Kevin Bacon

BLAIR WITCH | Sequel to THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT | 9/16/16 | The Blair Witch returns as The Blair "Blair Witch" Witch

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

Out of curiosity I checked out the BO history from the previous 2 films. Those Blair 2 legs, now that *is* toxic WOM. Getting a sub 2.0 multiplier back in 2000 is no mean feat!

Movie Title (click title to view) Studio Lifetime Gross /Theaters Opening / Theaters Release Links
MV5BY2YzNzg1YTAtMjU4MC00OWU5LWFiNjAtZmI0
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Art. $26,437,094 3,320 $13,223,887 3,317 10/27/2000

I remember that film bombing put a halt to all the Blair Witch "shared universe" Artisan was concocting. Books, videogames, YA novels (really), a proposed TV series...

And know what? I saw it on opening weekend.

Book of Shadows is one of the most godawful sequels ever. A total slap in the face to the original, and I say that as someone who didn't really like The Blair Witch Project when it came out and still don't.

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

Out of curiosity I checked out the BO history from the previous 2 films. Those Blair 2 legs, now that *is* toxic WOM. Getting a sub 2.0 multiplier back in 2000 is no mean feat!

Movie Title (click title to view) Studio Lifetime Gross /Theaters Opening / Theaters Release Links
MV5BY2YzNzg1YTAtMjU4MC00OWU5LWFiNjAtZmI0
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Art. $26,437,094 3,320 $13,223,887 3,317 10/27/2000

I remember that film bombing put a halt to all the Blair Witch "shared universe" Artisan was concocting. Books, videogames, YA novels (really), a proposed TV series...

And know what? I saw it on opening weekend.

I am guessing this movie ignores that one 

1 hour ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

Of all genres, horror should be the last one that u listen to critics about. Horror is not something they seem to get or understand.  If you listened to critics Babadook would be the best horror film ever made.

Well, considering every single horror film this summer that people gave damn about (TC2, LO, Shallows, DB) was certified fresh, I think it's reasonable that there is concern. That, and Wingard/Barrett are critical darlings.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I've been suspecting for awhile that there is something going on with horror sites. I don't know if they are being bought or not but I suspect that they become good friends with certain people (IE Adam Wingard, Mike Flanigan), if that person does something bad, the sites are still going to suck their dicks and praise the movie.

Hell, Dread Central did a whole article complaining about people who think the new Hellraiser film looks terrible. The last Hellraiser film was a cheap, rushed piece of shit that was clearly only made to keep the rights. The new one looks like they are doing the same thing. Instead of putting time and effort into the movie, Hell, they didn't even address the rushed fact, they just get their old buddies at Dread Central to write an article attacking the fans who don't want to get burned again.

I don't think these sites are trustworthy any more. 

To top it all off, collider nightmares is slowly turning into a horror movie /tv show propaganda machine. The host and others on the panel of the show personally know many young indie/horror filmmakers, so they keep hyping those directors and their horror flicks even if they are subpar. But I like their discussions and once in a while someone on that show suggests a genuinely good horror movie. I hope they cut down on overhyping directors they know and their films.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ainsleyb said:

There's a difference between understanding horror and wanting to get your name on a poster to drum up attention for your site. All they had to do was ask a couple of guys at horror sites to give their movie a glowing review and promise that their quotes would feature on the poster and in the trailers in the months coming up to the release.

I'm not one to accuse anyone without evidence but the core selling point of the movie has been these 'AMAZING' reviews. I've seen TV spots and posters with these reviews plastered all over, sometimes in bigger font size than the actual title of the movie.

Edited by theultimatebiu

The Guest, from the same team, is a much more terifying and thrilling movie than this movie.

Now we know why this got a title change. They knew they had a subpar product on hand and original horror films sometimes struggle to do well unless they get good to excellent reviews. They slapped the title of Blair Witch as it was kinda similar to that, did some reshoots and boom in the hopes that the brand name will help it become a profitable venure.

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

The Guest, from the same team, is a much more terifying and thrilling movie than this movie.

