CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Sunday was kind to movies (apart from Alice 2), especially since Saturday sucked. The Apocalypse estimates went up 300k, and 21.3% drop on Monday is very realistic, I can see it coming in above 80M for sure as well. 

Game 7, tho... :unsure:

They are also expecting a better Monday drop than DoFP lol. 

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

:unsure:

$773M worldwide as an unknown property. Huge critical success and great WOM. I think it will at least match the $333M in the states but this time will do more than $440M OS. If they make the sequel very much the same in tone there's no way it'll be under 80% RT.

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Game 7, tho... :unsure:

Game 7 starts at 6pm Pacific and 9pm Eastern, won't hurt box office as much because Game 6 had only 10M viewers, Game 7 might get 20M which is less than what GoT gets and Sundat drops were fine.

Just now, grim22 said:

Game 7 starts at 6pm Pacific and 9pm Eastern, won't hurt box office as much because Game 6 had only 10M viewers, Game 7 might get 20M which is less than what GoT gets and Sundat drops were fine.

But the Monday drop is smaller than the one DoFP got. 

27 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Maybe instead of Avengers the damn thing they should have done a real sequel to First Class and see how it did instead of what we got, a 3D inflated event movie in the X-Men franchise that crossover both casts, something we never saw before in the superhero universe, that was meant to have the same effect on the new cast that Avengers had on Captain America and Thor. 

I think given that First Class was not terribly successful in box office terms, it made sense to see how to build it up. It may be worth noting that while domestic looks like 1st class and OS is so-so, it does seem like the DOFP event stuff may have bolstered the franchise/prequel audience in emerging markets and what not.

49 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will make over a billion. The Avengers with Thanos will make over a billion. The rest will do very well also. I'm more interested to see what will happen once the Thanos saga is completed. That's where it's going to be difficult to keep people giving a shit.  Plus, Downey might be gone by then too.  And others. Will a new cast of characters see the same success? Downey as Iron Man..  I mean everyone can talk about Disney and their marketing and all this shit but Downey as Iron Man is the main draw.

This is how people set themselves up for disappointment. 

• Like 4

At the theater to watch Love and Friendship in a sold out show as the wife is a big Austen fan. Me and the wife are the youngest here by over 30 years for sure. We are probably the only people paying full price, everyone else is on a senior citizen aka Tele discount.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

At the theater to watch Love and Friendship in a sold out show as the wife is a big Austen fan. Me and the wife are the youngest here by over 30 years for sure. We are probably the only people paying full price, everyone else is on a senior citizen aka Tele discount.

Today is "Tele day" at my theatre! 20% off tickets and concession!

Enjoy a moment, @Telemachos ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I saw it yesterday and it's wonderful. Kate Beckinsale deserves an Oscar nod.

28 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's doing over a billion. Lock it in.

There are no guarantees when it comes to a movie doing over a billion dollars so no one is going to "lock it in." I mean if the holy trinity of DC can be susceptible and not make a billion dollars then I refuse to believe there are films locked to make a billion dollars when no one knows a single thing about them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deathlife said:

If someone had told me that Apocalyse 3 day might be less than what BvS and Civil War did in a day, I might've called them crazy.

I had a club.

4 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

You're assuming I was talking about script rewrites. I was talking about paying someone to write a better script. From scratch.

But again, you're making the assumption that the finished product is not only an exact representation of the original free lit script, but that these things are also clear and obvious black-n-white decisions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deathlife said:

If someone had told me that Apocalyse 3 day might be less than what BvS and Civil War did in a day, I might've called them crazy.

Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and Ant-Man are more popular than all the Xmen.

We must accept we live in strange new times. I give it 5 years before Squirrel Girl outdoes them too at this point (I'm dead serious, I think Marvel could make a pretty decent movie out of that). 

• Like 1