kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

3 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Hooper's biggest flaw in this movie is that he failed to understand that, while the non-plot structure may have worked on the stage, he definitely needed to write, you know... A STORY to sustain a fucking movie.

I'm a big sucker for musicals, even the bad ones, but Cats was abysmal, I couldn't believe they didn't even try to tell a story, it isn't even a movie, just a bunch of mini music videos, with almost no connection between them.

I strongly disagree;l his big mistake was trying to duplicate the way it was done on stage instead of full animatation.

And, at least on stage, Cats actually does have a story..at least a much as ,say, "A CHorus Line" does.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I strongly disagree;l his big mistake was trying to duplicate the way it was done on stage instead of full animatation.

And, at least on stage, Cats actually does have a story..at least a much as ,say, "A CHorus Line" does.

Another massively popular stage musical that flopped as a film though... Looking over the plot of A Chorus Line, it is kind of similar to Cats, in being a series of auditions with glimpses into the lives out the auditioners. A lot of movies musicals aren't big on plot but maybe have a stronger lead character and that resonates more with moviegoers? It's interesting to consider.

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Another massively popular stage musical that flopped as a film though... Looking over the plot of A Chorus Line, it is kind of similar to Cats, in being a series of auditions with glimpses into the lives out the auditioners. A lot of movies musicals aren't big on plot but maybe have a stronger lead character and that resonates more with moviegoers? It's interesting to consider.

Problem with "A Chorus Line" it they made too many changes from the play, and they had the wrong director in Richard Attenborough. He was a great director for Historical epics "A Bridge Too Far" and "Ghandi" but was not a good choice for a musical.

"A Chorus Line" though did not have the problem "Cats" had;which is that the way it was done on stage simply would not work on film. Actors dressed and made up as Cats you can get away with on the stage, but not on film, unless you shot the whole thing in long shots which.come to think of it, would not work either.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

there's no doubt the commentary was recorded before the movie came out so don't expect any reaction to the films failure or any juicy details. Probably just gushing and praise over the movie and cast

Didn’t he only finish it a few days before it was released? 

I saw that a theater I used to attend in Providence is playing this late at night during the weekends and pitching it as a new Rocky Horror. :lol:

I suppose it was inevitable. I had a damn good time just sitting and chuckling in a regular opening weekend matinee audience, so I’d imagine that watching it with a like-minded audience ready to have some fun at this movie’s expense would be a blast.