Now we know why this got a title change. They knew they had a subpar product on hand and original horror films sometimes struggle to do well unless they get good to excellent reviews. They slapped the title of Blair Witch as it was kinda similar to that, did some reshoots and boom in the hopes that the brand name will help it become a profitable venure.

BWAHAHAHAHAH WHAT A GREAT THEORY LOL.

They reshoot the whole movie then. 

45 minutes ago, ainsleyb said:

The end of Brad Miska's review even has a disclaimer stating that Bloody Disgusting produced VHS 1 & 2, of course they were going to hype up one of their buddies films. 

There's a difference between understanding horror and wanting to get your name on a poster to drum up attention for your site. All they had to do was ask a couple of guys at horror sites to give their movie a glowing review and promise that their quotes would feature on the poster and in the trailers in the months coming up to the release.

If anyone comes out of Blair Witch and agrees with comments like "game changer for the horror genre" and "one of the scariest movies ever made" then I would seriously doubt how well that person knows the horror genre. I went to see Don't Breathe beforehand and that has more tense scenes than Blair Witch and it isn't even an all out horror movie.

And i thought Dont Breathe was a nice horror film. But very pedestrian.

1 hour ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

Of all genres, horror should be the last one that u listen to critics about. Horror is not something they seem to get or understand.  If you listened to critics Babadook would be the best horror film ever made.

Well....The Babadook is in my opinion easily the scariest, tensest film since Martyrs. As artful in its own way as It Follows and The Witch. The three complete a holy trinity of horror in the past few years. So a lot of the time I do think even normal critics are spot-on when it comes to horror. That said, Martyrs is hardly a critics' darling, but seems to divide both horror lovers as well as critics. So it works both ways, and I do generally agree with you. I really think critics are being too harsh on this one as they are constantly comparing it to the game-changing original rather than just going along for the scary ride. Can't wait to see what you think.

By the way, I just received in the mail a scary bit of viral marketing. I signed up for a darknet newsletter a few weeks ago, and a couple weeks ago somebody named Dark Truth asked me for my address so he can send me some information that he's uncovered and I thought, yeah, ok, why not. So I open this box and there's one of the Blair Witch stick figures, and I freaked out! Also included is what appears to be an article of clothing wrapped in rope, some kind of wooden box with symbols on it that I can't figure out how to open, and a map! Along with a crap-ton of leaves and grass. So I'm hyped.

Edited by LateReg

27 minutes ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

And i thought Dont Breathe was a nice horror film. But very pedestrian.

No idea how you'll feel about this one then. I don't always agree with critics (the Babadook and the witch spring to mind) but this film is the epitome of pedestrian. Some will like it though, it's just underwhelming after two months of the game changer talk.

21 minutes ago, LateReg said:

Well....The Babadook is in my opinion easily the scariest, tensest film since Martyrs. As artful in its own way as It Follows and The Witch. The three complete a holy trinity of horror in the past few years. So a lot of the time I do think even normal critics are spot-on when it comes to horror. That said, Martyrs is hardly a critics' darling, but seems to divide both horror lovers as well as critics. So it works both ways, and I do generally agree with you. I really think critics are being too harsh on this one as they are constantly comparing it to the game-changing original rather than just going along for the scary ride. Can't wait to see what you think.

Babadook imo is everything that is wrong with horror movies today. It's not the least bit scary and it's horrible script. For some reason critics found to be incredible. It's not really a horror film in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

The only horror movies critics get a hard on are pseudo artistic tripe like The Witch.

The absolute worst kind.

The Conjuring and Lights Out are not pseudo artistic tripe lol. 

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Conjuring and Lights Out are not pseudo artistic tripe lol. 

I am pretty sure The Witch had more glowing and passionate reviews than Conjuring 2 and Lights Out.

"Hard on" was the key word from my previous post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am pretty sure The Witch had more glowing and passionate reviews than Conjuring 2 and Lights Out.

"Hard on" was the key word from my previous post.

Still, tons of movies get over the fresh barrier on RT without super praise (Unfriended, Sinister, Oculus, Insidious, Krampus), Blair Witch is sinking hard. :sadben: 

• Like 2