The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Huh, well I'll be!

There's only one non-MCU Marvel movie, no way it isn't Spider-Man 2

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Huh, well I'll be!

There's only one non-MCU Marvel movie, no way it isn't Spider-Man 2

If it isn't Spiderman 2 I'm gonna have some people's heads on sticks

Number 91

Raging Bull (1980)

27 Points (10 Votes, Avg Score 43.7)

Raging_Bull_poster.jpg

"You didn't get me down, Ray."

Top 10 Placements: 2

Change in Ranking from Previous Years: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 97%

Box Office: 23.38m (74.4m)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars, including Best Actor for Robert De Niro

IMDb Synopsis: When Jake LaMotta steps into a boxing ring and obliterates his opponent, he's a prizefighter. But when he treats his family and friends the same way, he's a ticking time bomb, ready to go off at any moment. Though LaMotta wants his family's love, something always seems to come between them. Perhaps it's his violent bouts of paranoia and jealousy. This kind of rage helped make him a champ, but in real life, he winds up in the ring alone.

Critic Opinion: "There are lots of points on which one might quibble. Jake's rehabilitation after being barred from fighting is glossed over too quickly to make much realistic sense. The entire film is played at such high pitch it may well exhaust audiences that don't come prepared. And, at the heart of the film, there is the mystery of Jake himself, but that is what separates ''Raging Bull'' from all other fight movies, in fact, from most movies about anything. ''Raging Bull'' is an achievement." - Vincent Canby

User Opinion: "DeNiro's performance is undoubtedly the movie, but I also love Joe Pesci lot in this.I think it's a great movie, one of Scorsese's bests. Gripping and honest, with great acting performances all around.There are many good and memorable scenes in the movie, but my favorite gotta be the ending scene when Jake was doing his monologue and pep talking before going on stage. The manner, the delivery of lines are perfect. Robert DeNiro is really a one of a kind actor." - Sam

Personal Comment: Raging Bull marks the third 80s film to make the list and Scorsese's first entry on the list (he'll have a few more to come).  The movie is often viewed as the highlight of De Niro's acting career and Martin Scorsese in his prime.  This is a boxing classic that is often forgotten in the shadow of another all-time famous boxing movie, as shown by the fact that this is the first time Raging Bull has appeared on a BOT Top 100 list.  Raging Bull is a powerfully acted landmark of a movie.

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Is there going to be a master list of the movies somewhere so we can skip all of the shitposting?

The list is currently:

100. The Big Lebowski

99. No Country for Old Men

98. Magnolia

97. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

96. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

95. Ghostbusters

94. Do the Right Thing

93. Her

92. Captain America: Civil War

91. Raging Bull

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Is there going to be a master list of the movies somewhere so we can skip all of the shitposting?

position film year
100 The Big Lebowski 1998
99 No Country For Old Men 2007
98 Magnolia 1999
97 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 2011
96 Captain America: Winters Soldier 2014
95 Ghostbusters 1984
94 Do The Right Thing 1989
93 Her 2013
92 Captain America: Civil War 2016
91 Raging Bull 1980
  • Like 5

What if SWXII, Napoleon, James, and CJohn made a coordinated effort and voted BvS as their #1 film to get it into the top 100? :ohmygod:

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4

Number 90

Chinatown (1974)

27 Points (11 Votes, Avg Score 42.7273)

film-noir-chinatown-1974-movie-poster-vi

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 1

Change in Ranking Over the Years: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (48, -52), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 98%

Box Office: 29.2m (133.98m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar for Best Screenplay

IMDb Synopsis: JJ 'Jake' Gittes is a private detective who seems to specialize in matrimonial cases. He is hired by Evelyn Mulwray when she suspects her husband Hollis, builder of the city's water supply system, of having an affair. Gittes does what he does best and photographs him with a young girl but in the ensuing scandal, it seems he was hired by an impersonator and not the real Mrs. Mulwray. When Mr. Mulwray is found dead, Jake is plunged into a complex web of deceit involving murder, incest and municipal corruption all related to the city's water supply.

