Jump to content
WrathOfHan

Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) | Feb 7 2020 | No Trolling/Fanboy Wars | Coming to VOD 3/24

Recommended Posts

Knives Out has several digs towards Donald Trump, and various members of the Thrombey family are shown to have a condescending view of immigrants, with one of the characters being a teenage Neo-Nazi troll. If this movie is woke, then it’s fair to say that so is Knives Out. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Knives Out has several digs towards Donald Trump, and various members of the Thrombey family are shown to have a condescending view of immigrants, with one of the characters being a teenage Neo-Nazi troll. If this movie is woke, then it’s fair to say that so is Knives Out. 

was any of that in the marketing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

was any of that in the marketing ?

There were plenty of reviews and articles that made a big deal out of that stuff. Besides, the movie has shown strong repeat viewings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There were plenty of reviews and articles that made a big deal out of that stuff. Besides, the movie has shown strong repeat viewings. 

meh the movie was ok, Logan was pretty political and timely also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

As for BoP, I think we may be in a Scott Pilgrim situation whereby both the makers, critics and online types all misjudge how wide the net is being demographically cast for this type of film simply because they all tend to fit within that demographic and they dont mind something a bit audacious. Its a bit experimental, violent, youth oriented, female heavy, sweary, punk, generational.....one or two of those things is fine but all of them together? Basically my dad loved Captain Marvel,  enjoyed Wonder Woman but no way hed even watch this longer than five minutes. 

TBF Scott Pilgrim wasn't led by a character played by the same actor who also starred in a previous film that did 325M domestic and near 750M WW (without China).

 

I think Robbie and co. seriously miscalculated how much the popularity of Harley Quinn, or at least her interpretation of it, was powered by tweens/teens and the Hot Topic crowd. Hindsight is 20/20 (though some folks like @Cochofles did predict it when the R-rating for the film was first announced a couple years back) but shutting that core demographic out with an R-rating proved to be a fatal decision. 

 

Has there ever been a female-led R-rated movie that's been super successful?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

TBF Scott Pilgrim wasn't led by a character played by the same actor who also starred in a previous film that did 325M domestic and near 750M WW (without China).

 

I think Robbie and co. seriously miscalculated how much the popularity of Harley Quinn, or at least her interpretation of it, was powered by tweens/teens and the Hot Topic crowd. Hindsight is 20/20 (though some folks like @Cochofles did predict it when the R-rating for the film was first announced a couple years back) but shutting that core demographic out with an R-rating proved to be a fatal decision. 

 

Has there ever been a female-led R-rated movie that's been super successful?

 

This SHOULD'VE been the first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

This SHOULD'VE been the first.

LMAO I forgot that 50 Shades existed :D But then again, totally different demographics and kind of franchise so R-rating was perfect. Not so much here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

TBF Scott Pilgrim wasn't led by a character played by the same actor who also starred in a previous film that did 325M domestic and near 750M WW (without China).

 

I think Robbie and co. seriously miscalculated how much the popularity of Harley Quinn, or at least her interpretation of it, was powered by tweens/teens and the Hot Topic crowd. Hindsight is 20/20 (though some folks like @Cochofles did predict it when the R-rating for the film was first announced a couple years back) but shutting that core demographic out with an R-rating proved to be a fatal decision. 

 

Has there ever been a female-led R-rated movie that's been super successful?

Lucy and Sex and the City, seem to be the ones without a male co lead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Has there ever been a female-led R-rated movie that's been super successful?

