PanaMovie

Beauty and the Beast OS Thread - 759.4M OS - 1.263B WW! - 10th Highest grossing Movie of all-time

HP was/is just a different kind of phenomenon, it's a lot more popular in Europe than Beauty and the Beast.

However, it seems like BatB will gross at least $100m more than DH2 in NA, so unless it performs miserably in big (box office) countries, it's still possible (but then at this point mostly anything is). 

For Germany, can we expect TJB numbers? More/Less? 

It has the same age restrictions (6+ only).

Wdyt?  

Edited by pax

3 minutes ago, pax said:

Any predictions? 

What do you think will pull people into the cinemas? 

More than $30m. Depends on the weather. As soon as the spring arrives with sunny weather, it can kill any film. 
Let's see how the weekend goes, will be very sunny. It should pass the 3m admission mark either way. Easter holidays are coming soon. 

15 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

More than $30m. Depends on the weather. As soon as the spring arrives with sunny weather, it can kill any film. 
Let's see how the weekend goes, will be very sunny. It should pass the 3m admission mark either way. Easter holidays are coming soon. 

I just wondered as TJB source material seems to be a lot more popular than BatB, but yes, Easter might help and there's little else on that will appeal to both kids and adults atm. 

1 hour ago, pax said:

HP was/is just a different kind of phenomenon, it's a lot more popular in Europe than Beauty and the Beast.

However, it seems like BatB will gross at least $100m more than DH2 in NA, so unless it performs miserably in big (box office) countries, it's still possible (but then at this point mostly anything is). 

For Germany, can we expect TJB numbers? More/Less? 

It has the same age restrictions (6+ only).

Wdyt?  

Not necessarily true in Europe. With current ER DH2 would be around 750M OS.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

The Euro currency is much weaker than in 2011 though, same thing for the Pound and the Yen. That makes the comparison pretty hard. And I'm not even talking about Latin America.

Oh I forget the weaker Euro compared to 2011. Thanks for reminding me..

40 minutes ago, druv10 said:

HP being on a different level you mean?

I'm not saying BatB can't gross more than DH2, however, it simply doesn't (seem to) have the same nostalgia factor than in the US over here, while HP has been huge. (HP being huge not necessarily compared to Star Wars, etc. but to BatB.)

I really hope it does well in Europe, though, as I really love the movie! 

Edited by pax

7 hours ago, druv10 said:

Even that is a huge number back when China was far weaker.

And keep in mind that DH2 was NOT the most sucvessful HP movie in admissions.

The first one adjusts to 900m OS and the second one to 800m.

I dont think you will find a franchise pulling that huge numbers consistently in Europe.

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Even that is a huge number back when China was far weaker.

And keep in mind that DH2 was NOT the most sucvessful HP movie in admissions.

The first one adjusts to 900m OS and the second one to 800m.

I dont think you will find a franchise pulling that huge numbers consistently in Europe.

The only franchise which was able to match HP is Middle Earth (LOTR+Hobbit).

And yes, DH2 ranks #3, maybe #4 in admissions among HP films (Globet of Fire was very big too). The real monster was HP1, and HP2 a bit lower.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peludo said:

The only franchise which was able to match HP is Middle Earth (LOTR+Hobbit).

And yes, DH2 ranks #3, maybe #4 in admissions among HP films (Globet of Fire was very big too). The real monster was HP1, and HP2 a bit lower.

Absolutely.

When we are talking about the biggest movie of an actor, we shouldnt be making the mistake to compare with gross.

If Batb makes over DH2, which I dont believe it will, it would be a wrong to believe it was a bigger movie than the first HPs.

10 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Absolutely.

When we are talking about the biggest movie of an actor, we shouldnt be making the mistake to compare with gross.

If Batb makes over DH2, which I dont believe it will, it would be a wrong to believe it was a bigger movie than the first HPs.

I do not have updated data, but to be bigger in admissions that Sorcerer's Stone, a film should probably have to make about Jurassic World numbers.

Going back to the topic, it is hard to reach DH2, but I still think that BatB has a chance. It will depend mainly on the Japanese reception, which is always a wild card. We'll see.

1 hour ago, peludo said:

I do not have updated data, but to be bigger in admissions that Sorcerer's Stone, a film should probably have to make about Jurassic World numbers.

Going back to the topic, it is hard to reach DH2, but I still think that BatB has a chance. It will depend mainly on the Japanese reception, which is always a wild card. We'll see.

Weekend holds are also quite important. If the drop is very good this wknd, hope and expectations will escalate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peludo said:

I just believe that the difference between 1b and 1.3b is much bigger than people think.

It obv has a chance of doing it but with the terrible ER and China not being big, it would need something astonishingly good from Japan to do it. Something near 200m maybe.

800m OS is far from  plain sailing in today's market.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KevinPr said:

Let's see:

DH2:

$124m in Japan

$117m in UK

$78m in Germany

$67m in France

BatB has just opened in Germany, but it's very lower than DH2's German opening.

It also depends the box office performance in Japan, so yeah it's too early to tell.

Batb will gross nearly 150m more in NA.

But the only market from those you mentioned that may come close is Japan.

It may fall 20m behing in UK or more, 45m behind in Germany and 25m behind in France.

Japan will be the wild card where I can see it from falling behind 30m to overgrossing it by 20m or so.

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I just believe that the difference between 1b and 1.3b is much bigger than people think.

It obv has a chance of doing it but with the terrible ER and China not being big, it would need something astonishingly good from Japan to do it. Something near 200m maybe.

800m OS is far from  plain sailing in today's market.  

The difference between 1b and 1.3b is $300m :P

Sure, even with the probable good legs (x3 multiplier), it will still need to make big numbers in Japan to reach DH2. But even if it fails and it "only" makes over 1.2b, with 2011 ER we would be talking about over 1.4b and making just $100m in China. It is a monster.