newbie BO buff

Summer 2016 Bombs

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm predicting a run almost identical to the first Despicable Me. Which would be a spectacular result.

This is probably quite reasonable.

I mean who knows, but it's still an original property and quite frankly...these guys aren't churning out animated classics.  Even if those little yellow bastards are box office gold.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2016 at 10:47 PM, filmlover said:

I'm predicting a run almost identical to the first Despicable Me. Which would be a spectacular result.

I don't get the appeal. The audience responses to the trailers have been muted. It's original in concept (slightly Toy Story esque) but I don't see breakout $300m numbers (despite $300m apparently being the new $200m).

I owe you a virtual beer if this makes over $300m.

1 minute ago, lilmac said:

I don't get the appeal. The audience responses to the trailers have been muted. It's original in concept (slightly Toy Story esque) but I don't see breakout $300m numbers (despite $300m apparently being the new $200m).

I owe you a virtual beer if this makes over $300m.

"what if animals could talk" is an original concept? LOL.

3 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

How is Warcraft a potential bomb exactly? Seems no one is expecting much of anything from it.

I think the studio is, since it's called Warcraft: The Beginning here in the UK. Plus they spent $160m net on production. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I think the studio is, since it's called Warcraft: The Beginning here in the UK. Plus they spent $160m net on production. 

They are marketing it similarly in Spain, it's called Warcraft: Origen (origins) in here. So they certainly hope to get a franchise out of this.

Regarding bombs, I expect a bunch of mild duds/disappointments rather than outright bombs. I don't think we will be getting a Fantastic Four or even a Huntsman: Winter's War this summer. Films like X-Men, Star Trek or Warcraft will imho not clear 200m (Warcraft might barely scratch 100m), but should do enough overseas in order not to be considered "bombs". Same with The BFG and Pete's Dragon, on a smaller scale. Angry Birds is doing very well internationaly, so you can already scratch that one from the potential bomb list, even if it disappoints domestically. Neighbors 2 will drop hard versus the first, but it's so cheap that it will still reap a profit. Ghostbusters will do fine, even if the budget ends up at $150m I expect that DOM at least... 

All in all, I can't see a Fantastic 4 or Tomorrowland in this summer's lineup. Some of those films will lose money, sure, but won't bleed seas of red.

Ben-Hur looks like a potential proper bomb though, what's the budget on that? I can't find.

2 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

I doubt Warcraft is gonna bomb. 

Literally just because of China 

Also, how bad is Alice doing?

Alice 2 is going to open to $40M US 4 day. The original did $116M 3 day.

That's all anyone needs to know.

Warcraft could still lose money. It'll only get 25% of China grosses. Net cost is over $320M with marketing.

On May 10, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Krissykins said:

That $154m was the green light budget before the Massachusetts tax credits. 

Hoping it comes down.

Generally they greenlight movies with tax incentives considered so...are you sure?

Just now, Krissykins said:

Alice 2 is going to open to $40M US 4 day. The original did $116M 3 day.

That's all anyone needs to know.

Warcraft could still lose money. It'll only get 25% of China grosses. Net cost is over $320M with marketing.

Warcraft is reportedly doing huge in Europe, had the best opening of the year in Germany.