Alien, Aliens, T2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Has there ever been a female-led R-rated movie that's been super successful?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/mpaa_title_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW&by_mpaa=R

 

For American title, unadjusted

 

Terminator 2

Pretty Woman

Lucy

A Star Is Born

Sex and the city

50 Shades

Wanted

Black Swan

R Evil Final Chapter

BrideMaid

Silence of the Lambs

 

In 1991, 2 of them in the top 5:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-1991

 

Rank Movie Worldwide Box Office Domestic Box Office International Box Office Domestic
Share
1 Terminator 2: Judgment Day $515,392,660 $203,464,105 $311,928,555 39.48%
2 Beauty and the Beast $438,707,031 $206,333,165 $232,373,866 47.03%
3 Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves $390,500,000 $165,493,908 $225,006,092 42.38%
4 Hook $300,854,823 $119,654,823 $181,200,000 39.77%
5 The Silence of the Lambs $275,726,716 $130,726,716 $145,000,000 47.41%

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess from the long, weird title, to the crappy designs/re-imagining of the characters, this went way too far out of its way to be different and edgy and hip, and in doing so feel flat on its face.

 

It sucks, but hopefully WB learns quickly. This movie probably hit the spot for a lot of folks, but if you want to bring in almost the entire lucrative CBM audience, don't make movies like this. Honour the characters and source material, making changes and doing your own thing when necessary.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Lucy and Sex and the City, seem to be the ones without a male co lead

Bridesmaids 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, I still believe Robbie's Harley is a popular character and a big sell. No doubt about it. I think this has everything to do with the actual movie they're us, rather than Robbie and WB overestimating Harley Quinn's popularity. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Cinema Score : B+

RT Verified Audience Score : 85% (1,911 reviews)

 

RT 82% / 6.79 Score (242 reviews)

Top critics 68% / 6.37 Score (41 reviews)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BOP is hardly that woke movie. lol  

it's only those sexist trying to make this as woke movie when nobody outside them see this as woke or feminism movie at all.

 

this movie failed simply because of lack of interest for those characters and bad marketing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, but including T2 in a list of female-led R rated movies is a bit disingenuous.

 

Even if you say Sarah Connor is the PoV character (Id say it was John, but sure) .....look, the film starred the most famous man on the planet at the time. That was clearly its principal selling point.

 

Its not just it being female led and R rated though. Its those things plus being very stylistic, plus being edgy and youth-targeted, plus being led by a sort of bad guy,  and so on....

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the fact that DC doesn’t really care about comics accuracy could also be a reason here....and the fact that they have multiple versions of these characters with the tv shows and all.

 

I mean no one ,even comic fans, would take a look at the poster and recognize that this is a movie featuring Black Canary and Huntress.Which is a shame because the actresses did an amazing job with their limited roles.So when in international markets the title gets translated...

 

fuch the Greek title sound so freaking ridiculous that I could see why the general audience would appear reluctant to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I think the fact that DC doesn’t really care about comics accuracy could also be a reason here....and the fact that they have multiple versions of these characters with the tv shows and all.

 

I mean no one ,even comic fans, would take a look at the poster and recognize that this is a movie featuring Black Canary and Huntress.Which is a shame because the actresses did an amazing job with their limited roles.So when in international markets the title gets translated...

 

fuch the Greek title sound so freaking ridiculous that I could see why the general audience would appear reluctant to check it out.

comic accurasy is not a problem 

 

ps yeah the greek title for endgame sucked too, the greek titles in general suck , γεια 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ban1o said:

lol how is BOP "woke" but Knives Out isn't? The only good character in Knives Out is the latina nurse whose mom is an illegal immigrant. 

 

I don't think either is Woke btw but you are ridiculous. 

The marketing campaign of BoP was just all about women been powerful, man bad, etc. Even Ewan said the film will be a feminist film that explores misogyny. Not into that. Not into anything that preach to me.

Knives Out, yes the character was a latina. So what? They didn't have one single scene implying white people are all bad, men are bad, or shit like that.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew this movie was going to have a tough time, when I watched the trailer and had no interest in seeing it. I will go to see it, because I am a loyal DC/comic book movie fan. The movie comes off as quirky and just plain old weird. In this thread, I wrote that they just should have dumped SS Harley Quinn- like they did with Joker. They could have kept Margot Robbie and just changed the concept. Why not make her look normal appearance wise? Instead, you have a face painted psycho psychiatrist on roller blades, wearing short shorts and a tank too. Silly!

 

I liked the CW Birds of Prey concept much better. 

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.