WrathOfHan

Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) | Feb 7 2020 | No Trolling/Fanboy Wars | Coming to VOD 3/24

This was fun, the whole family enjoyed it. Would love to see more Canary and Huntress in future team up movies, hope that can happen even if this doesn’t get a sequel. 

• Like 2

How would you rate the WOM so far. At first glance the scores seem good but when you look deeper and compare them to other comic book films they seem to slack a little

B+ Cinamascore 

83 RT Verified score

77 all audience score

this film isn't really woke as some people say, feminist sure, but no more than the latest Halloween redo 

Also why was this Rated R. There was only one real bloody scene and had to be less than 8 F bombs. There's really nothing in this movie that a 13 year old or older could not handle.

Edited by Curtis1986

There were less than 10 people in the theater I saw this in. It was pretty dumb. Great action sequences, but still really dumb.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

Deadpool is an exceptional case that should not be used.

Captain America 1 was more $200M than $140M to makeif I remember correctly but in 2011 that was probably a good performance.

With Joker-Aquaman doing so well with very little universe link, giant budget or R-rating in the other case, I am not sure there is any formula conclusion to extract from the last 3 movie.

It was about 50-50 friday night (cinemascore 51%M-49%M studio figure the other way around), it is not particularly men or women not watching it (it play younger among woman)

I guess these movies are expensive to make. Deadpool 2 ($110M), John Wick 3 ($75M).

You would think with little CGI, everything practical, it could be made for something more reasonable.

I meant DC's improved reputation is only 1 year old, post Synder. The 3 movies, have little in common.

1 hour ago, vsaint said:

I guess these movies are expensive to make. Deadpool 2 ($110M), John Wick 3 ($75M).

You would think with little CGI, everything practical, it could be made for something more reasonable.

I meant DC's improved reputation is only 1 year old, post Synder. The 3 movies, have little in common.

They’re not doing a shared universe anymore so it doesn’t matter what they have in common. 

Did you all also hate joker, did you think that movie was also pushing an agenda, I am exhausted by the discourse surrounding this, Warner Didn't even market this like a girl power movie for you all to be so butthurt, and looking at how fragile some of you are maybe they should have. Some of you have no problems when majority of movies have male leads with token female characters but an all women led movie is too much. Should women whine and complain when the next CBM has majority male cast and declare them anti-women, sexist etc but than the narrative would be that SJWs are over sensitive and snowflakes. BOP is just a fun action movie chill.

• Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

How about a PG-13 re-release for BOP before the 4-day weekend. Is it logistically possible?

Edited by a2k

7 hours ago, Warhorse said:

People are either ignorant or in denial if they don't think this movie is woke. When we have the cast going on rants on how this movie was not for men or how misogynist men are and that the villain is extremely sexist, like, how much more evidence do you need that this movie is another in a long line of movies, TV shows and comics that are purely driven by some woke agenda? And for the most part, the audience is sick of it. I'm a woman, and I'm sick of all of this feminist crap. 

What a load of bollocks. They never went on a rant about this movie being not for men. In fact, they mentioned that they hope men will like it in several interviews. They also never said that all men are misogynist. The villain hates women, so what? Since when is the bad guy being bad considered "woke"?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cax16 said:

This was fun, the whole family enjoyed it. Would love to see more Canary and Huntress in future team up movies, hope that can happen even if this doesn’t get a sequel. 

Even before this weekend I had doubts of seeing them again. Hopefully HBO max saves them from purgatory like they did Green Lantern

39 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Even before this weekend I had doubts of seeing them again. Hopefully HBO max saves them from purgatory like they did Green Lantern

That HBO max GL show is gonna be awful though, like every single Berlanti DC project

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

How about a PG-13 re-release for BOP before the 4-day weekend. Is it logistically possible?

I’ve actually read this a few time’s now online and here and tbh after seeing the movie it wouldn’t be to hard to make it pg but I’m not sure WB wants to spend anymore on it.

I liked the movie and can completely respect the vision the film maker/producers had in a mind but I think they’re definitely missing out on money from that younger teenage audience who probably wanna see this but can’t get in. 

I don’t think the R rating is what made the movie come in under tracking or anything, I think a lot of people (myself and WB included) thought Harley was a bigger draw then she actually is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DlAMONDZ said:

You could be right for sure, I’m just interested in seeing more of them. We already know we’ll see Harley again in TSS, so I’d love to see the other ladies pop up somewhere else. 

Edited by cax16

9 hours ago, Warhorse said:

People are either ignorant or in denial if they don't think this movie is woke. When we have the cast going on rants on how this movie was not for men or how misogynist men are and that the villain is extremely sexist, like, how much more evidence do you need that this movie is another in a long line of movies, TV shows and comics that are purely driven by some woke agenda? And for the most part, the audience is sick of it. I'm a woman, and I'm sick of all of this feminist crap. 

