The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

LOL well considering me to have no soul then cause I feel like ET is nothing more than overrated 80s tripe ;) that being said, I can appreciate the film for what it is and for how well crafted it is (I mean it's Spielberg at his near best) but the film never connected to me no matter how many times I saw it as a kid or adult - similar problems that I have with The Princess Bride

Haha, just giving people a hard time.

I just rewatched ET on Saturday and was in the Review the Movie Forum for it, and someone commented that while they didn't love it, it was a movie that they had wished had come out during their childhood.  I thought that is true. ET was the 2nd movie I had ever seen in the theatre and it was incredible seeing it that young. I still view it with the childlike mentality.

Your comment about Spielberg at his best is true.  I commented on the other Forum that with Spielberg and John Williams at peak levels during ET, it was like having Larry Bird and Magic Johnson on the same team in their primes.  Pretty much not fair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

You can find someone who hates anything. That's just literally true. You can even find a knucklehead who thinks that Citizen Kane is an abomination.

Citizen Kane may be a decently made movie, but it's boring as fuck, it may be one of the most overrated films I've ever seen. well that TS3 and Finding Nemo. :)

• Like 2

btw took my nehpews to see Civil War last night, the younger one who is nine is like "it's my second favorite movie" and I'm like, what's your number one? "and he says "Empire Strikes Back" I have trained him well. :D

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Citizen Kane may be a decently made movie, but it's boring as fuck, it may be one of the most overrated films I've ever seen. well that TS3 and Finding Nemo. :)

No we are not the same person......but I love this man!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

LOL well considering me to have no soul then cause I feel like ET is nothing more than overrated 80s tripe ;) that being said, I can appreciate the film for what it is and for how well crafted it is (I mean it's Spielberg at his near best) but the film never connected to me no matter how many times I saw it as a kid or adult - similar problems that I have with The Princess Bride

Was it hard being a ginger as a kid?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

E.T. is so overrated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

You can find someone who hates anything. That's just literally true. You can even find a knucklehead who thinks that Citizen Kane is an abomination.

Their are plenty of films that I might find mediocre, or OK but nothing special. But unlike some people there are very few films that I actively dislike, maybe 2% of films that I see (although I watch films that I am predisposed to like). Citizen Kane is easily one of those, and has a place of honour in my bottom 10 of all time. The other films on this list might be worse in some aspects by having stupid plot lines, obvious plot holes, bad blurry action, bad acting and unfunny jokes. Where Citizen Kane really outshines its fellow films on the list at being terrible at, is that it is just so excruciatingly boring, that I just couldn't care about any of what happened in it. No film has ever given me as strong of a feeling of "I wish I were doing almost anything else rather than watching this film right now" as Citizen Kane did.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 3

Being routinely proclaimed the greatest movie of all time over several decades has done Kane more harm than good. It's great, but no movie should have those impossible expectations placed on it. I was so happy when I sat down to watch it and it basically turned out to be an entertaining drama that still feels more modern than almost any other classic Hollywood movie. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I love LAST CRUSADE... but it's a lightweight RAIDERS.

Very much so - however I have always found it easier to watch and have fun with even if I appreciate Raiders more. 

And this damn thread has taken all my likes and I'm broke till next month lol

• Like 3