Kevin Bacon

BLAIR WITCH | Sequel to THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT | 9/16/16 | The Blair Witch returns as The Blair "Blair Witch" Witch

Boo at that RT Score! It seems that it won't be the acclaimed shamsh that we all thought. :( 

It is exactly another Evil Dead situation, strong buzz before the release and mixed response once that it is released, I just hope it will have enough buzz to have a big OW.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bishop54 said:

61% RT score now, yup I'll be waiting for this to hit a torrent site.

Maybe we are getting spoiled by all the acclaimed horror movies over the past few years, but 61% isn't bad, especially when every review is directly comparing this sequel to the original. High standards to live up to. Plus, while the original received great reviews, its also probably the most divisive horror movie ever made, so in a way these mixed reviews are expected. But even most of the negative reviews admit the film is scary. I can't wait to see it in the best possible quality. (For what it's worth...I bet something like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre would have scored closer to a 50% had RT been around back then. A low score for a scary horror movie isn't the end of the world, though it is disappointing, especially given the hype leading up to this film's release.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

So sad that you guys care about reviews.

The thing that concerns me is that many say nothing freaking happens until the last 10 minutes or so.

That's a very different take than those first horror movie site reviews that kept saying it was the scariest movie ever from the opening to the ending.

Makes you wonder if those reviews were on the up and up and not just bought and paid for.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gumby said:

The thing that concerns me is that many say nothing freaking happens until the last 10 minutes or so.

That's a very different take than those first horror movie site reviews that kept saying it was the scariest movie ever from the opening to the ending.

Makes you wonder if those reviews were on the up and up and not just bought and paid for.

They were so obviously bought. The reviews all came from horror sites who blew their load at the opportunity to review a film a month or two before anyone else. Brad Miska's review in particular makes me wonder if we were watching the same film.

Out of curiosity I checked out the BO history from the previous 2 films. Those Blair 2 legs, now that *is* toxic WOM. Getting a sub 2.0 multiplier back in 2000 is no mean feat!

Movie Title (click title to view) Studio Lifetime Gross /Theaters Opening / Theaters Release Links
MV5BY2YzNzg1YTAtMjU4MC00OWU5LWFiNjAtZmI0
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Art. $26,437,094 3,320 $13,223,887 3,317 10/27/2000

I remember that film bombing put a halt to all the Blair Witch "shared universe" Artisan was concocting. Books, videogames, YA novels (really), a proposed TV series...

And know what? I saw it on opening weekend.

Edited by Celedhring

Of all genres, horror should be the last one that u listen to critics about. Horror is not something they seem to get or understand.  If you listened to critics Babadook would be the best horror film ever made.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theultimatebiu said:

Weird you say this as.............

tumblr_nbipn2Gc971rrx588o1_500.gif

Not weird at all. The early revirws came from Fangoria and Dread Central..you know...publicstions that actually understand horror. Not Peter Travers and Geoff Pevere, guys who dont look for the same things in horror i do.

2 hours ago, Gumby said:

Oh my God.

2 hours ago, ainsleyb said:

They were so obviously bought. The reviews all came from horror sites who blew their load at the opportunity to review a film a month or two before anyone else. Brad Miska's review in particular makes me wonder if we were watching the same film.

I've been suspecting for awhile that there is something going on with horror sites. I don't know if they are being bought or not but I suspect that they become good friends with certain people (IE Adam Wingard, Mike Flanigan), if that person does something bad, the sites are still going to suck their dicks and praise the movie.

Hell, Dread Central did a whole article complaining about people who think the new Hellraiser film looks terrible. The last Hellraiser film was a cheap, rushed piece of shit that was clearly only made to keep the rights. The new one looks like they are doing the same thing. Instead of putting time and effort into the movie, Hell, they didn't even address the rushed fact, they just get their old buddies at Dread Central to write an article attacking the fans who don't want to get burned again.

I don't think these sites are trustworthy any more. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I've been suspecting for awhile that there is something going on with horror sites. I don't know if they are being bought or not but I suspect that they become good friends with certain people (IE Adam Wingard, Mike Flanigan), if that person does something bad, the sites are still going to suck their dicks and praise the movie.

Hell, Dread Central did a whole article complaining about people who think the new Hellraiser film looks terrible. The last Hellraiser film was a cheap, rushed piece of shit that was clearly only made to keep the rights. The new one looks like they are doing the same thing. Instead of putting time and effort into the movie, Hell, they didn't even address the rushed fact, they just get their old buddies at Dread Central to write an article attacking the fans who don't want to get burned again.

I don't think these sites are trustworthy any more. 

The end of Brad Miska's review even has a disclaimer stating that Bloody Disgusting produced VHS 1 & 2, of course they were going to hype up one of their buddies films. 

55 minutes ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

Not weird at all. The early revirws came from Fangoria and Dread Central..you know...publicstions that actually understand horror. Not Peter Travers and Geoff Pevere, guys who dont look for the same things in horror i do.

There's a difference between understanding horror and wanting to get your name on a poster to drum up attention for your site. All they had to do was ask a couple of guys at horror sites to give their movie a glowing review and promise that their quotes would feature on the poster and in the trailers in the months coming up to the release.

If anyone comes out of Blair Witch and agrees with comments like "game changer for the horror genre" and "one of the scariest movies ever made" then I would seriously doubt how well that person knows the horror genre. I went to see Don't Breathe beforehand and that has more tense scenes than Blair Witch and it isn't even an all out horror movie.

• Like 2