kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

Still can't decide if this is going to bomb hard or just do alright. I definitely know it's not going to be a hit. I'd be shocked. I compared it to Welcome to Marwen awhile ago but I'm thinking that's way too extreme. There's at least a hook for this (famous musical, Taylor Swift, good cast in general etc.) whereas....nobody knew wtf Marwen even was.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:01 AM, Macleod said:

The Hollywood Foreign Press (composed of international critics outside of the U.S.) is not necessarily known as the arbiter of quality cinema.  While the Golden Globes can offer some preditions of awards sway, there are stark differences between what the HFP privileges vs. The Academy and most other institutions worldwide. 

Pia Zadora won a golden globe.

The Golden Globes considered "The Martian " to be a comedy.

That is all you need to know about the Globes.

They are ptty much a joke in Hollywood. Useful for marketing and free publicity, but not in any way to be taken seriously as an award.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:28 AM, Curtis1986 said:

huge congratulations to Taylor Swift for best song. It will be fun seeing Queen Beyonce and Princess Taylor being nominated for best song at the Oscars. 

So they added a song for the movie?

Otherwise, the song would not be eligible. It has to be written specifically for  a movie.

And I find your over the top fan worship of Swift to be disturbing.

Edited by dudalb

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, JB33 said:

Still can't decide if this is going to bomb hard or just do alright. I definitely know it's not going to be a hit. I'd be shocked. I compared it to Welcome to Marwen awhile ago but I'm thinking that's way too extreme. There's at least a hook for this (famous musical, Taylor Swift, good cast in general etc.) whereas....nobody knew wtf Marwen even was.

But then the Marwen trailers did not make it look as weird as all hell. Which has been the main problem from day one.

Problem is you have to have seen the play to get why it does not lend itself easily for a film adaptation.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

But then the Marwen trailers did not make it look as weird as all hell. Which has been the main problem from day one.

Problem is you have to have seen the play to get why it does not lend itself easily for a film adaptation.

What kind of an OW are you ultimately expecting for this?

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What kind of an OW are you ultimately expecting for this?

An opening similar to what The Greatest Showman did of $8-9M would seem about right since most of its audience is likely waiting until Christmas Day arrives to check it out. Should find its way to a $60-70M total at least since there's definitely an audience for a PG-rated musical based on a long-running Broadway smash at this time of year, even if the movie doesn't look particularly good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ban1o said:

The fact that this missed a best picture nomination at globes is not a good sign of the movies quality. 

The 2004 Phantom of the Opera is in the 30s on Rotten Tomatoes and got a Best Picture - Musical or Comedy nomination from the Globes. They love big budget musicals, so I would agree the relative lack of Cats love is concerning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The 2004 Phantom of the Opera is in the 30s on Rotten Tomatoes and got a Best Picture - Musical or Comedy nomination from the Globes. They love big budget musicals, so I would agree the relative lack of Cats love is concerning.

Yep. I can’t remember the last time a big budget musical with huge stars missed a nomination. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

They also nominated Nine as well (heck, they were probably planning to make that a coronation for the movie until it opened and flopped and they ended up going with The Hangover instead).

• Like 1

I can't orientate to the scales used in this. They all look like shrunken cat people, not just cat people. That's a somewhat unsettling feeling, even if you get used to the CGI/digital fur technology.

But, I think I might still give it a shot. Do It For Digital Fur Technology = DIFDFT.

• Like 1

I will admit, there's a lot of growing curiosity about this film among my circles. Mostly it's the whole "based on a famous stage musical" angle though. I'm guessing that alone will make it an element of prestige to the movie, even if it's a minuscule element. 

• Like 1