CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

On 5/31/2023 at 5:10 PM, jedijake said:

I was actually told on another message forum on a completely different site (a Disney site) that "well, you probably liked the sequel trilogy too". I do, but that's besides the point. That very sentiment that is all around us is what is wrong with the whole culture of entertainment.

S0me of us think the endless recycling of already used materail instead of trying some original material is what is wrong with the culture of entertainment.

• Like 1

Today I learned that Japan's largest IMAX theater, Grand Cinema Sunshine in Toshima Tokyo, is showing The Little Mermaid with English audio and Japanese subtitles.

Kind of surprised but that sounds like a good experience if I went there. I'd be able to enjoy the movie there because I know English of course.

It needs to find some late legs to break even. Can't see it happening at this point. People have to accept the reality that simply it just isn't a great movie. Yes, there're various reasons that it us underperforming, but if it was really good, it would had better WoM and better legs. Can it actually miss WW top 10 for the year?

• Heart 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 hours ago, Eric Prime said:

Halle already out here making an IMPACT. Your faves could never 💅

Just catching a glimpse of MAGATube screenshots can numb my brain in disbelief at the stupidity on display but this particular one was sooo damn funny in its utter shock 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It needs to find some late legs to break even. Can't see it happening at this point. People have to accept the reality that simply it just isn't a great movie. Yes, there're various reasons that it us underperforming, but if it was really good, it would had better WoM and better legs. Can it actually miss WW top 10 for the year?

I know you weren’t a fan of the film, but to keep saying WOM isn’t great is a bit silly. It got an A cinemascore and is having some nice holds. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 2
  • Sad 1

We must think differently of the meaning of great. TLM's legs are 100% not great. I know that speaking the truth sounds like hate for some people. It's a family film, so it is given that it's not gonna collapse. It's having ok to decent holds. I don't get where this great WoM talk is coming from. Overseas it is clearly struggling and domestically it will finish 20-25m off ALADDIN. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Disney ruined their brand by creating D+. That is the reason for the underperformance.

The other slight issue with D+ that WD films don't get the the extra revenue that other films get from the streamers. That obviously applies for Paramount and etc.

3 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Moderation

@The Dark Alfred this concern trolling is no longer amusing. If you continue this hyperbole over this movie and its performance any further, you will leave me with no choice but to give you warning points and a potential threadban.

Respectfully, there is no trolling here. I am merely pointing out facts. How does stating the obvious is considered trolling? You owe me an explanation. I would like to point out that I predicted TLM drops 98% correctly the past weeks. So clearly my points are coming from accuracy. However, if that makes others who are predicting sub 20% drops irritated, I promise, that's not my intention and I will no longer post about TLM in this thread. Have no problem with that at all.

• Like 4

So Echelon Insights apparently published crosstabs on interest in various summer films.

https://echelonin.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/May-2023-Omnibus-Crosstabs-EXTERNAL.pdf

Jumping directly onto the political angle: The "raw" numbers have 29/30% Democratic/democratic leaning support which drops down to 26/27% if you attempt to isolate for non-African-American audiences (46% interest). That comes to 19% GOP leaners.

when you look the year before, both lightyear(!!) and minions didn't show a partisan divergence in interest.

https://echelonin.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/May-2022-Omnibus-External-Crosstabs.pdf 

however 28% of GOP leaners say they're interested in no summer movies versus 19% of democrats. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

On 6/13/2023 at 5:52 PM, The Dark Alfred said:

Respectfully, there is no trolling here. I am merely pointing out facts. How does stating the obvious is considered trolling? You owe me an explanation. I would like to point out that I predicted TLM drops 98% correctly the past weeks. So clearly my points are coming from accuracy. However, if that makes others who are predicting sub 20% drops irritated, I promise, that's not my intention and I will no longer post about TLM in this thread. Have no problem with that at all.

Be careful! You have a different opinion. That’s dangerous honey.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/the-flash-box-office-disappoint-pixar-elemental-flop-1235647927/

Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” rounded out the top five with $11.6 million in its fourth weekend in theaters. The live-action remake has amassed $253 million in North America and $466 million to date, which would have been a good result… had the movie not cost $250 million to produce. At this rate, “The Little Mermaid” is struggling to break even in its theatrical run.

Variety officially declaring this movie a flop, thoughts? Movies involving water are notoriously expensive, so it was always going to be difficult to keep the budget low. So Disney can't blame the budget, they should have known it was never going to be cheap to make a live action TLM. That's also why Moana live action is such a dumbfuck idea. 

57 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/the-flash-box-office-disappoint-pixar-elemental-flop-1235647927/

Variety officially declaring this movie a flop, thoughts? Movies involving water are notoriously expensive, so it was always going to be difficult to keep the budget low. So Disney can't blame the budget, they should have known it was never going to be cheap to make a live action TLM. That's also why Moana live action is such a dumbfuck idea. 

Why would Disney have reasonably assumed a TLM reboot would do worse than Branaugh's Cinderella?

Moana's been absolutely massive on D+ for years. I think there's a larger audience for this and I imagine toy sales will be strong. 

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Moana's been absolutely massive on D+ for years. I think there's a larger audience for this and I imagine toy sales will be strong. 

Honestly... An animated Moana sequel would have been the more financially wise decision.