Critic Opinion: "Chinatown (1974) is even perhaps more powerful second time around. Watching the later scenes between Evelyn and Gittes, knowing what you know, is a heartbreaking experience. Dunaway elicits a performance so complex and emotional it drills deep into the soul.  This is a sumptuous and sometimes draining film, lasting testament to the seventies rejection of greed and authority that would be so excitedly embraced again ten years later. A landmark blend of acting, directing, structure and design, Chinatown is the greatest detective movie ever made." - Christopher Laverty

User Opinion: "One of the greatest films I will ever have the pleasure of seeing. Sheer perfection.  It's my #2 after Pulp Fiction. Occassionally I feel the temptation to move it to #1, but the frankly silly ranking thing notwithstanding, it's really just a magnificent piece of filmmaking.  If there's a clear example of a film that truly benefits from repeated viewings, it's Chinatown. I don't think I had realized the full brilliance of the script until I watched it for the third time." - Jake Gittes

Personal Comment: Chinatown is a staple classic that is often viewed by critics as one of the very best films of all-time, and it's one that can stick with you (and make you re-watch it) many times after you see it for the first time.  This also marks the first 70s film to make our list, as well as Jack Nicholson's first appearance (spoiler, he's going to pop up again).

• Like 18

Civil War? Really?

It's been out only 9 days.

Panda, you really should have just from the start made all 2016 films ineligible since they've barely started to sink in from January, let alone last week.

• Like 9

Number 89

The Shining (1980)

27 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 56.9231 Avg Score)

47877.jpg

"Heeere's Johnny!"

Changes in Rankings Over the Years: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (46, -43), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 89%

Box Office: 44.02m (140.40m)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: 2 Razzie Nominations, Including 1 For Stanley Kubrick for Worst Director (Those Imbeciles!)

IMDb Synopsis: Signing a contract, Jack Torrance, a normal writer and former teacher agrees to take care of a hotel which has a long, violent past that puts everyone in the hotel in a nervous situation. While Jack slowly gets more violent and angry of his life, his son, Danny, tries to use a special talent, the "Shining", to inform the people outside about whatever that is going on in the hotel.

Critic Opinion: "The film's message is simple and bleak: evil exists, has always existed, will always exist, and it's only possible to keep away from it, never to beat it. The cosmic nihilism of this slots in nicely with Kubrick's depiction of cruelty and inhumanity elsewhere in his career, and the things he was best at as a director - methodical framing, lighting, and color; creating self-contained realities operating according to a clear, consistent set of rules; unhurried pacing that encourages the growth of a particular mood - are the things that all the best horror films tend to enjoy. And I am sorry that he only made the one, though of course he only made the one of anything. Still, he was willing to dive into straight-up genre filmmaking, and that's something to be deeply grateful for: many self-conscious Important filmmakers don't like to muddy themselves with disreputable genres and stories. Thankfully, Kubrick had no such restraint: the result is simply one of the best scary movies ever made, one of the best scary movies even imaginable." - Tim Brayton

User Opinion: "Best horror film of all time. I love this movie, it is thrilling, suspenseful, Nicholson does a great job in my opinion it his best performance.  I can't say how much I love this film, it is in my top 10 of all time." - Dexter of Suburbia

Personal Comment: The Shining is the first Kubrick film to show up on our list, as well as the second Nicholson film, and the fourth 80s film (tying it with the 2010s for most films in a single decade so far).  Kubrick is a director whose movies often weren't completely understood or received with universal praise right out the gate.   That shows especially when you take into consideration that this movie scored him Razzie nominations when it was first released.  What's interesting is how groundbreaking his films become when we've looked back on them.  Each one of his films I find raw, challenging, and unconventional in a new way compared to the last.  Kubrick was a pioneer of a filmmaker and it shows in The Shining.

• Like 16

Number 88

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

28 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 57.5)

wolf_of_wall_street.jpg

"Sell me this pen!"

