The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

So far so good, expecting True Lies and The Abyss to turn up soon. Then Titanic, T2, The Terminator, Aliens and Avatar to be in the top 10.

Hope pulp fiction isn't in the top 10.

Edited by IronJimbo

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

So far so good, expecting True Lies and The Abyss to turn up soon. Then Titanic, T2, The Terminator, Aliens and Avatar to be in the top 10.

Hope pulp fiction isn't in the top 10.

You'll be waiting a loooong time for True Lies The Abyss, Avatar and maybe even Titanic to show up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baumer said:

You'll be waiting a loooong time for True Lies The Abyss, Avatar and maybe even Titanic to show up.

No need to be rude to OP, I'm sure The Panda is working at a good pace.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DAR said:

I will always have a spot in my heart for animation especially hand drawn mainly because I can't draw worth a shit.

That's ok, not everyone can be born talented.

ScBKYcW.jpg

38 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Here @cannastop, check out this thread, especially the films at number two on this page.  And then learn to chill dude....it's all in good fun.

I half expected you to do the well bye Tombstone meme at some point during this tet a tet :P 

10 minutes ago, 75live said:

I half expected you to do the well bye Tombstone meme at some point during this tet a tet :P  

You know me too well.  That was my first thought....but then I remembered that I'm a mod and as a mod I'm not supposed to do those things. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

You know me too well.  That was my first thought....but then I remembered that I'm a mod and as a mod I'm not supposed to do those things. :)

ah yes, the mod rules.  Probably another reason I am not one :P 

• Like 3

Number 98

Magnolia (1999)

26 Points (7 Votes, 30.2857 Avg Score)

magnolia.jpg

"The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.""

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Change From Previous Years: 2014 (91, -7), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 84%

Box Office: 22.5m (35.8m Adjusted)

Highest Level of Award Recognition: Nominated for 3 Oscars, including Best Actor for Tom Cruise

IMDb Synopsis: 24 hours in L.A.; it's raining cats and dogs. Two parallel and intercut stories dramatize men about to die: both are estranged from a grown child, both want to make contact, and neither child wants anything to do with dad. Earl Partridge's son is a charismatic misogynist; Jimmy Gator's daughter is a cokehead and waif. A mild and caring nurse intercedes for Earl, reaching the son; a prayerful and upright beat cop meets the daughter, is attracted to her, and leads her toward a new calm. Meanwhile, guilt consumes Earl's young wife, while two whiz kids, one grown and a loser and the other young and pressured, face their situations. The weather, too, is quirky.

Critic Opinion: "“Magnolia” could have dwindled from memory under the guidance of a director more inclined to show the material in a straightforward manner, but the movie lives on like an imprint in the mind, fascinating and engrossing us with each passing year. I have seen it roughly 15 times over the course of a decade, and each time I find myself peeling back a fresh layer and finding new perspectives that are silently woven within the complex framework of plot, style and characterization. For Anderson to make such a deep film at a relatively young age (28, to be exact) suggests a quality not easily captured by any medium, even the movies. But to direct a masterpiece that grows stronger and more resonating in the passing experience of life is even more elusive, almost celestial. A few have done it through the course of motion picture history – Bergman with “Wild Strawberries,” Fellini with “Amarcord” and Spielberg with “E.T.”, as examples – and in each case the reasoning is simple: here are directors who have been shaped by life’s rough terrain and have much to say about it, but can only reveal the full scope of their voice once we walk the same long mile. As the years pass and we are weathered by universal experiences, the predicaments of Anderson’s characters seem less pathetic and more like the plight of everyone we love and admire." - David Keyes

User Opinion: "An absolute masterpiece. I'm seconding Jack on the incredible "Wise Up" scene, and it's pretty amazing how all of these stories relate on thematic levels that simultaneously deal with regret, life, and the nature of contemporary American society, that the connections go beyond mere coincidences." - Sphagetti

Personal Comment: Magnolia marks the 2nd 90s film to make the countdown, and our first Paul Thomas Anderson film (our first non-Coen Bros film too at that).  I have to admit, I have never seen this movie, so I'm really just talking out of my ass if I say anything that isn't logistical.  The film managed to squeak on the list by a little bit of dedicated love from a few members, and it seems to have gone down as a beloved cult film.  

