kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

33 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Tom Hooper getting an Oscar for The King's Speech and thus an opportunity to inflict Les Mis, The Danish Girl, and this on the world is the supervillain story of our time.

Can we rescind that Best Director Oscar yet? 

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

I thought that having both Daisy Ridley and Chalabae movies for Christmas was perfect. But Tom Hooper had to steal my Christmas

Um, The Rise of Skywalker was moved to February 2020. You really think that Disney is that stupid to let it get steamrolled? They would never leave SW to be the sacrificial lamb, give them some credit. The only studio that hasn't moved out of their November and December slate within the past hour is Paramount. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AJG said:

Can anyone confirm the plot to this thing I just read on Wikipedia?

its seemingly a bunch of different characters introducing themselves one by one for 2 hours with an ending stuck on. If there’s a story then I can’t find it.

I can confirm it, having seen a couple of productions of it.

It actually works quite well on stage, but the lack of any real narrative would make it really hard to transalate to the screen.

Aside from the whole "How do you do the Cats on screen : issue.

It's a bunch of T S Eliots poems set to music, basically.

It has become the textbook example of the "Concept " musical: A musical built around a group of songs with a similar theme rather then a actual story.

Edited by dudalb

6 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

No. Unfortunately the Cinemascore will be high and I can foresee a Greatest Showman reaction. People love their brainless musicals. 

I agree, the multi will be in the 20x range like TGS. Only question is does this settle for beating TFA's holiday opening record or is it coming for Endgame's? Will need to see if the marketing can remain on this level, but if so I'd lean towards the latter. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Dude, no.

I love the whole "All Musicals Are The Same" theme we are getting from some people here.

And someone who would call all musicals "brainless" is simply too ignorant to be taken seriously

[Tom] Hooper was young old. He had just directed The Danish Girl. Hooper had called a meeting to discuss his "next project." Everyone knew Hooper had written a treatment for Cat 2 that nobody would touch because Cat was not a massive financial success. Cat 2 was not on the table. We expected a professional pitch from Hooper, an outline and a treatment of what he had in mind with a cursory budget; perhaps a couple assistants to run a slide show. Instead Hooper walked in the room without so much as a piece of paper. He went to the chalk board in the room and simply wrote the word CAT. Then he added an 'S' to make CATS. Dramatically, he drew two vertical lines through the 'S', CAT$. He turned around and grinned. We green-lit the project that day for $180 million.

Fun behind the scenes look into how Hooper got this film made.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1