The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Wow....Pixar...I just don't get it.  

Toy Story 3 is almost as schmaltzy as WallE.  It's just not my tempo.  Hopefully all the Pixar films have made their appearance.

Number 29

Apocalypse Now (1979)

54 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 31.8824)

Poster%20-%20Apocalypse%20Now_01.jpg

"We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!"

Number 1 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Tomatometer: 97%

Box Office: 78.78m (269.31m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: At the height of the Vietnam war, experienced soldier and covert operative Captain Benjamin Willard withdraws from a drunken and disheveled state to accept his most daring and secretive mission yet. His objective is to travel down the Nyung river by boat and assassinate a Green Beret Colonel named Kurtz who has gone insane deep within the Jungle, and leads his men and a local tribe as a god on illegal guerrilla missions into enemy territory. As Willard and the crew of a Navy PR boat unaware of his objective embark on their journey from the security of civilization into the untamed depths of the jungle, Willard confronts not only the same horrors and hypocrisy that pushed the level headed Colonel Kurtz over the edge into an abyss of insanity, but the primal violence of human nature and the darkness of his own heart.

Critic Opinion: "It is the French plantation sequence that gives me the most pause. It is long enough, I think, that is distracts from the overall arc of the movie. The river journey sets the rhythm of the film, and too much time on the banks interrupts it (there is the same problem with the feuding families in Huckleberry Finn). Yet the sequence is effective and provoking (despite the inappropriate music during the love scene). It helps me to understand it when Coppola explains that he sees the French like ghosts; I questioned how they had survived in their little enclave, and accept his feeling that their spirits survive as a cautionary specter for the Americans.

Longer or shorter, redux or not, "Apocalypse Now" is one of the central events of my life as a filmgoer. To have it in this beautiful print is a luxury. This new version will make its way to DVD and be welcome there, but the place to see it is in a movie theater, sitting not too far back, your eyes and ears filled with its haunting vision. Now this is a movie." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "Monumental cinema. Coppola's greatest achievement and probably one of the four or five greatest films I've ever seen. Was in awe from the first minute to the last. Oh, and Vittorio Storaro is a God among cinematographers." - Jake Gittes

Personal Comment: We finally break our Pixar streak in order to include one of the great Coppola films, Apocalypse Now.  Apocalypse Now is the 6th movie from the 1970s decade, which doesn't change the ranking any, but it does give the pre-80s movies a shot of at least matching the top decade for the countdown.  There are few films that manage to be so beloved that it becomes blasphemy to say anything against them, and Apocalypse Now is one of those movies.  Apocalypse Now manages to provide entertainment, but then be a sharp criticism of the era it was made in.  The movie is gorgeously taught and intelligently told, there are few movies that are able to match it.

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

3 definitely feels like a retread of 2. 

At the risk of not trying to get into another argument over it (I already did that over on the Finding Dory board), I'll just say this, TS3 definitely has it's similarities and differences with the second one, as does any sequel, yet it doesn't take away from TS3 at all, for me.,

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

"Hey Jim, have you seen Apocalypse now on cable?"

"11 times."

The Wild Life (1984)

Apocalypse Now is one of the greatest films of all time and probably the best war film.  It appears here at about the same spot i have it on my list.

• Like 3

I just can't think of anything as interesting to say about Apocalypse Now. I've seen it and I concur that it's a great movie but all I can do is parrot what a thousand other film buffs have already said. Just doesn't raise the passion (good or bad) like Pixar does.

I've said this before but TS2 is indeed the best of its trilogy.

Also, so Finding Nemo is either the top Pixar on the list or not at all on it? Well I personally think its the best Pixar and infact the very best american animated film ever so it nothing could be better for me than the former. The later would suck bad. 

Also, I just realized it but monsters Inc. Didnt make it on the list? Sad.

