kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW I did see the musical once and it really is shit that somehow ran on Broadway for nearly 20 years so the movie turning out to be a mess is among the least shocking developments ever. This looks so badly-conceived on every level from the design to the completely random casting (like did they pick these people out of a hat?) from the beginning that it automatically looks like a must-see though.

I think Cats does work as theatre but translating it to film was always going to be a hard task.

• Like 1

CATS was secretly planned by Disney, three years in the making, to make Rise of Skywalker look better by comparison.

Sidenote, the Wikipedia article for CATS currently describes it as a "surrealist horror film"

My favorite blurb on RT right now: "You must witness the hubris of director Tom Hooper. You must witness the hubris of Hollywood. The hubris of these performers."

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

In terms of future movie musicals, I think only Wicked will get a big budget when Universal gets round to making it.

The bad reviews of Cats will give Paramount pause for thought on Sunset Boulevard but TBH that one is more suited to an adaptation given it was based on a movie originally.

21 minutes ago, RichWS said:

This calls for the legendary commercial every kid growing up in NYC/Jersey saw roughly a thousand times. Seriously, I can't stress enough how often this was played on the local stations.

This ad is missing the ominous (and thankfully eventually untrue) tagline -

Cats, now and forever at the Winter Garden theatre

• Haha 1

A tale of two broken critics - one rotten, one fresh B)

First off, full disclosure - I am not a cat person. Second off - after watching this frankly mortifying film adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats, I'm not altogether sure I am a movie person anymore either.

Rating: .5/5

Alan Corr /  RTÉ (Ireland)

I gasped with laughter, I covered my face, I pulled at my hair, I clasped my hands over my mouth to keep from screaming. Cats had broken me, and I'd never felt happier.

Angie Han / Mashable

• Haha 4