kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

13 hours ago, Jessie said:

Cats is gay and musicals are gay so fuck this

I disagree with this.

Musicals can be gay--in other words, having something to say about the theme of Homosexuality. Rent is a popular example of a 'gay' musical, for instance.

Musicals can seem frilly and incomprehensible, but it's all by design. Characters break off into song and the editing accomodates their decision, not necessarily because the film is gay, but because the film is choosing to be different.

The idea that musicals are the queer equivalent to non-musical narrative storytelling is one that baffles me, because many films across that genre line share the same ideas, the same thoughts, the same basic sense of empathy.

Is Lin-Manuel Miranda suddenly 'gay' after working for many years to bring his stageplay Hamilton to life? He isn't. That only shows that he's willing to try and give something significant to people all over the world in the form of his musical stories, which is one of the hardest feats to pull off in our modern history.

It's okay if musicals aren't your personal taste--though after watching The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, and a treasure trove of Disney films, I can say with certainty that you're missing out on some great things. But the moment you insult an entire genre is the moment you insult many people who've chosen the genre as their occupation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Slambros said:

I disagree with this.

Musicals can be gay--in other words, having something to say about the theme of Homosexuality. Rent is a popular example of a 'gay' musical, for instance.

Musicals can seem frilly and incomprehensible, but it's all by design. Characters break off into song and the editing accomodates their decision, not necessarily because the film is gay, but because the film is choosing to be different.

The idea that musicals are the queer equivalent to non-musical narrative storytelling is one that baffles me, because many films across that genre line share the same ideas, the same thoughts, the same basic sense of empathy.

Is Lin-Manuel Miranda suddenly 'gay' after working for many years to bring his stageplay Hamilton to life? He isn't. That only shows that he's willing to try and give something significant to people all over the world in the form of his musical stories, which is one of the hardest feats to pull off in our modern history.

It's okay if musicals aren't your personal taste--though after watching The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, and a treasure trove of Disney films, I can say with certainty that you're missing out on some great things. But the moment you insult an entire genre is the moment you insult many people who've chosen the genre as their occupation.

I don't understand why you see this as an insult? calling something gay doesn't have to be seen as 'negative'. it's just gay, like pro wrestling

15 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I don't understand why you see this as an insult? calling something gay doesn't have to be seen as 'negative'. it's just gay, like pro wrestling

I guess it's les of an insult and more of an intentional inaccuracy. I think I know what you mean by gay, and I'd probably say, in the example of pro wrestling when compared to other martial arts, is that pro wrestling is glamorized, or delapidated, or insubstantial. I'm just not sure if there is enough ethical legitimacy to use the word 'gay' to describe that sentiment. A cartoon is more delapidated, and usually more 'frilly' and 'romp-ish' than a fully-fledged animated film, but that doesn't mean I'd outright call the cartoons 'gay'. I would use those aforementioned words like 'frilly' and 'romp-ish' instead, because there is no confusion, and it has no chance of outright demeaning someone's creative work.

What I'm saying is this: there is a myriad of alternative adjectives to use when describing the feeling you have towards musicals other than 'gay'. It is my persinal suggestion that you, at the very least, consider searching for a vocabulary set that fits you, so that your words accurately describe your feeling without fail. It is a crazy landscape on the internet these days, and the most innocent of phrases can easily be taken out of context.

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

How old are you again?

Don't know who is worse...the troll who you are speaking to, or the  sucker who fell for the troll bait.

Anyway, mission successful ....the troll managed to derail the thread.

Just now, DMan7 said:

You Americans sure do like your musicals dontcha?

Hey, the Brits love them too.....Cats opened in the West End in London.

And that makes as much sense as "you sure like your comic book movies, dontcha?"/

It like every other type of entertainment:Some are good, some are bad,some are mediocre.

Just now, dudalb said:

Hey, the Brits love them too.....Cats opened in the West End in London.

And that makes as much sense as "you sure like your comic book movies, dontcha?"/

It like every other type of entertainment:Some are good, some are bad,some are mediocre.

NO need to get defensive it wasn't an insult, it's ok if you all like your musicals. 

42 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the thing about cats is that it's about cats. and all the cats sing about that they're cats. all the songs are basically "i'm a cat". that's why people like it i think.

It's works as a stage show, very skeptical it it can work as a film, given there basically is no story, You also gotta wonder if actors made up to look like cats is going to work on the big screen. In a stage show, you don't have close ups, and I wonder if, no matter how well done, the cat make up will just look silly close up.

5 hours ago, Blankments said:

It's a spectacle. Kinda like Wicked where it's total shit but it's fun to watch

Wicked is decidedly not shit. At least, the iteration I saw in Dallas was full of depth in addition to being great entertainment.