Top 5 Placements: 1

Changes in Rankings Over the Years: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked) 

Tomatometer: 77%

Box Office: 116.9m (125.2m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 5 Oscars, including Best Picture (Plus Leo became BOFFY Winner DiCaprio)

IMDb Synopsis: Jordan Belfort is a Long Island penny stockbroker who served 22 months in prison for defrauding investors in a massive 1990s securities scam that involved widespread corruption on Wall Street and in the corporate banking world, including shoe designer Steve Madden.

Critic Opinion: "It’s as if we were sold a luxurious lifestyle by Belfort himself, one where monogamy and morality is replaced by Quaaludes and greed.
So what then does that say about us as consumers, capitalists, and most importantly, human beings?  The Wolf of Wall Street posits this question subtly but acutely. After the credits roll and the lights begin to brighten, Scorsese – like a true cinematic master – passes the pen to us, not to sell, but to reflect on what we truly value.
Of course, as Belfort proves, the answer to that question varies from person person. We just have to be observant enough to ask it." - Sam Frogoso

User Opinion: "This is not just the best film of the year, it is unquestionably one of the best films I've ever seen.  Every scene, every shot, every performance is about as good as it gets.  Standing out of course are DiCaprio and Hill.  Hill transforms himself in this film but DiCaprio gives the best performance of his career.  He jumped head first into the role and there isn't one moment that you are watching this where you feel like you are watching Leonardo DiCaprio.  What you are seeing on screen is Jordan Belfort.  He is brave, brilliant and fearless.  Snort coke off a hookers breasts?  No problem.  Blow coke into a hookers ass?  He does that.  Give rousing speeches that me, the viewer, want to work for him?  It's in here.  Dance, get naked, party,     crawl around like a baby, cry, show vulnerability, it's all in here.  It is one of, if not the best performance in a film I have ever seen.  DiCaprio is good in everything I have seen him in, but he has taken the extra step here.  He knows Jordan Belfort.  There is a scene where he crawls around on the floor for 10 minutes in a drug induced paralysis and it will go down as not only the scene of the year (along with the cum part in This is the End) but one of the most messed up but brilliant scenes in film history.  When DiCaprio first came on the scene, his talent was easily seen.  Then he did Titanic and became a heart-throb to teenage girls.  But he's never just let loose like this.  Scorcese did it with Pesci and Liotta in Goodfellas and he has done in Wolf with DiCaprio.  He holds nothing back and just goes for it all.  

This is the Goodfellas of the 2000's.  It's created from the same palette that made Goodfellas.  It's long but never boring and it's so entertaining and funny and exhilarating that I hope the 4 hour cut we have heard about does find it's way to the DVD.  I'm not sure yet if this is better than Scorcese's opus, Goodfellas, but it is certainly on par with it.  I don't know if the academy is going to be progressive enough to reward this film with what it deserves, but in time, regardless of the awards, it will be remembered as one of the great films in the annals of film history.  

It has to be said that the movie makes you kind of envious of the lifestyle these guys lead.  Their life is a party.  They make 22 million dollars in three hours and then spend the next 12 hours snorting coke, swallowing queludes, banging the hottest strippers and hookers around, flying in private jets and spending 2 million dollars on bachelor parties.  Their life is a fairy tale and it makes you a little sad that after you leave the theater you have to go back to your 9-5 existence.  This world is full of excess and debauchery but damn it looks like fun.

IMO, this is the best film of the year and it has the best performance of the year and it's not even close.  I understand this will not be a film for everyone's liking but it is undeniably hilarious, expertly directed, crisply edited and beautifully acted.  And Margot Robbie is insanely sexy, insanely sexy." - baumer

Personal Comment: The Wolf of Wall Street is the second Scorsese film to make the list, and it bumps up the 2010s back to the top as the decade with the most movies on our list (so far) with 5 entries.  This was a scandalous movie that once and for all put the nail in the coffin that cinemascore is how you determine a movie's word of mouth and legs (a monumental achievement, and yet still every once in a while people bring the useless thing up).  This also marks Leonardo DiCaprio's first appearance on this list with his BOFFY winning role, Jordan Belfort.

• Like 13