CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

cf7kkqeuuaeqame.jpgalicettlg_payoff_1-sht_v13_sm.jpg

This is it, the Memorial Day Weekend has arrived. This is the weekend that brought you POLTERGEIST, SEX AND THE CITY 2, PRINCE OF PERSIA and TOMORROWLAND. A weekend where studios are very careful with the movies they put in it.

That being said, let's have fun yet be careful. 

DO NOT POST SPOILERS. NOT EVEN SPOILERS UNDER SPOILER TAGS. 

This weekend, posting a spoiler will result in an immediate Box Office Discussion Forum ban. You will not be given a warning. This is valid for both Alice Through the Looking Glass and X-Men: Apocalypse. 

This goes for all new releases usually but this is a huge weekend with two big releases that most members will watch at some point during the long weekend.

If you wish to discuss the movies with spoilers, feel free to use the X-Men: Apocalypse Spoiler Thread HERE, or use the Alice Through the Looking Glass RTM thread (or his own thread on the main forum as long as you use spoiler tags everything is fine).

We're looking forward to a great weekend and we realize the over-excitement (or meltdowns) can cause the thread to go off topic. We will be allowing everyone to post freely as long as the off topic discussions don't go overboard. I understand some of you, like me, like Pokémon (live action movie will do 300M OW btw, just want to point that out... again), wonder about Tele's age, or just want to celebrate that Donald Trump will make America great again and restore his mightiness that was lost in the last few decades. 

I think we will probably have a MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND SALE but that is something you need to ask our lord @Water Bottle. I am sure he will bring you the news about this soon.

Note: We are posting this weekend thread early to make sure everyone reads the guidelines regarding spoilers and also the international release has begun.

Also, to make things clear from the start: This is a weekend numbers thread, and as such, we expect a lot of discussion and comparisons between whatever Apocalypse's numbers are with many other major CBM, so be careful. We will not tolerate trollish behaviours and this is not meant to be a FOX vs Marvel vs DC thread. If you want that kind of discussion we have a thread for that HERE.

Keep it neutral, and keep it to a numbers discussion, and you'll be fine. If it becomes something other than that, you risk a temporary ban. So, tread lightly, please.

NOW, LET'S GET READY FOR MEMORIAL WEEKEND!!!

6ZGWOy.gif

gif-mourinho-celebracion-city.gif

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Speaking of Tomorrowland, am I the only one out there who absolutely loved it?

Brad Bird was my man. Then Tomorrowland showed me the light.

Nolan is the only real god

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

If Cameron directed Interstellar it would've either been a classic sci fi movie or one of the highest grossing films of all time.

Almost all of Cameron's movies fall into these two categories. 

That is god status.

• Like 7

Just now, grey ghost said:

If Cameron directed Interstellar it would've either been a classic sci fi movie or one of the highest grossing films of all time.

That is god status.

Plus, y'know, it would've been good.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Nolan produced Transcendence, BvS and Man of Steel.  Argument invalid.

our only Gods are Kubrick, Scorsese, Cuaron, Hitchcock, Fincher, and Tarantino

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

That is god status.

Nah, Avatar was pretty overrated

@Kalel009Shel

• Like 3

I really like Tomorrowland until it goes bonkers in the last 20 minutes - but then again I really like John Carter as well - seems that Prince of Persia / Sorcerer's Apprentice are the only big bombs from Disney that I haven't really liked.

And I am going to be happy sitting in the middle of the gulf of mexico headed to Grand Cayman this weekend so y'all have fun...

• Like 2

Deadline is out of their mind again

That combo, which together could reach $160M, is set to push the four-day B.O. up by at least 55% over last year’s FSSM total of $194.9M. Last year’s figure was the third-lowest Memorial Day weekend at the box office since 2005 after 2012’s $194M and 2010’s $192.8M. This year’s holiday could potentially rank as the second best with a four-day total of $300M-plus. 2013 posted the best Memorial Day weekend holiday ever with $314.2M.

They are calling for 160m for the openers and a 100% hold from the holdovers for the 4 days for 300m+

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 8