On 5/23/2016 at 9:57 PM, The Panda said:

Number 39

Fight Club (1999)

51 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 38.625)

fight_club-poster.jpg

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

Top 10 Placements: 4 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (26, -13), 2013 (18, -21), 2012 (18, -21)

Tomatometer: 79%

Box Office: 37.03m (62.47m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: A ticking-time-bomb insomniac and a slippery soap salesman channel primal male aggression into a shocking new form of therapy. Their concept catches on, with underground "fight clubs" forming in every town, until an eccentric gets in the way and ignites an out-of-control spiral toward oblivion.

Critic Opinion: "Indeed, in today’s gloomy, Palin obsessed media-cracy, a planet where information overload takes the place of rationality or true thought, Fight Club is more of a distant voice that a shouting street preacher. It still resonates in ways Palahnuik and Fincher can only imagine and truly helped redefine a demo in peril. But now, even in a fully fleshed out home video primer, it remains a lesson to be studied and learned, a series of lunatic lectures you either buy into, or berate as being out of touch and troubling. At its core, it can seem like sinew and sweat, testosterone and ‘roid rage rebellion. But inside of each one of these little boys lost is someone who has seen the systematic re-sensitizing of the father figure turn the powerful into the pathetic. As Tyler Durden says during one of the movie’s most memorable scenes, “If our father is our basis for God, and our fathers abandoned us, then what does that tell you about God?” In Fincher’s effective masterpiece, the answer is on every single frame. It’s up to you to find it." - Bill Gibron

User Opinion: "One of the best movies ever made and definitely Top 5 all time for me. Thrilling, engaging, mesmerising and fearless. That's pretty much what Fight Club is. And you can't help but notice how some of the ideas the film revolves around are just as fitting for today's society as they were back then. Maybe even more so.

It also displays one of the, if not the most memorable character ever created by Hollywood. Pitt's Tyler Durden is complex and charming and irresistible in that way that you cheer for him as hard as you can even if he's supposedly the bad guy at some point.

And then the movie ends and it leaves you wonder: What if...?" - James 

Personal Comment: I'll say, any pre-2000 movie (even if only by a single year) that manages to make James like it (as well as Lisa at that), and you know have something somewhat special, and Fight Club pulls off that something special.  Fight Club is the 13th movie from the 90s, tying the decade with the 2010s for the most movies of any decade on our countdown.  David Fincher's final appearance on our list is something of a fan favorite.  Fight Club never hit it big with the critics, nor did it score well with rewards, or did it make much more than a few bucks at the box office, but it has still somehow landed itself a place among talk about cinematic masterpieces and movies that stand the test of time.  The film manages to be poignant about the future, and it manages to be endlessly quotable, but have quotes that make you sit back for a moment and think.  Fight Club is the pure definition of a cult classic.

Does this mean trainspotting didn't make the top 100??! :unsure:

18 hours ago, Baumer said:

Allow me to explain my Jurassic Park vs JW thing.

I liked Jurassic Park a lot.  It was great fun and Malcolm stole the show for the human side.  I gave that film 8.5/10

JW is just fun on every level.  Pratt is a bad ass protagonist and I loved the dynamic between him and Howard.  The dinosaurs in this were much more exciting that they were in JP and the end battle, starting with the Raptors following Pratt on the motorcycle, is just too awesome for words.  I loved JW.  And therefore it is a much better film than JP.

Insane?  Sure, I guess.  But what else is new?

I think I may have like JW better than JP too. :ph34r:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, James said:

Baumer, seriously, your generation is crazy about the old SW movies and most young people today deem those unwatchable and for good reason. It's all a matter of opinion. Like, for me anyone who doesn't like HP is probably not human.

James, it's not just Baumer's generation, I'm like 20 years younger than him and it's my all time favorite movie, my niece and nephews go crazy over star wars, old and new. You're not wrong about it kind of being an american pastime though, it's usually the first action orientated film parents let their children watch, heck my sister's one and a half year old daughter kept wanting to watch TFA becuase she loves Rey.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baumer said:

How can The Dark Knight Rises.....a film with arguably the dumbest script ever written...be considered one of the best of all time?

