Dark 33Legend of the Sith

Multiple Domestic Crowns? Pretty Tough Task....(The Last Jedi makes more history)

2014 Yearly Box Office

No matters how you look at it. American Sniper did $1.3m in 2014, enough to be considered a 2014 film following the usual standard. You can even look at when it was nominated to Oscars... And if you just look at the yearly box office, then MJ1 did $313m in 2014 and it would rank second behind Guardians of the Galaxy ($332m by December 28th). You can not use "nobodyknowswhatargumentis" to support your preferred film.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, lilmac said:

The Batman franchise has set the 2D OW record 4 or 5x. I can't remember which!

@Daxtreme

@Dark 33Legend of the Sith

I believe 5 times. It broke the OW record with Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and The Dark Knight. 2d only went down with The Dark Knight Rises.

5 total. Pretty impressive.

• Like 2

This is a really interesting list and you did a good job assembling the data. I think you are a little confused about what Marvel Phase 2 is though. The Avengers is a Marvel phase 1 movie.

The Marvel Phase 1 movies are all the movies leading up to the Avengers, with the Avengers being the last phase 1 film. Phase 2 is all the movies from Iron Man 3 to Ant-Man. Phase 3 is Captain America: Civil to Infinity War 2. I think you're better off calling the Disney/Marvel films "MCU films" instead of Phase 2 because you're synopsis is clearly talking about the MCU and not limiting itself to only the Marvel phase 2 films.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2016 at 0:39 AM, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

I believe 5 times. It broke the OW record with Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and The Dark Knight. 2d only went down with The Dark Knight Rises.

5 total. Pretty impressive.

^ This!!!

On May 17, 2016 at 1:25 AM, Walt Disney said:

This is a really interesting list and you did a good job assembling the data. I think you are a little confused about what Marvel Phase 2 is though. The Avengers is a Marvel phase 1 movie.

The Marvel Phase 1 movies are all the movies leading up to the Avengers, with the Avengers being the last phase 1 film. Phase 2 is all the movies from Iron Man 3 to Ant-Man. Phase 3 is Captain America: Civil to Infinity War 2. I think you're better off calling the Disney/Marvel films "MCU films" instead of Phase 2 because you're synopsis is clearly talking about the MCU and not limiting itself to only the Marvel phase 2 films.

Thanks, and you are correct in that I'm not sure what all the terminology for the Marvel phases are.

What do you guys think is the best way to classify the Marvel films?

I thought this might be a nice time to bump this thread again..

Rogue One has the chance to make box office history for Star Wars.  If it can defeat Finding Dory for the domestic crown, it will be the first franchise in at least the modern era-if not ever, to win the first back to back yearly crowns.

Edited by Dark 33Legend of the Sith
  • Like 3

On 5/16/2016 at 1:23 AM, JonathanLB said:

If Rogue One can win the year, which will still be a lot closer than last year, Star Wars will almost certainly win 2017 too. That's going to be a tough record to break for any franchise, that's for sure. Not only would a franchise need to release movies 3 years in a row, but then it has to win all 3 years too. No franchise has ever won two years in a row as you noted, so if Rogue One can bridge the gap between 7 and 8 here for the three-year win, it's going to be amazing.