kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

Tom Hooper to Direct ‘Cats’ Movie for Universal

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/cats-movie-tom-hooper-1201767798/

Tom Hooper will direct and produce a movie adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical “Cats” forUniversal and Working Title.

Producers are Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner for Working Title along with Debra Hayward and Hooper.

Hooper teamed with Universal and Working Title for the 2012 movie adaptation of “Les Miserables,” starring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried. The film was a box office success with $440 million worldwide and critical triumph with three Academy Awards, including Hathaway for best supporting actress.

The musical “Cats” is based on T.S. Eliot’s poetry collection “Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats” and centers on a tribe of cats called the Jellicles who must decide nightly which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new life. The show was first performed in London in 1981 and ran on Broadway from 1987 to 2006.

My train of thought reading the title:

LMFAO. NO. Hooper was garbage on Les Mis and argh Corden and Swift wait. Omg. IAN MCKELLEN AND JENNIFER HUDSON.

this is gonna be such trash and I am ready. 

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Personally? Hooper's Les Miserables is one of subjective favorite films ever. The film was the first time I was able to experience the story, and I'm positive that the film played a part in shaping my life into what it is today. So I'm going to remain optimistic, go in blind just like I went in blind with Les Mis, and enjoy this adaption when it comes out.

• Like 1

I imagine it's going to be motion capture with live action environment.

The thing about Cats is that it's inherently theatrical and there's no real plot. Hooper's got his work cut out to make it work as a film. 

Of all the musicals they've yet to do as films, Miss Saigon needs to be made as it's cinematic even as a stage musical. 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

lmao Tom Hooper really wants to work with Taylor Swift for some reason, doesn't he? She was also considered for Cosette in Les Miserables before Amanda Seyfried was cast.

He actually offered the role of Eponine to her (and several media outlets reported on this), but apparently Cameron Mackintosh vetoed it and wanted Samantha Barks instead.

I'm curious how the heck they're gonna do this.  There was word that they wanted to make an animated adaptation at one point and that honestly might have been an easier sell.