Because it's hilarious, and just says screw it and lets itself actually be a superhero film unlike it's pretentious predecessors' seriously Bane and Talia al ghul are some of the most entertaining villains ever.  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Because it's hilarious, and just says screw it and lets itself actually be a superhero film unlike it's pretentious predecessors' seriously Bane and Talia al ghul are some of the most entertaining villains ever.  :lol:

And every cop in the city goes under ground.

EVERY SINGLE ONE

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Number 30

Toy Story 3 (2010)

54 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 37.25)

toy_story_three_ver29.jpg

"Mi nave espacial? Encontraste? Excelente!"

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (13, -17), 2013 (33, +3), 2012 (67, +37)

Tomatometer: 99%

Box Office:  415m (447.89m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars, including a nomination for Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Woody, Buzz and the whole gang are back. As their owner Andy prepares to depart for college, his loyal toys find themselves in daycare where untamed tots with their sticky little fingers do not play nice. So, it's all for one and one for all as they join Barbie's counterpart Ken, a thespian hedgehog named Mr. Pricklepants and a pink, strawberry-scented teddy bear called Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear to plan their great escape.

Critic Opinion: "It might seem at first glance that Toy Story 3 is merely riffing on the same aforementioned theme already nailed in Toy Story 2, including a montage that recalls the heartbreaking "When She Loved Me" sequence. In fact, Toy Story 3 is actually taking that concept—the risk and inherent pain in any intimate relationship—to an even more sophisticated level. As the final 20 minutes of the film play out, screenwriter Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine) spins us through the wrenching landmark moments when family members need to say their goodbyes, and feel the ache of transitions. What continues to astonish about the Pixar films is the way they manage to pair blissful entertainment with the miraculous experience of being human—and in Toy Story 3, that includes the wonderful, awful, vertiginous experience of sharing a home, a history and a heart." - Scott Renshaw

User Opinion: "Greatest animated movie of all-time! Love every second of this movie! Oh, and the end makes me cry every single time I watch it.

I would put it in my top 5 movies of all-time!" - Empire

Personal Comment: Pixar continues their streak on this list with their third movie in a row, as well as their 8th total movie to make the countdown, Toy Story 3.  Toy Story 3 is the 12th animated movie to make the list and it is also the 14th movie from the 2010s, keeping the decade in second place for our decades contest.  I may not personally love Toy Story 3 as much as everyone else, but it has cemented itself as an instant classic right after its release.  Toy Story 3 is a humorous escape story with heart and a tear-jerker ending.

Olg too many Pixar films... I can't belive I'm saying this but maybe even too many animations in general. though I wouldn't mind some of the Pixar ones being replaced with a couple other great ones like..

220px-Movie_poster_mulan.JPG

46f887fe9a70c.jpg600full-the-prince-of-egypt-poster.jpg

the-little-mermaid-movie-poster-1989-102

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

And every cop in the city goes under ground.

EVERY SINGLE ONE

I know, that is retarded. it's hilariously retarded. I just pretend that Gordon is like mental at that part. :lol:

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I actually think TDKR is a legitimately great film, which is part of the reason why it's on my list. 

Don't get me wrong I love it and think it's great too, I just realize that it has some major issues script wise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

Don't get me wrong I love it and think it's great too, I just realize that it has some major issues script wise.

I wouldn't call the script great, but it works. Most of the problems some people seem to have with the film, don't really hugely bug me basically. It's a matter of perspective of course.

• Like 1

Apocalypse Now, incredible war film. In my list.

Both Incredibles and Toy Story 3, great animated films, but not my favorites. Anyway, I can understand why people prefer them instead others.

Groundhog Day ranks #22 in my list. I see at least once a year. Or when I have a bad moment. It always makes me smile (and laugh). It is very similar to It's a wonderful life but, IMO, way better. Amazing film.

WALL-E is one of my favorite animated films. The first half is astonishing. That little robot can make you smile or cry with more conviction than many real actors.

And E.T... it is in my top 10. My childhood film.

• Like 2