Blankments

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms | Nov 2 2018 | Lasse Hallstrom

16 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Cinderella failed critically? An 83% RT, 67 MC film failed critically?

Same also applies for Beauty and the Beast. Some of us may hate on it, but it still received generally positive reviews.

Actually, I liked those two movies quite a lot, Cinderella was obviously an improvement over the original, and I quite loved BaTB when I first saw it in the theater (even though it's worse than Cinderella, and can't compare to the original movie). However, one can argue that both of those movies are now mostly forgotten only a couple of years after the release only because they didn't provide anything new or interesting, they just slightly built upon the original. Also, Disney has a strange problem with cinematography, only SW movies seem to escape it. For instance, take BaTB, a really expensive movie for which hundreds of millions were spent, yet when you watch it, it looks like a TV show with really good costumes and sets. Same for most Marvel movies (even though I really, really love them, it's just a problem that has been bugging me with them). Even when you look at the trailers for this film, you see loads of expensive CGI, yet the scenes don't really look cinematic enough for the budget it has. All style, no supstance. 

11 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Oh, snap! :jeb!: Good one.

But in all seriousness...the only people who thinks this will bomb & suck are the same people who despise most Disney live action fantasies. What about other companies and their live action fantasies? Do they also have that same minor problem?

Nonsense. I have nothng against live action fantasies, it's just that "Nutcracker" looks pretty bad.

And, yeah, from the trailers this film looks like it will suck. And I think I have a lot of company.

That Disney seems to be not spending it's usual amounts marketing this, and have a very tight   24 hour before it opens, ben on reviews tells you that the Mouse itself does not have much faith in this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Titan Man said:

Actually, I liked those two movies quite a lot, Cinderella was obviously an improvement over the original, and I quite loved BaTB when I first saw it in the theater (even though it's worse than Cinderella, and can't compare to the original movie). However, one can argue that both of those movies are now mostly forgotten only a couple of years after the release only because they didn't provide anything new or interesting, they just slightly built upon the original. Also, Disney has a strange problem with cinematography, only SW movies seem to escape it. For instance, take BaTB, a really expensive movie for which hundreds of millions were spent, yet when you watch it, it looks like a TV show with really good costumes and sets. Same for most Marvel movies (even though I really, really love them, it's just a problem that has been bugging me with them). Even when you look at the trailers for this film, you see loads of expensive CGI, yet the scenes don't really look cinematic enough for the budget it has. All style, no supstance. 

I also think there are huge differences between Cinderella/Beauty and the Beast and Nutcracker and the Four Realms; differences big enough to aruge that Nutcracker will be a success because those teo films were a success a pretty weak argument.

I think Nutcracke is going to be Alice 2 all over as far as box office goes.

Edited by dudalb

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Was this fake news?

IF Val was talking about "Nitcracker" ,yeah, it's fake news; given that The Mouse has imposed a Embargo on reviews up until 24 hours before the film opens.......

But then Val talks a lot of shit, frankly, which is why he has managed to make my ignore list, which does not happen that often.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

Nonsense. I have nothng against live action fantasies, it's just that "Nutcracker" looks pretty bad.

And, yeah, from the trailers this film looks like it will suck. And I think I have a lot of company.

That Disney seems to be not spending it's usual amounts marketing this, and have a very tight   24 hour before it opens, ben on reviews tells you that the Mouse itself does not have much faith in this.

Says the same guy who didn’t think DWA would have a great future and that JW: FK wouldn’t do so great considering the reception. Yeah....you may act like the always mature know-it-all who knows exactly what will happen to film companies for the upcoming future for the worse, but it doesn’t work that way. Even for you.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 11:47 PM, dudalb said:

COme off it. DInsey has shown how ruthless it can be on several occasions. And it has made it's share of crap like any other studio.

But go ahead and live in your little fantasy world.....

Hey, dudiee-boy.

Would you please stop being a douche to those who at least will enjoy this movie when it comes out? You’re being such a desperate joykiller with that ”Go ahead and live in your little fantasy world”, like you think you are the most mature user here in BOT.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

It appears, based on the trailers, that money has been well spent on costumes and sets.

The trailers look really good but then the ones for Lone Ranger looked ok as well.

I get a Narnia meets Alice in Wonderland type of vibe off the film. That is enough to make me curious. For me time to see this is tough. 

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A week to go before it opens, and not a lot in the way of marketing, certainly nothing like the final push Disney usually gives it films. . I think the Mouse has written this one off.

Don't know where you're looking but I see ads for this all the time. It even has digital billboards along I-95. This is definitely more of a Christopher Robin/A Wrinkle in Time level project for them, though.

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't know where you're looking but I see ads for this all the time. It even has digital billboards along I-95. This is definitely more of a Christopher Robin/A Wrinkle in Time level project for them, though.

Sacramento, and am seeing practically nothing. A lot less then I saw for Pooh.

But TV is what matters, and I have seen few ads for it, whereas I saw plenty for Pooh.

It's not that The Mouse is not marketing it does seem to have set a defient limit to how much they are going to spend for this.

On the other hand, ads and commericials for "Bohemian Rhapsody" are all over the place.  If Disney is being out spent on marketing, it's a sign they don't have a great deal of faith in a movie.

And there little in the way of general "buzz". i

• Like 1

I've now seen/heard three TV ads so far recently. One was on the Disney channel during Duck Tales, another was a Glade commercial co-marketing for the movie, and the other I was in another room so I didn't get the specifics of it but heard its name.

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Like 1

On the one hand IMO the 1:30 trailer looks charming (from setting, costumes, music, the Russian palace, K. Knightley and M. Foy,...). OTOH, as often mentioned already, they seem to mess a lot with the originals. Nothing wrong with adding something new or changing something (although absolutely not needed and I mean something, not the whole source material) as long as this doesn't lead to a movie with a worse or confused story. I wonder how many people will avoid it because they fear it will be a silly mishmash.

It won't reach Cinderella (67.9M), Maleficent (69.4M) or TBatB (174.8M) levels, by far not, and two of them had something in common which The Nutcracker avoided namely a central lovestory (Maleficent had also two which were not in the center but it had A. Jolie and, if you want, even a third one).
But I can hardly imagine that this film with trailers that look at least way better than that for A Wrinkle in Time (33.1M OW) opens under 25M. Even The House With a Clock in its Walls opened to 26.6M. Plus, Halloween will of course decrease heavily in November and Bohemian Rhapsody will probably still be a hit but the mixed reviews should restrain it from attracting all the attention. I think that how reviews turn out will be very important for The Nutcracker. Really bad ones could mean a sub-20M opening, with surprisingly good ones I could even see a 30M+ weekend.