kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, Nova said:

Yes. Fandoms don’t matter when it comes to box office. 

Someone like Taylor Swift got as big as she did because she is a musician not because she’s an actress. Just because people buy your music and buy tickets to your tours doesn’t mean they want to watch you on the big screen. Especially if the product that’s on the big screen is subpar. 

I can name a long list of huge pop stars who tried for a film career and never made it big in the movies.

For every Elvis who pulls it off, there are nine who fail.

But don't expect the fanboys to get thi

I still think this just looks too weird to be a hit. Comparasions with 
Greatest Showman, which was a traditional musical, are plain off the mark.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:51 AM, nick64 said:

I laughed. If Adele is the benchmark for success, then literally no musician today is successful. She’s an anomaly, not the standard. And any argument that resorts to calling fans of someone or something insipid is clearly a weak argument.

Why is this discussion even happening? A) She very clearly still has an audience, even if she’s no longer at her peak, and it’s simply ignorant to think otherwise regardless of opinions of her; and B) this is the CATS thread! There’s so much material relating to the actual movie that we could be ripping on instead!

And totally ignore the fact the popularity as a pop star fails to carry over into the movies much,much, more often then it succeeds.

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And totally ignore the fact the popularity as a pop star fails to carry over into the movies much,much, more often then it succeeds.

? I mean you’re right, but that’s not what I was commenting on at all. Never said the Taylor fans will actually go see this, it’s most likely gonna flop. But the conversation was devolving into whether she’s still successful or not, which is what I think is silly.

I wouldn't waste my time (anymore) arguing with that PDC1987 guy. Dude's completely delusional, if you bother to check Swift's topic on the Music Area, you'll find him posting in 2014 claiming that she was over (when she was actually at the peak of her career), he's been doing the same thing in every one of her Eras, it's almost comical if not tragic, lmfao.

Oh, and btw, her album Lover is predicted to return to #3 on Billboard this week, 3 months after it's release, and despite having zero smash hits. It's definitely the trajectory that a front-loaded artist follows!

• Like 2

Hmm. I want to ask this question.

Would a ”Cats”-musical movie like this, look less creepy and more natural if there were actual cats rather than humanoid ones?

05e44ad8f2f0fe83b071e106786d1c57.jpgcfe2d2bcf11ef8d9a00551d2869fdf36--cat-pl

Though probably with use of (good) CGI? Maybe those who are unfamiliar with Andrew Lloyd Webber’s original Cats-musical, are the ones feeling uncomfortable by how this most recent movie adaptation directed by Tom Hooper, looks in the trailers.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

17 hours ago, nick64 said:

? I mean you’re right, but that’s not what I was commenting on at all. Never said the Taylor fans will actually go see this, it’s most likely gonna flop. But the conversation was devolving into whether she’s still successful or not, which is what I think is silly.

Oh I agree. Swift is not quite as huge as she was a few years ago, but that happens with every pop artist.She is still one of the biggest names in pop music though not quite as dominant as she once was.

Talking like she is washed up is stupid.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Hmm. I want to ask this question.

Would a ”Cats”-musical movie like this, look less creepy and more natural if there were actual cats rather than humanoid ones?

05e44ad8f2f0fe83b071e106786d1c57.jpgcfe2d2bcf11ef8d9a00551d2869fdf36--cat-pl

Though probably with use of (good) CGI? Maybe those who are unfamiliar with Andrew Lloyd Webber’s original Cats-musical, are the ones feeling uncomfortable by how this most recent movie adaptation directed by Tom Hooper, looks in the trailers.

I always thought that though Cats worked on stage, it would be hard as hell to make work on screen. I stand by that statement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

This is either going to pull "The Greatest Showman" numbers or bomb completely.

A part of me gets the slight feeling that this could pull a Welcome to Marwen (another movie widely criticized for its creepy visuals) and totally flop but I dunno. Will probably end up being the most fun movie to track over the holidays given it could go in literally any direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

A part of me gets the slight feeling that this could pull a Welcome to Marwen (another movie widely criticized for its creepy visuals) and totally flop but I dunno. Will probably end up being the most fun movie to track over the holidays given it could go in literally any direction.

Actually Welcome to Marwen could end up being a really good comparison for Cats. Didn't even think of that (probably because I can't imagine it will go that low, but we'll see).

I think it isn't going to follow any extreme projection. I'm quite sure it's going to have the most boring run possible: Something around $70m-$80m DOM, thanks to Holiday's legs plus $100m-$120m OS, probably a $200m WW total which wouldn't be a success, but also couldn't be considered a failure, something similar to what happened with Passengers few years ago.