The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Number 4

The Godfather (1972)

116 Points (23 Votes, Avg Score 20.43)

TheGodfather-MoviePoster.jpg

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

Number 1 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 7 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 10 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (6, +2), 2013 (16, +12), 2012 (4, --)

Tomatometer: 99%

Box Office: 133.67m (674.79m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 3 Oscars, Including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: When the aging head of a famous crime family decides to transfer his position to one of his subalterns, a series of unfortunate events start happening to the family, and a war begins between all the well-known families leading to insolence, deportation, murder and revenge, and ends with the favorable successor being finally chosen

Critic Opinion: "After the first hurrahs for The Godfather, critical reaction to the movie has snagged on a few key questions. Does it revel in Hollywood gangster melodrama? Does it sentimentalize the Mafia? Does it present the Mob as a metaphor for all business or politics? One of TIME's cinema critics gives his assessment:

"I believe in America."

Those opening words, heard over a black screen, are a testament and a plea—not so much a pledge of allegiance to an adopted country as an obeisance to a shadow government of profound power." - Jay Cocks

User Opinion: "My favorite of all time. Got the restoration blu-ray set for Christmas.I can discuss this movie all day long. The acting is just so superb. One of my favorite of all time scenes that doesn't discussed much is the scene where Vito gets shot and poor Fredo is so inept he can't even get the gun right to shoot back. The acting from John Cazale and the pain and guilt he feels because he couldn't do anything to help his father really gets to me. It's a small thing and would get un noticed but that's just how great the story and acting is from all the players." - ecstasy

Personal Comment: Coming ahead of its sequel, The Godfather makes its appearance at number 4 on our list, the first time it has been in the top 5 since 2012.  The Godfather is also the 10th movie from the 1970s to make out countdown, moving the decade up in the rankings.  This is also the only franchise in history to score not just one, but two best picture wins, making it one for the record books (along with its massive box office take).  The Godfather is the most brilliant mob movie of our time, and there have been many of them, so its place so high on the countdown is quite revealing at that matter.  There are so many iconic moments buried throughout the films, as well as a score that dwells within your mind for the rest of your life.  Everything within this movie is a class act, from the performances, to the writing, and to the directing.  The Godfather is one of the most powerful movies ever made.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Well, I have to hand it to all of us, collectively. INTERSTELLAR at #7 is just straight-up master trolling. 

(As an aside, I suspect this is what happens when people make lists of whatever they liked, off the top of their head).

terrible_mistake_game_of_thrones.gif

giphy-18.gif

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Holy crap Interstellar was real and almost beat Star Wars!!!!!!

Second best sci-fi movie of all time? :jeb!:

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Holy crap Interstellar was real and almost beat Star Wars!!!!!!

Second best sci-fi movie of all time? :jeb!:

Well Interstellar is actually far better than Star Wars

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Well Interstellar is actually far better than Star Wars

Ethan, I will goddamn slap you with my pimp hand.

• Like 6

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Its okay the lord knows I'm a loyal follower.

Unlike some people *cough* Pink *cough*

I support you in this venture.

I mean Star Wars is better but I'm liking the reactions.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Star Wars (episode 4 that is) is okay. C+/B- for me

Empire on the other hand .... Whooof 

slap-o.gif

• Like 7

While Interstellar being on here is trolling, Interstellar really is a great film that easily made my list (though not seventh, and not Nolan's best). And yes, it is much better than any of the Star Wars films that range from bad to average, and which didn't come anywhere near my list.