• Like 14

Number 97

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)

26 Points (9 Votes, Avg Score 45.6667)

2Q==Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows_%E2

"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it."

Top 10 Placements: 2

Changes From Previous Years: 2014 (66, -31), 2013 (84, -13), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 96%

Box Office: 381m (411.75m Adjusted)

Highest Level of Award Recognition: 3 Oscar Nominations

IMDb Synopsis: Harry, Ron, and Hermione continue their quest of finding and destroying the Dark Lord's three remaining Horcruxes, the magical items responsible for his immortality. But as the mystical Deathly Hallows are uncovered, and Voldemort finds out about their mission, the biggest battle begins and life as they know it will never be the same again.

Critic Opinion: "If the Potter franchise had been cooked up in a studio pitch meeting with storyboards and visual-effects demos, it could never have become the generation-defining phenomenon that it is. It captured the imagination of an era like no cultural event since Beatlemania because it stands on a solid million-word foundation created by J.K. Rowling. She put story and character front and center, and when they're succeeding, the Potter films do, too.

For all the movies' dazzle and flash and Hippogriffs, the characters are more vivid than the special effects. It is our emotional involvement with the three-dimensional heroes and villains, sidekicks and background players that draws us back time after time. The final chapter ends with an epilogue that puts a lump in your throat and makes you want to watch them all again from the beginning. That's the definition of a classic." - Colin Covert

User Opinion: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II - one hell of an epic adventure.
Here marks the end of the line, the final adventure of the acclaimed bildungsroman story of Harry Potter. Since 1997 with the publication of the first novel, Harry Potter has been a huge "it-factor" in the international literary and cinematic culture. The movie series launched in 2001 with the widely successful Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Philosopher's Stone). Within a decade, it had become the largest movie franchise of all time, and certainly one of the most impactful. So to see it all come to an end, as the books had four years earlier, was one hell of an experience, and certainly one of bittersweetness.
The final entry in the series is every bit as good as any of the films preceeding it, although it lags a bit behind its immediate predecessor. However, it easily trumps all the films in pure awesomess. It oozes orgasmic epicness in its many battle sequences and duels, although at times it doesn't achieve the level of epic majesty it ought to achieve. But it is not the epic visual feast that makes it a wonderful movie. It is the acting and the story, and here the film registers on many levels as a heartfelt, emotional conclusion to this generation's most provocative movie and literary series.
Fiennes and Rickman dominate their scenes as Voldemort and Snape, respectively, and Maggie Smith surprises with quick wit and charm as McGonagall. Radcliffe fills out his shoes excellently, rising to new heights in his best performance of the franchise as the titular character. And Watson is once more an energetic presence and one of the greatest in the film.
The movie features some of the boldest and most touching scenes of the movie. In particular, The Prince's Tale is the series single greatest moment. Other scenes, like Harry's march to his death and later King's Cross, are among the greatest in the series, making the movie an emotional rollercoaster that brought tears to my eyes. It was sad to finally let go of a series that has had a profound impact on my life and has been an endearing feature of my childhood. It was, in many ways, like finally saying goodbye to my childhood, almost as if this was the last part of my childhood that I needed to say goodbye to. For Harry Potter has been the biggest cultural event in my childhood, and it will always have a place in my heart as a magical adventure to cherish for ages." - The Creator

Personal Comment: Here comes the first blockbuster on our list, and it will not be the last of those to come by a longshot.  Deathly Hallows Part 2 is the climax of the Harry Potter Saga, a movie/book series that captured a generation and in many ways is the cause of the current (and dying) young adult trend.  In many ways this is the most loved of the saga, as it received a universal loving reception from all sorts of places.  You could also say this was Daniel Radcliffe's last moment to shine before he disappeared into nothingness.  RIP to your Movie Star career Radcliffe, you had a good run (even if it was only for one role).

• Like 11