newbie BO buff

Summer 2016 Bombs

Bombing is not breaking even

Bombing is not making your budget back.

Bombing is when you take a financial bath so to speak. If Alice makes 500 millWW that is far from a bomb. II don't have an exact percentage but I always viewed a bomb something where perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars not just breaking even.

• Like 3

Gods of Egypt

Huntsman

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

Zoolander 2

Pan

In the Heart of the Sea

Those are what you call box office bombs. Alice doing $500m WW is nowhere near that distinction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Bomb as in losing money. If budget is $200m + worldwide marketing $200m. Then doing $500m worldwide could be seen as a bomb. Money not recouped from theatrical run. 

I doubt that alice is getting a 200M ad campaign. I dont watch a lot of television but I havent noticed much promotion for it. The Jungle Book and Civil War were everywhere.

Tarzan will Bomb. They will spend around 375 mill incl P&A and im not even sure it will make that WW

Ben-Hur will also BOMB hard

Warcraft is a wildcard but only carries a budget around 120 mill i think. It wont be a disaster due to China

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Bombing is when you take a financial bath so to speak. If Alice makes 500 millWW that is far from a bomb. II don't have an exact percentage but I always viewed a bomb something where perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars not just breaking even.

Yeh so it wouldn't make its money back with $500m. Especially when studio only gets 25% of China gross. 

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh so it wouldn't make its money back with $500m. Especially when studio only gets 25% of China gross. 

But that's not a bomb.  

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

I'l assume Mad Max: Fury Road and Edge Of Tomorrow are bombs too, in that case? W/PTA's included, their budgets exceed 200M. As a matter of fact, Edge Of Tomorrow aparently cost 278M w/PTA. Neither film did as much as over 370M WW. Unless those movies had product placement + sponsor downgrades, and I'm pretty sure Mad Max had no product placement or major sponsors attached to it.

Agree w/the other two points though. To me a true bomb is a movie that doesn't even make its budget back, or it does but only by a very small margin (and without counting PTA). And, assuming Alice 2 costs as much as the 1st one, it'll have as much as a ceiling of around 275M budget PTA included and a floor of 225M w/PTA (Alice cost 150-200M and PTA was 'similar' to Prince Of Persia's so around 75M). If it does 500M in the ceiling situation, it doesn't break even (barely), but it doesn't lose the studio much money either [and 500M is the least I expect Alice 2 to make, w/around 700M WW being my actual prediction; no way it does under 50% from the original, folks, and all the other Disney fairytales except Oz (which went 450M+) crossed the 500M mark, Alice 2 shouldn't be the anomaly]. And in the floor situation, it'll have already made Disney a small profit. So, unless it costs about 350 without advertising, Alice 2 will definitely not be a straight up flop by the time it makes 500M.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Bomb as in losing money. If budget is $200m + worldwide marketing $200m. Then doing $500m worldwide could be seen as a bomb. Money not recouped from theatrical run. 

Most movies don't turn a profit theatrically. Do you consider most movies bombs?

• Like 1

I think you need to set different parameters for movie bombing if you honestly think that if a movie breaks even domestically it still considered a bomb. If that truly was the case Hollywood would have been bankrupt probably decades ago.

• Like 2

My thinking is:

Duds-Disappointing movies that are around break even point.  Example Terminator:Genysis, TASM2 

Bombs- Big budget movies that show up in company quarterly results as major write offs. Tomorrowland, The Lone Ranger, Jupiter Ascending.

I haven't been following Ben-Hur but Tarzan looks to be a prime candidate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ben-Hur has bomb written all over it. The fact they put in the dreaded late August spot is their way of saying "we've given up completely."

I agree.. But we need to see a budget first to know the real danger

I can't wait until Ghostbusters comes out to positive reactions from critics and audiences and all of the misogynists have egg on their faces. The fact that these man children think a Paul Feig movie is going to be that bad tells me something.

• Like 1