The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

The editing in most of the Action and set pieces of Batman Begins is disastrous, except for the Tumbler scene which is neat.

Nolan was learning at his point.

Edited by The Futurist

Number 59

Die Hard (1988)

40 Points (17 Votes, Avg Score 53.6471)

latest?cb=20141216180049

"Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker."

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (35, -24), 2013 (35, -24), 2012 (61, +2)

Tomatometer: 92%

Box Office: 83.01m (173.29m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 4 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: NYPD cop John McClane goes on a Christmas vacation to visit his wife Holly in Los Angeles where she works for the Nakatomi Corporation. While they are at the Nakatomi headquarters for a Christmas party, a group of bank robbers led by Hans Gruber take control of the building and hold everyone hostage, with the exception of John, while they plan to perform a lucrative heist. Unable to escape and with no immediate police response, John is forced to take matters into his own hands.

Critic Opinion: "DIE HARD is a classic film. Simply put, every single thing works. With a charismatic leading man, an above-average supporting cast, and a great director at the helm – as well as Jan de Bont’s excellent cinematography - this is what a summer blockbuster should look like. It’s no wonder so many other films copied this in terms of changing the way we look at a modern day action hero. I for one am glad Officer John McClane decided to head to the West Coast and joined the party!" - JimmyO

User Opinion: "The most influential movie in Hollywood since Star Wars.
By that I mean just as some movies, see Fifth Element(oh the irony), were marketed as the "best sci fi film since SW" so did Hollywood do with Die Hard. It was that impactful.

Action movies began being pitched and marketed as "Die Hard on a bus", "Die Hard on a boat", "Die Hard in a hockey arena" and so forth. 

I rewatch it at least once a year. " - CaptainCraig

Personal Comment: Die Hard comes in the list as the 9th movie from the 1980s, tying the decade back up with the 2010s as the decade with the most movies on our countdown.  Die Hard is an action movie classic that in many ways spawned and influenced so many of the action movies that followed it.  The movie is also often seen as a Christmas classic, simply because it takes place during Christmas, and hosts a large plethora of fun one liners and iconic scenes.

• Like 19

Number 58

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

41 Points (15 Votes, Avg Score 35.6)

MV5BMTQ2NzkzMDI4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA0

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (76, +18), 2013 (69, +11), 2012 (80, +24)

Tomatometer: 95%

Box Office: 130.74m (266.45m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 5 Oscars, Including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Young FBI agent Clarice Starling is assigned to help find a missing woman to save her from a psychopathic serial killer who skins his victims. Clarice attempts to gain a better insight into the twisted mind of the killer by talking to another psychopath: Hannibal Lecter, who used to be a respected psychiatrist. FBI agent Jack Crawford believes that Lecter, who is also a very powerful and clever mind manipulator, has the answers to their questions and can help locate the killer. However, Clarice must first gain Lecter's confidence before the inmate will give away any information. 

Critic Opinion: "The standard against which all other thrillers are judged, The Silence of the Lambs is no common follow-the-clues, get-the-bad-guy movie. Rather, Lambs is an intensely psychological film, exploring the psyche of both killer and hunter, and the guide on this journey is Dr. Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter (Hopkins).

Few will ever forget Lecter's first appearance. Young FBI Agent Clarice Starling (Foster), walks a gauntlet of criminally insane prisoners to interview him because he may hold the key to solving a series of gruesome murders. When she arrives at the last cell, she finds Lecter waiting for her, the harsh overhead light casting demonic shadows across his face, hollowing his deep-set eyes. He stands motionless, as if locked in the same position for hours, rigid but coiled to strike even from behind the thick plexiglass. Will he will help Starling catch her prey, or is she the prey herself?

