AniNate

Early Man | Aardman/Nick Park | 2018 | Eddie Redmayne cast as lead

22 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

67 on Metacritic after 7 reviews. With Paddington 2 disappointing at the US box office, sub-Shaun the Sheep numbers seem likely for this.

Was never expecting anything insane from this. Especially with Peter Rabbit opening right before, which I think will do better than most people are expecting.

Going with 6.5/19 for now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

67 on Metacritic after 7 reviews. With Paddington 2 disappointing at the US box office, sub-Shaun the Sheep numbers seem likely for this.

TBH Aardman's target audience is the UK and I think as long as it does well there and does good in Europe and Australia/NZ then it'll make a small profit. The US while important was never going to be a big market as Aardman hasn't cracked $100m since Chicken Run!

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

TBH Aardman's target audience is the UK and I think as long as it does well there and does good in Europe and Australia/NZ then it'll make a small profit. The US while important was never going to be a big market as Aardman hasn't cracked $100m since Chicken Run!

I'm thinking around 100mww, unfortunately stop motion is just not popular, and Aardman doesn't tend to do well outside of the U.K. I think it's possible it will get a best animated feature Oscar nom next year though, which pretty much seems to be the only reason Aardman films get released in NA at this point. 

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm thinking around 100mww, unfortunately stop motion is just not popular, and Aardman doesn't tend to do well outside of the U.K. I think it's possible it will get a best animated feature Oscar nom next year though, which pretty much seems to be the only reason Aardman films get released in NA at this point. 

Shaun did $106m WW, I'm not sure what Studiocanal's expectations are for it but the budget is $50m which is on par with Pirates! The reviews are encouraging and I'm looking forward to it. 

I think after dealing with DreamWorks and Sony, Aardman stopped caring about the US market hence why they signed with a European studio. 

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Shaun did $106m WW, I'm not sure what Studiocanal's expectations are for it but the budget is $50m which is on par with Pirates! The reviews are encouraging and I'm looking forward to it. 

I think after dealing with DreamWorks and Sony, Aardman stopped caring about the US market hence why they signed with a European studio. 

Over 100m WW would probably be their expectations for this, though I'm not sure it would turn a profit with those numbers.

Regarding the studio, I can't say I blame them. They probably don't expect good domestic numbers for Early Man either. 

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Over 100m WW would probably be their expectations for this, though I'm not sure it would turn a profit with those numbers.

Regarding the studio, I can't say I blame them. They probably don't expect good domestic numbers for Early Man either. 

Studiocanal sells the OS rights aside from a handful of countries to recoup the budget much like Lionsgate does. It also has funding from the BFI and Amazon but I think Studiocanal sees Aardman films as a long term investment to build their family slate