kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

3 hours ago, Celedhring said:

The musical is essentially a bunch of disconnected dance/song numbers with a really thin frame story. Even ignoring the furry weirdness I really don't see this working as a film.

THIS.

Not sure the songs are totally disconnected....they are a series of poems by TS Eliot about cats set to music,....but yeah, the story in so thin as to be non existent at times.

It worked on stage, but, yeah, with film, where you need a strong narrative, it would have been really hard to pull off even without the problem of how do you show the main charecters.

Clear a lot of people here do not know anthing about the stage version of "Cats" or anything about live theater, and thus are pretty ignorant of why a lot of times things that work on stage will not work on film..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

And they've got brass balls if nothing else.

This is my take away from this aswell. Wow, what a move to go with this kind of visual style. If nothing else, this will be a very unique movie for sure...

21 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

They really should have gone the animation route with anthopomorphic animals ala Zootopia dancing like in the stage, at least that would have been more palattable than... whatever this is.

Yeah.Trying to just duplicate what was done on stage was a bad, bad idea. The problem with the..things ....in the trailer is they are too much like human beings.

Humans dressed and made up like cats you can get away with in a live stage production but not in movies.
Not to mention that the design and make up for the original and touring production of Cats was a lot better then what we saw in that trailer.

Why are directors so afraid to call animation animation and use words like photorealistic CGI or digital fur technology?

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

I know there's a huge danger in giving too much credence to the above given that it became an instant hate-sink and meme to be laughed at, but, damn, that's a really bad like/dislike ratio.  116k down on a vid with less than 5m views isn't pretty either.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I know there's a huge danger in giving too much credence to the above given that it became an instant hate-sink and meme to be laughed at, but, damn, that's a really bad like/dislike ratio.  116k down on a vid with less than 5m views isn't pretty either.

I mean, we all admit it’s gonna be big. Right?

Right?

• Thanks 1

Last post notwithstanding, still not entirely sure this won't find something of an audience.  There's a lot that's... not good in that trailer, to say the least.  But Cats is a hugely popular broadway production.  Might still find some people who actually want to watch it, and I don't mean in the ironic sense, either.

I know that the internet had a good laugh at its expense last night (I popped in a couple of tweets myself).  But, I dunno.  Guess I am wary when The Received Wisdom of the Internet is so one sided.  Makes me wonder if we're missing something or not. 

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, we all admit it’s gonna be big. Right?

Right?

See my last post, you mind reader. 👍  I get the sense that a lot of the net thinks it's gonna bomb, and I just am wary that some of us on this thread might get the wrong idea of its box office prospects.

Me?  Really not sure, to be honest.  It's gonna get flattened on opening weekend (opening against TROS), but it's still the holidays so it has plenty of time to earn dollars in the background.  I'm just not sure how leggy it will be when all is said and done.