CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

LOL imagine thinking Beyonce is a bigger movie star than Melissa Mccarthy, good one Ororo Munroe!

Lol at McCarthy being a "movie star"... That was not my point though. It was more so about Beyonce and Will Smith being big names who can create buzz. The news of McCarthy playing Ursula was not met with the same buzz or excitement as even this news about Harry Styles, let alone Beyonce or Will Smith. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Exactly. In translation: Oh no no no, beans spilled too early! damage control! damage control! harry isn't confirmed...til D23. As if they'd be still hunting this late in the game lol.

7 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Here is the article and yes, they are reliable. 

6 hours ago, ban1o said:

Disney is probably waiting until D23 o officially announce 

6 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

With D23 next weekend, it's safe to say the hunt is over. Obviously, Disney isn't going to confirm anything until then. 

these posts...lol..didn't age at all.

27 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

these posts...lol..didn't age at all.

Meh. The original source is usually reliable. They were ones who broke the news about Ariel being a person of color, about Harry and Javier being in talks and I still think they've already chosen an actor that they will officially announce at D23. Not sure how that didn't age well. 

Thank god, now I don't have to care about this movie lol. I already thought disney defeated me by casting my single favourite person in the world to play my favourite disney prince from one of my favourite disney films. Now I can go back trying to ignore this and other live-action remakes' existence. Unless it will turn out actually good in which case I will be happy of course.

I think Harry just has so much going on right now and is too busy to say yes to another big commitment. His second album will probably come out soon and music and movie promo would have overlapped. If Little Mermaid is shooting next spring it may have intervened with his touring schedule too. Maybe it would have worked out, it did with Dunkirk, but he probably doesn't want to go through the same experience again. He wasn't seriously expecting to get cast in Dunkirk so he had to change his original album schedule and do promo for both at the same time while his whole life was changing post-1D and I get an impression he was pretty exhausted at times. I hope he'll act again at some point though when he'll find time for it.

• ...wtf 1

12 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

This is a joke, right?? Lol Harry has been the only name attached to the role and this news is trending number 1 and 2 worldwide right now. Yikes if this is legit and good luck to the actor who's cast. Disney had to have another option lined up either way. 

51 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why did they have to get Rob Marshall to direct this? He's a complete hack who's still working because he got lucky.

Why is he a hack? Disney clearly don't think so, given that they've hired him to direct 4 major movies in a row.

A director doesn't have to be some "artiste", an auteur. The job of the director is to guide the production from start to finish, and end up providing the studio with a complete film as intended.

I would argue given the success of the films he directed, he did his job perfectly well. 

He seems to have proven that he knows how to manage the production of a musical (he's made 4 now) - which makes him somewhat suited to The Little Mermaid.

There is nothing wrong with being a "director-for-hire", when it comes to this kind of franchise/studio film where most creative decisions are made above the director's pay grade. 

Edited by Avatree

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

I guess we should all be grateful that Noah Centineo is gonna be booked for Masters of the Universe so there's no chance he's in this? :lol:

...or is there.

Is it wrong of me to say I have no idea who Noah Centineo is?

Edited by cookie

48 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why did they have to get Rob Marshall to direct this? He's a complete hack who's still working because he got lucky.

Hacks like Marshall should be the ones making this, so actual talented directors can be allowed to do interesting projects. Paul King dropped out of Pinocchio over creative differences, so it's not exactly a haven for auteurs. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, cookie said:

Is it wrong of me to say I have no idea who Noah Centineo is?

He was in like one popular teen movie last year (To all the boys I've loved before), became internet's new boyfriend for a month, then he became overexposed and now suddenly everyone hates him as is the tradition with stan culture...

Until we actually hear that someone else has been cast, I won't be completely convinced that Harry isn't the guy. There was talk yesterday of his manager following then unfollowing Disney Studios on Instagram and it's just odd to me that he has been the only name attached to the role, especially since it's clear that Disney wanted a big name. 

As for Marshall, he may not be some visionary director, but calling the man a hack is silly. He's good enough. 

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

I guess we should all be grateful that Noah Centineo is gonna be booked for Masters of the Universe so there's no chance he's in this? :lol:

...or is there.

There's been no new progress on MOTU in months. Doubt it'll open in 2021 anymore