lol) to live action instead of animation. Such a waste even though the main girl looks really good but they seemed to change a perfectly fine straight original story for whatever we'll see. They really need a new person in charge of their live-action who can stop them from making more Wrinkles & Nutcrackers at least in the form they seem to be.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

COme off it. DInsey has shown how ruthless it can be on several occasions. And it has made it's share of crap like any other studio.

But go ahead and live in your little fantasy world.....

Businesses aren't charities, I'm fine with that. You're the one living in a fantasy on that one..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Businesses aren't charities, I'm fine with that. You're the one living in a fantasy on that one..

Oh, snap! :jeb!: Good one.

But in all seriousness...the only people who thinks this will bomb & suck are the same people who despise most Disney live action fantasies. What about other companies and their live action fantasies? Do they also have that same minor problem?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 2