CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Lin automatically means this project is trash that trashmerica will love.

Watch Hailee Steinfield gets cast as Ariel and Han does a complete 180.

But this’ll likely be a typical Disney remake rehash.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Disney must like what they see of Mary Poppins Returns to offer Marshall another gig.

They saw Pirates 4 and continued to offer him gigs, so I wouldn't consider that a sign of quality.

• Like 1

If they directly adapt the Hans Christian Andersen book (only with a slightly happier tone.... but still having the grim ending and stuff like that), I'm all for this.

Otherwise, it's another Beauty And The Beast in the making - not necessarily a bad movie, but just a soulless and uncharismatic copy paste of an already perfect movie with horrible CGI and lip synching. A lot of nostalgia feels, good production values, a good enough cast...... and that's it.

Oh, who am I kidding, this is Disney. We're getting a copy paste of the original, aren't we? Goddammit, why can't we have more Cinderellas or Jungle Books instead.... you know, movies that actually try to improve on their originals and aren't just bland copy pastes of the exact same thing instead?

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If they directly adapt the Hans Christian Andersen book (only with a slightly happier tone.... but still having the grim ending and stuff like that), I'm all for this.

Otherwise, it's another Beauty And The Beast in the making - not necessarily a bad movie, but just a soulless and uncharismatic copy paste of an already perfect movie with horrible CGI and lip synching. A lot of nostalgia feels, good production values, a good enough cast...... and that's it.

Oh, who am I kidding, this is Disney. We're getting a copy paste of the original, aren't we? Goddammit, why can't we have more Cinderellas or Jungle Books instead.... you know, movies that actually try to improve on their originals and aren't just bland copy pastes of the exact same thing instead?

Wait... what was different about Cinderella??! It seemed like it was mostly exactly the same...

Disney needs to do more Maleficent-like films.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Wait... what was different about Cinderella??! It seemed like it was mostly exactly the same...

Disney needs to do more Maleficent-like films.

It is close to being the same, BUT it has enough small improvements that I feel like it's actually somewhat effective as a remake. It gives us more insight into her backstory, as we take longer to explore her childhood and her parents; it's shown that she suffers with the abuse she gets..... yet doesn't leave the house anyway, so it's not really a change for the best, but it still shows that she is a human and not just a doll figure like in the original; the Cinderella name itself that she gets is given a darker origin as well; and I feel like the relationship between Cinderella and the Prince was waaaayyyyyy more well fleshed out. Hell, the characters in general were way more fleshed out and given humanity to, even the Evil Stepmother. There's also more resolution (i.e. there's some kind of pay-off against the Evil Stepmother, for instance, where there was none in the 1950 movie). 

It's a movie that imo is trying to improve on enough details of the original that it kinda stands on its own, despite the basic story being very much the same. I don't think it's great... as, again, it still has some fundamental flaws in its storytelling, including in the changes it makes, but I accept it just enough. It's.... okayish, I guess. Better than BATB, which is just the exact same movie but with a lot less charisma, poor music and poor CGI. The few small changes it does make.... to me, they didn't do much of anything.

Maleficent sucked, btw. Although I agree that the idea was cool, but..... the execution was pretty stupid. Just saying.

• Like 2

I love Alice in Wonderland, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Maleficent and Beauty and the Beast (personal favorite) so... BRING IT ON, DISNEY!

Also, The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney animated movie, so I hope they don't screw this up.

32 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

If this new movie is going to be another shot for shot remake of the original animated movie, Disney shouldn't bother making it.

Honestly, I think it'd be even more enfuriating if they did that with this movie than with BATB, because, well, BATB '91 is perfect (for what it should be) and there's nothing to be changed about it. They still tried a few small changes, and none of them really worked; and the rest was just a paint by numbers shot-for-shot remake. Again, Cinderella was trying to improve the story, Jungle Book was straight up giving the original film a story (and pulling off a pretty epic technical feat), and even shitfests like Alice and Maleficent were experimenting different directions, both in story and in tone. They sucked in execution because they had no understanding of their originals to begin with and straight up became bad fan movies, but they - just like the other two that didn't suck - felt like they had reasons to exist. BATB, while better than Alice and Maleficent (on the basis that it's a somewhat inoffensive shot-for-shot remake of a perfect film), has no reason to exist apart from cha ching and nostalgia dick jerking.

The Little Mermaid, however, despite having almost as strong popularity and classic status as BATB, DOES have a basis that can be given a remake to. Hell, Ariel herself is a pretty flawed character in the original (and not in a cool way), and a well written remake could do wonders for her image as a character. And if they decide to not be 100% Disney and decide that this generation needs a new message than just same old fairy tale bullshit, they will adapt the HCA book, ending included - without compromising the Disney version entirely, including of course keeping the supporting cast and the music - and straight up say that sometimes, love doesn't have to be kisses, hugs and marriage, but it can simply be truly caring about the life of those you care about most (and in Ariel's case, she'd give up her life to save Eric's). Love isn't just romance and passion - love is to truly and simply desire to give the best to someone else. LM is a movie about risk paying off, and to Ariel, saving the life of someone she deeply loved and cared about made her risk worth it in the end.

It would be a hugely wasted opportunity to just copy paste the original movie anyway, because the original movie, while obviously really good, wasn't as successful or as good as either of the other three Renaissance Disney movies (BATB, Aladdin and The Lion King), which have and will probably, and unfortunately, get the shot-for-shot treatment. BATB has already, and TLK - which shouldn't even exist - has been confirmed to get it (UUUUUUUGH).