WrathOfHan

Insidious: The Last Key | Jan 5 2018 | Adam Robitel directing, Lin Shaye returning | Trailer is Out Now

Just now, Boxofficerules said:

The distribution on the Insidious movies is weird, why do different company's keep releasing them? 

Filmdistrict went out of business after Chapter 2, so Universal got the domestic rights while Sony has overseas and home video. This time Universal decided to release it under the main banner instead of Focus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

The distribution on the Insidious movies is weird, why do different company's keep releasing them? 

FilmDistrict shut down, so Focus released the 3rd one, and then I assume they wanted a major studio for the 4th one so they got Universal for this one instead.

The whole Focus to Universal swap isn't new. Fifty Shades of Grey was originally going to be Focus but changed to Universal in later trailers, and Atomic Blonde was likely close to being released under the Universal banner based on trailer mix codings.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

From Wikipedia:

On October 2, 2013, it was announced that Peter Schlessel would be replacing James Schamus as CEO of Focus Features effective January 2014, and FilmDistrict was shut down as a distributor. Future FilmDistrict titles will be absorbed and released under Focus Features, the first being That Awkward Moment.[12] FilmDistrict's last film is Paul W. S. Anderson's Pompeii, which the company produced and financed with German-based Constantin Film. TriStar Pictures handled the U.S. distribution. High Top Releasing later co-released Eli Roth's The Green Inferno with Blumhouse Tilt.

What a fall from grace this franchise suffered. Went from breaking opening records to...... being probably a gigantic dumpjob at the beginning of January. Way to go, Insidious. (Unsurprisingly, it lost whatever popularity it had when James Wan left the franchise - and even Wan himself played a part in the diminshing returns due to the suckage of Insidious 2).

Best case scenario: this gets... acceptable wom (kinda like the third one did, if I recall correctly) and does 35-40M.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

I've yet to see a single sale for this on Pulse.

I dont think people are rushing to make sure they get their tickets early for Insidious: The Last Key. As usual with these kinds of movies, walk-ups will drive it.

That being said, I'm going to see this on opening day after work because...why not? I've never been to the theatre to see the first movie that opens the year before. That and I actually wouldn't mind seeing it. I like the series, even if 3 wasn't great.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

This is going under the first Insidious film's OW.

It won't go that low, IMO. I can see it doing 15M OW like The Woman in Black 2.

Lowest I can see is what UW5 and RE6 did last year.