The essential conflict of Lambs is not the search for the serial killer on the loose, but Starling vs. Lecter, the serial killer already behind bars. That conflict sets Lambs above all other serial killer thrillers, and its feminist dimensions provide extra depth. In a man’s world, Starling is surrounded by predators. Yet she will prevail in the end, and she will do so without the help of any man. Not by choice, not because she has anything to prove, but because she must." - Carlo Cavagna

User Opinion: "Off the charts A+++. Off course Sir Anthony was brilliant as Hannibal. Excellent performance. And who could forget Buffalo Bill dancing around naked, lol? The writing was brilliant.But the best part of this for me was Jodie Foster aka Agent Starling. As a woman, I love it when women are representing on screen as women and not some super woman. She played the role of a "green" agent to a tee. When she was alone in the house tracking Buffalo Bill I thought I was gonna come out of my skin. She was fukkin' scared but remained calm and kept moving forward. That was some awesome work by Foster. She gets it right. There are only two other female's work in cinema that are on that level of intensity to me. Linda Hamilton in Terminator and Sigourney Weaver in Alien. The way they played their roles put you right there with them as they were going toward the unknown. It's so funny because Meg Ryan was the front runner for Agent Starling and she turned it down. The director did not want Foster and the studio did not want Hopkins so they reached a compromise. Biography Chanenl did a really nice story on the making of the Silence of the Lambs. They just don't make movies like this anymore." - ecstasy

Personal Comment: Silence of the Lambs marks another big horror hit to make our lists, and quite possibly one of the most warmly received and respected horror flicks of all time (all though it would depend on how far you stretch the definition of horror).  Silence of the Lambs is the 6th film from the 1990s to make the list, and it is another one of the best picture winners to make it onto the list.  The movie is one that manages to haunt as well as offer some meaning, and all of which bolstered by one of Jodie Foster's strongest performances in her career.

• Like 18

Number 57

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

41 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 40.5)

latest?cb=20131226131149

"We got a German here who wants to die for his country! Oblige him!"

Top 10 Placements: 1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (70, +13), 2012 (58, +1)

Tomatometer: 89%

Box Office: 120.54m (138.44m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: In Nazi-occupied France, young Jewish refugee Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the slaughter of her family by Colonel Hans Landa. Narrowly escaping with her life, she plots her revenge several years later when German war hero Fredrick Zoller takes a rapid interest in her and arranges an illustrious movie premiere at the theater she now runs. With the promise of every major Nazi officer in attendance, the event catches the attention of the "Basterds", a group of Jewish-American guerrilla soldiers led by the ruthless Lt. Aldo Raine. As the relentless executioners advance and the conspiring young girl's plans are set in motion, their paths will cross for a fateful evening that will shake the very annals of history.

Critic Opinion: "A Tarantino film resists categorization. “Inglourious Basterds” is no more about war than “Pulp Fiction” is about — what the hell is it about? Of course nothing in the movie is possible, except that it’s so bloody entertaining. His actors don’t chew the scenery, but they lick it. He’s a master at bringing performances as far as they can go toward iconographic exaggeration.

After I saw “Inglourious Basterds” at Cannes, although I was writing a daily blog, I resisted giving an immediate opinion about it. I knew Tarantino had made a considerable film, but I wanted it to settle, and to see it again. I’m glad I did. Like a lot of real movies, you relish it more the next time. Immediately after “Pulp Fiction” played at Cannes, QT asked me what I thought. “It’s either the best film of the year or the worst film,” I said. I hardly knew what the hell had happened to me. The answer was: the best film. Tarantino films have a way of growing on you. It’s not enough to see them once." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "Saw this yesterday for the first time. Wow. Of the three Tarantino films I've seen (Pulp and Reservoir being the other two), this was easily the best. Thrilling with a very intriguing plotline aided by a sharp script, this is Tarantino's masterpiece. " - Blankments

Personal Comment: Tarantino finally makes his way onto our countdown with his WW2 piece, Inglourious Basterds.  While there is one other Tarantino film that is often seen as his masterwork, Inglourious Basterds has managed to create a fairly loving audience-base of fans who see it as one of Tarantino's best works.  Inglourious Basterds is the 9th movie from the 2000s decade, having the decade tie with the 80s and 2010s for the decade with the highest amount of movies on the countdown.  

• Like 15

DIE HARD

I saw this once as a kid, then not again until right before Die Hard 5, I went to the marathon. I sat in the theaters at Noon, alone and when I walked out the rush I felt was incredible. Only walking out of TDK freshman year ever gave me that same experience and this was a film 25 years old. Blew me away. Amazing filmmaking, Top 20 movie for me.