Thats because most movies don't really care about being woke to make a difference, they want to be woke because 'woke is so hot right now' so they preach to ride the publicity and hopefully see the box office benefits like Black Panther had. Eventually audiences do get sick of it 

Aliens and T2 were able to be woke without bragging to us about it, why can't all movies do the same? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, telcontar said:

What a load of bollocks. They never went on a rant about this movie being not for men. In fact, they mentioned that they hope men will like it in several interviews. They also never said that all men are misogynist. The villain hates women, so what? Since when is the bad guy being bad considered "woke"?

😂 

29 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I’ve actually read this a few time’s now online and here and tbh after seeing the movie it wouldn’t be to hard to make it pg but I’m not sure WB wants to spend anymore on it.

I liked the movie and can completely respect the vision the film maker/producers had in a mind but I think they’re definitely missing out on money from that younger teenage audience who probably wanna see this but can’t get in. 

I don’t think the R rating is what made the movie come in under tracking or anything, I think a lot of people (myself and WB included) thought Harley was a bigger draw then she actually is. 

Agree with that. When GOTG1 was the only Gamora movie that existed, how much would a Gamora spin-off do before GOTG2 was released? That too without the MCU goodwill that DCEU lacks and with bad reception that SS got compared to GOTG1's great one. Seems pre-mature in hindsight but with a controlled budget there still was room for it. They didn't etch out supporting cast and villains properly in marketing.

• Like 2

If you complain about wokeness when there’s likely none in the first unless gasp getting a POC as a lead or a gasp a majority women cast in a blockbuster, you most likely have some sort of bigotry.

• Like 8

I hope you guys realize that the average person doesn’t sit online and read interviews from actors and actresses for movies that are coming up. The average person gets exposed to a movie by its trailer or its TV spots whether while at the theater, online or watching TV. What part of Birds of Prey trailers made it look “woke” or with a “feminist” agenda? I actually went back and watched the trailers and TV spots but I found nothing. What I did find was bad trailers and TV spots. The same can be said for that Charlie’s Angels reboot. Nothing in that movie’s trailers or marketing made it seem good either. In fact, go back to that movie’s thread and most of us even said that Sony did a terrible job of marketing the film. I could go down a list of female led action movies that failed and pinpoint exactly why they failed but I can assure you the majority of them have nothing to do with being “woke” or being “feminist.” 

I’m not sure when having an all female led action movie translated to being “woke” or being “feminist” but this thought process exists online because I can promise you the average person doesn’t watch trailers and TV spots and jump to that conclusion off the bat. They watch these things and the movie either looks good or it doesn’t. And unfortunately the majority of female action films have looked bad (real bad) then ended up being bad so they suffered at the box office as a result. 

I mean you guys can keep having this “go woke, go broke” conversation but in the end that sentiment isn’t translated over into the real world. Go outside and actually ask people about Birds of Prey and the majority of people will tell you they either never heard of it or that it looks bad. And that’s why the movie is suffering at the box office. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I hope you guys realize that the average person doesn’t sit online and read interviews from actors and actresses for movies that are coming up. The average person gets exposed to a movie by its trailer or its TV spots whether while at the theater, online or watching TV What part of Birds of Prey trailers made it look “woke” or with a “feminist” agenda? I actually went back and watched the trailers and TV spots but I found nothing. What I did find was bad trailers and TV spots. The same can be said for that Charlie’s Angels reboot. Nothing in that movie’s trailers or marketing made it seem good either. In fact, go back to that movie’s thread and most of us even said that Sony did a terrible job of marketing the film. I could go down a list of female led action movies that failed and pinpoint exactly why they failed but I can assure you the majority of them have nothing to do with being “woke” or being “feminist.” 

I’m not sure when having an all female led action movie translated to being “woke” or being “feminist” but this thought process exists online because I can promise you the average person doesn’t watch trailers and TV spots and jump to that conclusion off the bat. They watch these things and the movie either looks good or it doesn’t. And unfortunately the majority of female action films have looked bad (real bad) then ended up being bad so they suffered at the box office as a result. 

I mean you guys can keep having this “go woke, go broke” conversation but in the end that sentiment isn’t translated over into the real world. Go outside and actually ask people about Birds of Prey and the majority of people will tell you they either never heard of it or that it looks bad. And that’s why the movie is suffering at the box office. 

Pretty much this, I saw the movie last night with my family, and brother and his g/f and no one knew anything about any of the so called controversy surrounding this. It’s all online BS. 

• Like 1