kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

6 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I think 2017 already teached us that movies can co-exist (and even hurt) a SW movie. I don't see the point in these reactions, especially when this new SW is locked to be the lowest in the trilogy, and it's coming after the disaster that was Solow. Wake up, we're not in 2015 anymore.

You've seen the Cats trailer right?

According to Variety, the Hollywood Foreign Press has seen this film and liked it a lot. Not surprising since they love musicals. So it will probably get a Golden Globe nom in the best picture musical category, Jennifer Hudson for best actress and best song for Taylor (that’s what Variety is predicting) 

Edited by Nova
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

According to Variety, the Hollywood Foreign Press has seen this film and liked it a lot. Not surprising since they love musicals. So it will probably get a Golden Globe nom in the best picture musical category, Jennifer Hudson for best actress and best song for Taylor (that’s what Variety is predicting) 

This probably won't get the King speech type of reviews but I have a feeling it's going to get Les Mis or better reviews. At the end of the day this film still has a great director and a great screenwriter and like it or not the production values look very top notch. Some of you might want to start preparing ourselves for a surprise hit.

3 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

This probably won't get the King speech type of reviews but I have a feeling it's going to get Les Mis or better reviews. At the end of the day this film still has a great director and a great screenwriter and like it or not the production values look very top notch. Some of you might want to start preparing ourselves for a surprise hit.

I'm not sure about surprise hit because people need to want to see the movie and I'm not sure they have done a good job with that. But the rumors going around about the studio being afraid to screen this because it's so bad and it missing the golden globes because it wasn't going to get screened etc can get laid to rest now since it's officially been screen to the HFPA. Whether it gets a good critical reception is another story though as HFPA loves musicals so their taste doesn't always align with critics. 

FWIW this has sold a bunch of seats so far around me, but with an asterisk: they're almost all for Christmas Day (the 1:30 show at the closest theater has already sold about 30 seats while the 4:30 has sold around 20 so far in one of the biggest auditoriums). Don't think anyone should be surprised if this comes below its current $15-20M tracking (especially opening against Star Wars) for an opening in The Greatest Showman territory of around $10M before posting its biggest numbers on Christmas Day and recovering over the rest of the holidays from there.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

The Hollywood Foreign Press (composed of international critics outside of the U.S.) is not necessarily known as the arbiter of quality cinema.  While the Golden Globes can offer some preditions of awards sway, there are stark differences between what the HFP privileges vs. The Academy and most other institutions worldwide. 

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

The Hollywood Foreign Press (composed of international critics outside of the U.S.) is not necessarily known as the arbiter of quality cinema.  While the Golden Globes can offer some preditions of awards sway, there are stark differences between what the HFP privileges vs. The Academy and most other institutions worldwide. 

True but we have to ask yourself is there any reactions to the film that points to it being hated or getting negative reviews. Trailers reactions don't count because it just gives you a two-minute Clips up clips from the film. So far all we know is that the film  special effects was just completed and it's starting to screen and that the people that have seen it have liked it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

True but we have to ask yourself is there any reactions to the film that points to it being hated or getting negative reviews. Trailers reactions don't count because it just gives you a two-minute Clips up clips from the film. So far all we know is that the film  special effects was just completed and it's starting to screen and that the people that have seen it have liked it.

I'd be willing to bet that critics will not be kind to this, if it turns out to be what it looks like, an extremely ill-advised technical and aesthetic snafu that spends huge amounts of money doing something that could have been done much more satisfyingly with practical outfits, like the stage show.  Similarly to The Lion King, they will call out its technological hubris if the story also doesn't offer anything fundamentally meaningful.

As far as people seeing it already in the industry, if it's happened, friends who see friends stuff are generally kind and don't needless trash stuff as a sign of respect.  I think honestly that not a lot of people have seen this thing, yet, simply because they've been working down to the wire to make it even tolerable on visual terms.  We'll see. 

3 hours ago, Nova said:

I'm going after everyone here if it actually gets good reviews. This movie has been trashed/trolled here for months. 

Edited by The Horror of Lucas Films
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1