Kevin Bacon

BLAIR WITCH | Sequel to THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT | 9/16/16 | The Blair Witch returns as The Blair "Blair Witch" Witch

And I just noticed on Fandango that September 16 is listed as a "limited" release and won't play anywhere near me. What the hell is this? If I have to wait to see this movie I've been pimping out since it was just The Woods while everyone else raves about it online there will be hell to pay.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kevin Bacon said:

And I just noticed on Fandango that September 16 is listed as a "limited" release and won't play anywhere near me. What the hell is this? If I have to wait to see this movie I've been pimping out since it was just The Woods while everyone else raves about it online there will be hell to pay.

I don't think it'll be limited. It should go wide.

I've been seeing a lot of mediocre praise for this movie over the past week that has me worried. YouTube reviews that only give it a C grade, a bunch in letterboxd giving it the same equivalent star rating, someone on this board who said the movie was merely decent. I hope that comic con hype is true and these are just random people who didn't get what they expected out of the movie. It's Wingard and Barrett after all, I'd be very disappointed if this was actually mediocre after such strong buzz.

22 minutes ago, LateReg said:

I've been seeing a lot of mediocre praise for this movie over the past week that has me worried. YouTube reviews that only give it a C grade, a bunch in letterboxd giving it the same equivalent star rating, someone on this board who said the movie was merely decent. I hope that comic con hype is true and these are just random people who didn't get what they expected out of the movie. It's Wingard and Barrett after all, I'd be very disappointed if this was actually mediocre after such strong buzz.

Well, this could be another Evil Dead situation, strong acclamation months before the release, and mediocre reactions once that it was released, but, as you said, considering the trajectory of Wingard and Barrett, I wouldn't bet on this. 

• Like 1

Horror is so so so subjective. More than any other genre imo. For every positive regular person review of the 1999 Blair Witch there was at least one person who hated it. I'm excited because I know what scares me. This looks like my kind of movie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Well, this could be another Evil Dead situation, strong acclamation months before the release, and mediocre reactions once that it was released, but, as you said, considering the trajectory of Wingard and Barrett, I wouldn't bet on this. 

The Evil Dead remake was fantastic...the GA are losers. :P

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

Horror is so so so subjective. More than any other genre imo. For every positive regular person review of the 1999 Blair Witch there was at least one person who hated it. I'm excited because I know what scares me. This looks like my kind of movie.

That is what I love and hate about horror....mostly hate. Horror films I like never seem to be hits or they open huge and collapse. 

• Like 2

While I don't care what a couple of jamokes on YouTube and message boards have to say when the actual reviews are glowing, I do think this will probably be Wingard and Barrett's lowest rated film since A Horrible Way to Die. Not because I think it won't be as good as their prior output, but because this is their first straight horror film that isn't doused with satire and dark humor. It's a lot easier to get a 90%+ RT rating with a self-aware genre picture than it is a serious horror film, unless it's something that transcends the genre like The Babadook or It Follows. This could be the consensus best horror movie of the year and still end up with a decent portion of mixed reviews. 

I do think it'll be much better than Evil Dead though. That movie was brilliantly directed, but had a pretty thoroughly mediocre script that shouldn't be the case with a Barrett-penned movie. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kevin Bacon said:

While I don't care what a couple of jamokes on YouTube and message boards have to say when the actual reviews are glowing, I do think this will probably be Wingard and Barrett's lowest rated film since A Horrible Way to Die. Not because I think it won't be as good as their prior output, but because this is their first straight horror film that isn't doused with satire and dark humor. It's a lot easier to get a 90%+ RT rating with a self-aware genre picture than it is a serious horror film, unless it's something that transcends the genre like The Babadook or It Follows. This could be the consensus best horror movie of the year and still end up with a decent portion of mixed reviews. 

I do think it'll be much better than Evil Dead though. That movie was brilliantly directed, but had a pretty thoroughly mediocre script that shouldn't be the case with a Barrett-penned movie. 

I did read on letterboxd that this film does have some humor and even some dialogue about the state of horror movies today. So I think the satire may be there.

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Going to 7pm preview in Orlando on Thursday next week.

Can't wait, this is so exciting going to the cinema in the US.

I hope you aren't all on your phones during movies, we're very civil and polite here in the UK, lol.

Good thing it is R...keeps the sub 16 year olds out. They are the most notorious demographic when it comes to phone usage during movies. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

Good thing it is R...keeps the sub 16 year olds out. They are the most notorious demographic when it comes to phone usage during movies. 

Urgh, there's nothing that I hate more while watching a movie than people using a phone, why is so hard to watch something for 1h30? The world will still there when you leave the cinema. 

• Like 1