Kevin Bacon

BLAIR WITCH | Sequel to THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT | 9/16/16 | The Blair Witch returns as The Blair "Blair Witch" Witch

It s horrible how they cheat with everything : characters keep filming in the most dangerous or retared situations, the camera conveniently captures everything but I think the worst thing to me is the sound :

Plenty of sound design , some spooky background noises with basses, perfect sounding mix, found footage ?

Sure Jan, sure.

52 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

A DVD costs more than the price of a cinema ticket. 

Depends where at though. Regal isn't all that cheap. AMC is a mixed bag with theaters. But at least with the DVD you can keep it. Blair Witch is a film I"ll see one day but not right away.

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

It s horrible how they cheat with everything : characters keep filming in the most dangerous or retared situations, the camera conveniently captures everything but I think the worst thing to me is the sound :

Plenty of sound design , some spooky background noises with basses, perfect sounding mix, found footage ?

Sure Jan, sure.

I think the go pro headsets really took care of any gripes with characters still recording in this movie. I didn't have one.

That said I also agree with one of the above posters. Even if this wasn't found footage, I think they would have shot it the same exact way. And I think how it's shot is amazing. Wingard et al really tap into pure nerve shredding viscera via the camera movements and the overall way the inescapable nighttime looks. And for better or worse given the found footage subgenre, the sound design ends up playing a large role in achieving that effect, especially due to the characters' screams. That was my experience anyway.

Edited by LateReg

On 9/15/2016 at 6:13 PM, Kevin Bacon said:

Goddammit, I knew I was right to be disappointed they were making a Blair Witch sequel. And on deck for them, Death Note and I Saw the Devil. I really hope they aren't two more wastes of talent. It'd be a real shame for such a promising career to be derailed by a string of unneeded adaptations. 

I have faith that they can do I Saw the Devil justice. Death Note is a total mystery to me though. Has there ever been a great North American live-action Manga adaptation? 

Huh?! They're making a live adaption Death Note movie from the anime/manga??? I'm not sure how I feel about this......

22 minutes ago, Cookson said:

The movie isn't THAT bad. It really expands on the mythology.. 

I thought the same, but then I remembered that a lot of the mythology was not explored in The Blair Witch Project or Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. Much of the meat about the legend was explored in spin-off material such as books and a few video games---things that aren't as readily available anymore as they were 16 years ago.

Edited by NoobSaibot

54 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

I thought the same, but then I remembered that a lot of the mythology was not explored in The Blair Witch Project or Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. Much of the meat about the legend was explored in spin-off material such as books and a few video games---things that aren't as readily available anymore as they were 16 years ago.

I was 10 when TBWP came out and could tell the witch was doing more than just loring them to the house. Them following their compass and ending in the same area is a give away. Then they follow the river and somehow end up in the same area. It's there, but you get the definite answers in this new movie... Heather did know how to use the map/compass, it was the witch playing mind games. You get answers to the first, while they definitely add more to what the witch can do.. like the time fuckery. 

30 minutes ago, Cookson said:

I was 10 when TBWP came out and could tell the witch was doing more than just loring them to the house. Them following their compass and ending in the same area is a give away. Then they follow the river and somehow end up in the same area. It's there, but you get the definite answers in this new movie... Heather did know how to use the map/compass, it was the witch playing mind games. You get answers to the first, while they definitely add more to what the witch can do.. like the time fuckery. 

Yeah, but a number of people who were leaving the theater when I attended a showing had questions such as "Who is

Spoiler

Rustin Parr

?" Unfortunately, in none of the movies is it pointed out that according to the lore, 

Spoiler

Rustin Parr was responsible for the deaths of seven children ("the Burkittsville Seven") while one other child he had abducted (Kyle Brody) was forced to face a corner as each child was killed. It's an important element of the story that I'm not sure many knew, and that's because it was explained in a couple of companion movies, explored in some books, and explained in the first Blair Witch Project video game. The character Lane mentions him in Blair Witch (notably in the climax), but the crimes that Parr committed and the Witch's involvement are never explored.

This not only would have given people an insight into what the Blair Witch was said to be doing throughout the history of the myth, but it also clarifies the ending of The Blair Witch Project, when 

Spoiler

Michael is facing a corner while Heather is screaming and drops the camera---she is murdered, just like the "Burkittsville Seven" were and the cycle had resumed.

But because this chunk of story wasn't included in the movies, some were left scratching their heads about it. Not everyone goes out of their way to look up spin off titles or look this stuff up on the Internet unless they care enough to do so.

Edited by NoobSaibot

I could be wrong, but Parr and the 7 children were talked about in the first film. It's there already. Now, I guess maybe Michael from the first film got so scared he went into the corner(like James and his friend in this new movie)..... Witch kills Heather and eventually Michael like in this new movie.

See, I disagree with the "it's the same movie!" complaints. 

Spoiler

It definitely followed the same structure and the plot had the same beats (go into the woods > back story exposition > camping > they go in a circle > get lost > end up at the house), but they introduced so much new stuff to the mythology that I found it interesting. The time loop stuff was really cool (how only a day had passed for the main group but it was 5 days for Talia and Lane; how it was permanently night;how the tape they find at the beginning is actually from the end of the movie, etc), as was how the witch could manipulate the forest (moving things around, etc). The voodoo elements of the stick figures and the witch controlling Lane was also cool (and judging by his beard, he'd been there for months/years), and I liked the deeper explanation of the "get in the corner" stuff. And more importantly, s**t actually happened throughout the entire movie. It wasn't them just wandering like the first.

The jump scares was dumb and annoying, but also kind of helped keep me on edge, so I guess they served a purpose. And the characters were dumb at the ending, but after everything they'd been through, I can't really fault them for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

See, I disagree with the "it's the same movie!" complaints. 

Hide contents

It definitely followed the same structure and the plot had the same beats (go into the woods > back story exposition > camping > they go in a circle > get lost > end up at the house), but they introduced so much new stuff to the mythology that I found it interesting. The time loop stuff was really cool (how only a day had passed for the main group but it was 5 days for Talia and Lane; how it was permanently night;how the tape they find at the beginning is actually from the end of the movie, etc), as was how the witch could manipulate the forest (moving things around, etc). The voodoo elements of the stick figures and the witch controlling Lane was also cool (and judging by his beard, he'd been there for months/years), and I liked the deeper explanation of the "get in the corner" stuff. And more importantly, s**t actually happened throughout the entire movie. It wasn't them just wandering like the first.

The jump scares was dumb and annoying, but also kind of helped keep me on edge, so I guess they served a purpose. And the characters were dumb at the ending, but after everything they'd been through, I can't really fault them for it.

Spoiler

I didn't get this part. How the hell they're able to see theirself in that tape? They're already dead in the beginning of the movie?

13 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Did you watch it? You was so excited for your first movie experience in America.

Went to see it tonight at AMC in Universal City Walk, nice cinema. Was relieved to see tiered seating and a nice sound system. My local cinema is fancier though ;)

I thought the film was quite good. Nothing compared to the original though. 

I found it way more effective than Lights Out. 

There were only about 10 people in the cinema. Can't work out why this was so ignored, even opening day.