CaptainJackSparrow

Slender Man | Sony/Screen Gems | Aug 10, 2018 | First Trailer on Page 2

Sony shipping this around to other studios, eeek. Sony want to do a smaller release, the producers want a big marketing push.

Sony have seen the film and don’t think it warrants it.

Edit: 

STX won’t take it, So I’m guessing Netflix or Amazon might. Or Global, if they can afford it. 

If not, Sony will most likely dump it harder than they already planned to. 

Edited by Krissykins

What can other studios do with the movie after this bad buzz being generated, that Sony could not do prior to it? Why not just keep mum and release it as discretely as possible? Maybe the friction between producers gets unintentional released but Sony could have put a lid on that as a major studio.

29 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Loooooool

Something from August 3 should move here. That date is way too crowded.

I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts Sony will move their own film, Searching, to that date. It would win the weekend in a heartbeat (at least in terms of new releases), and it would separate it from the similarly-filmed Unfriended: Dark Web.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Being shopped to other studios amid dispute between Sony and the producers:

https://variety.com/2018/film/markets-festivals/slender-man-sony-1202826660/

This article also has information about a petition to stop the release of this film. The petition involves the father of the girl that was attacked by two of her friends who were dedicated believers of the Slenderman internet creepypasta. The petition has over 19,000 signatures, less than 1,000 away from its goal (which is 20,000). I've posted the link below.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/820/804/773/

As someone who's a big fan of creepypastas and horror stories of that nature, this movie failing would probably end any potential great ones from potentially getting adaptations. 

Of course, there are a lot of really shitty creepypastas out there so its probably not all bad. But still, I'd kill for an SCP movie or adaptations of Penpal/Borrasca.

The fact that this movie has been shown to Netflix and Amazon and even they don't want it tells me everything I need to know about how horrible this movie must be. 

Apparently the producers wanted a big marketing push and Sony doesn't think the product is worthy of that....and well given the fact that streaming platforms don't even want it, I'm assuming Sony may very well be right. No point in investing more money into a product that stinks. 

• Like 2

The film has been shown to Amazon and Netflix and both agreed the film's final product isn't worthy of a big style theatrical release.

On 14/03/2018 at 3:43 AM, K1stpierre said:

Also, this will absolutely make bank (in terms of how much they spent vs gained I mean). There’s no way, there’s still a huge following for this and I would not be surprised to see an opening between 25-40M if it’s marketed right.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yes

Okay thought that's what you meant.

I agree, by the way. That August 3rd date is much too crowded, not just in terms of sheer number of releases but in terms of potential "must see" ones. Honestly, though, which studio would be willing to do that? I could imagine them all preferring to have their films cannibalized on that weekend but still reap the benefits of the whole month of August, rather than have room to breathe on the 24th weekend but potentially not make a lot anyway due to landing in that awful, barren wasteland part of the year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I’m surprised they haven’t at least put out another trailer, that first trailer was so awful. This is just over a month now and the marketing it no where.

Considering the studio tried (and apparently failed in) selling it off, I wouldn't expect it to get much of a marketing push (for probably sound reasons).

36 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Considering the studio tried (and apparently failed in) selling it off, I wouldn't expect it to get much of a marketing push (for probably sound reasons).

I wonder if the controversy had something to do with it or if it’s really that bad.

Edited by cookie