• Like 3

Number 56

The Usual Suspects (1995)

43 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 40.3846)

MV5BMzI1MjI5MDQyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE4

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone."

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (24, -32), 2013 (85, +29), 2012 (91, +35)

Tomatometer: 88%

Box Office: 23.34m (46.04m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

Critic Opinion: "There is a reason that movies like "The Usual Suspects" don't come down the pike very often. They take discipline to write (and from the looks of McQuarrie's subsequent output, completely drain the creative juices), steadiness to direct, and restraint to act. Everybody does his part here, which is a rare feat when you think about it. After all, even "Pulp Fiction" had Rosanna Arquette braying annoyingly. By comparison, no one is out of place or out of line here, and that is what makes the final payoff so sweet." - David Medsker

User Opinion: "One of the all time greats." - ChD

Personal Comment: The Usual Suspects comes on the list as another one on the countdown that I actually haven't seen myself, and so I may need to get around to seeing it.  This movie moves the 90s decade up to 7 on the random decade tally.  I don't know much about this movie, but it has gotten its fair share of love on this forum, as well in the film world as a whole.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 13

Number 55

Return of the Jedi (1983)

43 Points (15 Votes, Avg Score 37.8667)

Star+Wars+-+Return+Of+The+Jedi+(1983)+St

"It is unavoidable. It is your destiny. You, like your father, are now mine."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (27, -28), 2013 (43, -12), 2012 (32, -23)

Tomatometer: 80%

Box Office: 252.58m (694.84m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 4 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Darth Vader and the Empire are building a new, indestructible Death Star. Meanwhile, Han Solo has been imprisoned, and Luke Skywalker has sent R2-D2 and C-3PO to try and free him. Princess Leia - disguised as a bounty hunter - and Chewbacca go along as well. The final battle takes place on the moon of Endor, with its natural inhabitants, the Ewoks, lending a hand to the Rebels. Will Darth Vader and the Dark Side overcome the Rebels and take over the universe?

Critic Opinion: ""Jedi," however, is thoroughly touching in its humanism — to his great credit, Lucas invests with wisdom and power the most odd and helpless-looking creatures, making a profound visual statement — and in its wisdom and deep-rooted hope that The Force or the good will prevail.  "Jedi" also features the best acting by all principals in the "Star Wars" series. It is a film that demonstrates how a talented and thoughtful filmmaker still can be the champion of the box office by putting quality first and foremost in his work — both in storyline and in the latest special effects.  While we'll miss the original characters, thankfully George Lucas, a great cinematic force, will always be with us." - Rena Andrews

User Opinion: "The moment Luke enters Jabba's palace you like HE"S A JEDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shfsdhfksdhfsdfususg One of my favorite movie moments ever!

Its flawed no doubt but its a perfect ending to the Star Wars saga. When that john Williams score kicks in and we see Vader burning in the fire I always want to cry. I can go on and on but I don't want to sit here and type for 12 hours so Im done." - Jay Hollywood

Personal Comment: Return of the Jedi marks the first Star Wars film to make the list, because yes, obviously there are a couple more Star Wars movies to come.  The movie also puts the 80s back in the lead of the decade with the most films on the countdown. Often viewed as the lesser sibling of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi closed out the original trilogy with a box office bang (and in the opinion of many including myself, a quality bang as well).  The movie features many of famous scenes from the franchise, as well as fully introducing the Emperor as the big villain in the climatic battle between Luke, The Emperor and Darth Vader that many view as the highlight of the movie.  Despite often being seen as lesser, Return of the Jedi boasts much to stand on its own as part of the Star Wars Legacy.

• Like 19

That is a much earlier appearance for ROTJ than I thought, maybe the other Star Wars won't be quite as high as last time as well. The worst Star wars film of all (including the prequels).

18 hours ago, Baumer said:

There Will Be Boredom

Blade Runner top 100?  Um no

Monty Python and the flesh wound is the most ballsiest comedy ever made

Singing in the Rain is the second best musical ever made next to Rock of Ages

Never seen spirited away

Beside the ridiculous shade at There Will Be BLOOD and  Blade Runner, you fail alone for the Rock Of Ages praise. Suuuuucccks.