The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

it's a forum dedicated to rooting for films to make the most money. there's no surprise in the choices they were always gonna be super populist. i'm not really disappointed or shocked that Godard or Ozu probably won't crack the top 20.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JohnnY said:

i must admit im really surprised these movies missed the list: rope, the fly, monsters inc, All About Eve, Rosemary's Baby, Oldboy and even though I don't love it, Drive.

but maybe i'm mistaken, could someone post the full list? Plus, does anyone have the threads for previous countdowns? I can't find them.

All About Eve was #10 on my list

Rope is good but lesser Hitchcock for me.

Rosemary's Baby is great but not Top 100 for me but I've seen thousands of movies (pre 21st century :P)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

The absence of foreign movies in this list is quite the heartbreaker though :(

i had 36 foreign movies in my list, 16 were japanese animations, 11 Ghibli

Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's a forum dedicated to rooting for films to make the most money. there's no surprise in the choices they were always gonna be super populist. i'm not really disappointed or shocked that Godard or Ozu probably won't crack the top 20.

Jean Luc Godard is a brilliant moron.

And a disgusting perv that would probably in jail right now if he d tried to pull off the stuff he did until the 80's.

Juliette Binoche knows.

A problem for me is it's a lot easier to "rank" big blockbusters and animated films than it is to do artsy/old films. I acknowledge their cinematic merits but it's rare that one really sticks with me to the point I'd be able to remember it were I asked to rank my 100 favorite films. Room was the only one from the past year that really made an impression.

To wit, when I tried to do a list I consulted IMDB's highest vote-getters as a memory refresher. Inevitably, when you've seen a lot of films you're going to forget something small you only saw once a long time ago.

The only way I can even remotely put together a list is by tracking movies I watch. Obviously, that doesn't go back through my whole viewing life, but I've tried to add most (as I can) through IMDB so at least I have a decent selection to check. I'm sure I've missed a few ones here or there, but it's still a huge help.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Might also be a fear of "third-party" voting, if you will. You think you're wasting your rankings by putting in films you don't expect anyone else to vote for.

I dunno, I take pride in that. :lol: Although honestly my list is very mainstream.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

I dunno, I take pride in that. :lol: Although honestly my list is very mainstream.

But if there's no consensus on what the best "artsy" movies are, it's still going to be a mostly mainstream aggregate.

1 hour ago, DAR said:

Rosemary's Baby I never liked. Same with the Exorcist.  Anything with the Devil just really makes me uneasy.

Challenge yourself and watch This Is the End. It actually toys with the public's view of religion in a fun, thought provoking way.

• Like 1