The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

The Big Lebowski - Haven't seen it (on the netflix cue)

No Country - meh, have never understood the hype - much like Fury Road I chalk it up to just not being a film for me

Magnolia - another one that is on my netflix cue

Deathly Hallows 2 - a fine film for what it is but shouldn't be on a top 100. If it ends up being the sole Potter film I could understand it as a "catch all" for the series which is an achievement in it's own right.

Those films that barely missed.....

Sound of Music :(:(:(:(:(

Good Will Hunting :(:(:(

• Like 2

Number 96

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

26 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 56.3077)

MV5BMzA2NDkwODAwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODk5 

"Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?"

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 1

Changes From Previous Years: 2014 (78, -18), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 89%

Box Office: 259.77m (267.66m Adjusted)

Highest Level of Awards Recognition: Nominated for 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: For Steve Rogers, awakening after decades of suspended animation involves more than catching up on pop culture; it also means that this old school idealist must face a world of subtler threats and difficult moral complexities. That becomes clear when Director Nick Fury is killed by the mysterious assassin, the Winter Soldier, but not before warning Rogers that SHIELD has been subverted by its enemies. When Rogers acts on Fury's warning to trust no one there, he is branded as a traitor by the organization. Now a fugitive, Captain America must get to the bottom of this deadly mystery with the help of the Black Widow and his new friend, The Falcon. However, the battle will be costly for the Sentinel of Liberty, with Rogers finding enemies where he least expects them while learning that the Winter Soldier looks disturbingly familiar.

Critic Opinion: "While The Avengers might seem like the film all other Marvel films have been building towards, it may be this film that is the natural evolution of all things past. The Avengers was a natural culmination of events, bringing the four central characters together in the same film to battle an invading horde brought forth by actions of its predecessors, but that film directly ties into The Winter Soldier, by establishing public trust in the entity of S.H.I.E.L.D. From there, the writers have the ability to twist those perceptions of heroism into a film that immediately questions everyone’s intentions. They lead to this idea that Captain America, as the natural leader of The Avengers, a perfect human being filled with ideology that helps focus and direct the agency’s activities.

The audience feels a deep connection because of those prior films enabling the ultimate betrayal of this film to sting ever worse. Without its predecessors, Captain America: The Winter Soldier wouldn’t have as much impact as it does, but as Iron Man 3 and Thor 2: The Dark World prove, only Captain America’s films are a natural extension of the universe and doesn’t immediately stand alone from the rest. You could take both of those films and tear them out of the universe and they could partly stand alone. Captain America requires all that’s come before and that’s both challenging and rewarding when executed perfectly as this film was."

User Opinion: "Finally, I have seen a good...nay great stand alone Avengers movie.  The only good movie in this whole universe is Iron Man.  The rest have varied between shit and okay.  But now Captain America Winter Soldier has finally turned out to be better than all the rest.  The story was well done, Romanov is bad ass and still sexy as hell and the action scenes are terrific.  Evans looks like a Mr. Universe contestant now and his fighting style is pretty cool.  I liked seeing him fight George St. Pierre at the beginning, loved the War Games line (Shall we play a game), loved the checklist of things Captain America had to do and loved the Pulp Fiction epitaph on Fury's tombstone." - Baumer

Personal Comment: Here marks the first of (to) many more Marvel movies and comic book movies to come on this list.  I'm obviously not the biggest fan of these Captain America movies so I'll stick to the logistics to avoid demeaning it.  The movie has made a solid impact upon release, and it's become a quick favorite among the fans of the MCU, even to the point where one individual ranked this in his top 5 favorite movies of all time.  However, Marvel has proven they truly have something else on their hands with this franchise, as it's been making gangbucks consistently like nothing else before it.

• Like 13

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It beat Big Lebowski and No Country, I can get pretentious :lol: 

Shit happens as long as The Avengers doesn't end up ahead of Raiders of the Lost Ark again I'll consider this list a win

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nah, CW won't make it this year. The other Marvel movies are Avengers, IM, GOTG, and Spider-Man 2

Not sure about Iron Man. 

I know someone had Civil War at #1 and someone else had it at #11

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mldardy said:

This is already depressing and full of nerd-dom. Harry Potter? Yuck. I guess Hunger Games will make an appearance soon.

Well we are nerds.

• Like 1

Number 95

Ghostbusters (1984)

26 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 56.1429)

ghostbusters-1-1984.jpg

"We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!"

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 1

Changes From Previous Years: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (87, -8)

Tomatometer: 97%

Box Office: 229.24m (584.18m Adjusted)

Highest Level of Awards Recognition: Nominated for 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Three odd-ball scientists get kicked out of their cushy positions at a university in New York City where they studied the occult. They decide to set up shop in an old firehouse and become Ghostbusters, trapping pesky ghosts, spirits, haunts, and poltergeists for money. They wise-crack their way through the city, and stumble upon a gateway to another dimension, one which will release untold evil upon the city. The Ghostbusters are called on to save the Big Apple.

Critic Opinion: "Some of the special effects now seem quite dated but in 1984 they were state of the art. Ghostbusters is a rare example of a big budget summer blockbuster that is also a critics' darling. It has been named to many all time best movie comedy lists over the years and has many quotable lines of dialogue. Perhaps the most famous being Murray's paraphrasing of Julius Caesar, “We came. We saw. We kicked its ass.”  Ghostbusters is quite simply one of the all-time great escapist movie entertainments." - Patrick Nash

User Opinion: "An all-time classic. Do I really need to say anything else?" - Telemachos

Personal Comment: Ghostbusters marks the first 80s film to make our list and the third blockbuster in a row for the countdown.  While all you might hear right now is negative trashing of the upcoming Ghostbusters movie, this one is a beloved comedy that has managed to leave its mark on cinematic history.  I believe Tele summed it up perfectly, it's a classic, is there anything else to say?

• Like 15

The sheer fact that we are members of an online film community that has nothing to do with an actual job is enough to label us nerds lol - let alone quibbling over the placement of films on a top 100 list.

• Like 2