WrathOfHan

Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) | Feb 7 2020 | Warner Bros | Cathy Yan directing | NO TROLLING/FANBOY WARS ALLOWED

WB marketing just needs to play it smart through January for this to explode. Drop the new trailer in early Jan, then if they are confident about the quality, drop the review embargo about two weeks before movie release, and then plaster the more glowing critics quotes all over the final tv spots/billboards/posters/digital ads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Call me a grumpy old man, but I would have liked a more traditional look for Black Canary.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Call me a grumpy old man, but I would have liked a more traditional look for Black Canary.

You can just say white.

• Haha 2

Traditional Black Canary= fishnets and leather with her ass hanging out.  

If you were a grumpy old man then you’d be fine with this look since it’s much more conservative than that.

Unless you mean just white. Which is what I think you mean.

• Haha 1

In other news, is it seriously true that the Harley Quinn cartoon made the Joker some straw man misogynist? Does no one else find that to be incredibly lame? Stuff like this is a major reason why I despise the entire concept of Harley Quinn.

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

In other news, is it seriously true that the Harley Quinn cartoon made the Joker some straw man misogynist? Does no one else find that to be incredibly lame? Stuff like this is a major reason why I despise the entire concept of Harley Quinn.

Yet to watch the second episode, but Harley Quinn debut episode >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Todd Phillips' Joker

And no, he's not a "strawman antagonist". Just depicted as being truly, madly, deeply in love with Batman.

They described the entire opening scene:

Spoiler

-The opening scene was wonderful. It's very very colorful.

-Harley was like "Fuck Joker, now I'm independent". The first four minutes consist in Harley Quinn deeply blue by the break up with the Joker and "now I have to break free".

-She hears women talking bad things about her and she thinks "Oh my god, what do I do for people taking me seriously?"

-She thinks in what represents her love with the Joker, she looks at Ace Chemicals, steals a fuel truck and causes an explosion there. Then she thinks "now I'm free" and the movie starts (there is flashbacks on this one).

-Before the scene, we can see Harley erasing her tattoos, cutting her hair. It's a full setting up with her.

-She said that everyone in the auditorium was cheering for Harley and shivered with the scene. She ends saying that it was very very very cool, exciting and promising.

-After the scene they showed a new trailer with the Black Mask on full mask and the Birds meeting each other.

-She says that Cathy said that Gotham is according to Harleys point of view. Everything is. We can see Harley shooting some guy and the blood is yellow and she punches another guy and we can see glitter. But she don't know if it was her accessories or things on Harleys mind.

She said that the film looks pretty original and we can see a loooot of women in there. Margot said that the film is in fact feminist but she asked for the men at the auditorium to participate and scream because the movie is for them too. And they are very happy and proud for their work.

I'm putting it in spoiler just in case, but there is nothing much revelating... just the first 4 minutes of the film.

Edited by belblazer

8 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Man Harley haters are weird like you haven't even seen the damn cartoon to come to this conclusion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

You can just say white.

8 hours ago, Bane Cook said:

Traditional Black Canary= fishnets and leather with her ass hanging out.  

If you were a grumpy old man then you’d be fine with this look since it’s much more conservative than that.

Unless you mean just white. Which is what I think you mean.

LMAO!

@dudalb I'll let you tell them.

11 hours ago, belblazer said:

It won't.

Depends on what your standards are. this is a superhero movie with harley quinn, anything under 200m dom - 500m WW is a flop

1 hour ago, aladdino said:

Depends on what your standards are. this is a superhero movie with harley quinn, anything under 200m dom - 500m WW is a flop

Well since you’re on a box office forum: the standards are purely financial and mathematical. 

$400m wouldn’t be a flop for a film that cost $90m. No matter how you try and spin it. $300m wouldn’t be, either. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Well when he was torching orphanages and blowing up buses full of nuns that was one thing, but  how dare this notoriously evil villain be depicted as a shitty boyfriend.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ithil said:

Well when he was torching orphanages and blowing up buses full of nuns that was one thing, but  how dare this notoriously evil villain be depicted as a shitty boyfriend.

My problem with it isn’t that i somehow think it’s too evil for the Joker or something. I know that the Joker is a monstrous psychopath. I wouldn’t want him to be portrayed any other way. My problem with making him an abusive boyfriend is that it’s a really lame and try hard direction to go in.

The whole point of the Joker is that he’s this unpredictable force of nature. There’s nothing unpredictable about a bad guy who hates women and beats his girlfriend. That’s the most predictable and lazy possible way of conveying how evil he is. Plus, since when is the Joker some superficial charmer who knows how to play with women’s feelings? The idea of him being able to manipulate women into falling in love with him is ridiculous. He’s a homicidal clown, not Ted Bundy. There’s nothing even superficially charming about him. He’s a weirdo clown who is incredibly open about the fact that he’s a psychopath. 

I also don’t understand why the Joker should have a girlfriend to begin with. I always imagined the Joker as being asexual. I don’t want to imagine him having sex. That’s disgusting. 

Edited by WittyUsername

The Joker's been in an abusive relationship with Harley Quinn since HQ was created so I don't understand people being upset by this.

Just now, 4815162342 said:

The Joker's been in an abusive relationship with Harley Quinn since HQ was created so I don't understand people being upset by this.

I’m aware of that. I’ve hated it since the very beginning. As I’ve already stated, I hate Harley Quinn in all her incarnations, including in B:TAS. I hate stories like Mad Love and I hate the idea of the Joker being in a relationship to begin with. 

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Well since you’re on a box office forum: the standards are purely financial and mathematical. 

$400m wouldn’t be a flop for a film that cost $90m. No matter how you try and spin it. $300m wouldn’t be, either. 

so by that logic joker was 2x more succesful than end game 😂

They were both successful, by any reasonable metric.

Joker had a better revenue:budget ratio but that's all academic.